Men's Soccer vs 'Gate - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > All Other Sports > 
--- Men's Soccer vs 'Gate

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted:

Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.













  
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:05 pm

ed65View user's profile






Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 851


Location: New York City





The team gave up a goal in the 87th minute and lost 1-0. Not much else to say.

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:13 am

LC FanView user's profile






Joined: 03 Oct 2007
Posts: 133







So, what was the last Lafayette sport team to have a winning record? None of the 23 teams had one in 2014-15 nor 2015-16. None in the fall of 2016-17. That includes golf, tennis, swimming, cross country besides football, basketball, or field hockey and playing against such major opponents as St Francis, Monmouth, NJIT. Almost impossible to accomplish and can only be described as absolute futility by any measure.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:09 am

NewXboView user's profile






Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 815







ed65 wrote:
The team gave up a goal in the 87th minute and lost 1-0. Not much else to say.


There is plenty to say Ed. It seemed like we were playing for a scoreless tie. We had just 4 shots (2 of them on goal) while Colgate got off 11 shots, 4 on goal. When you are playing for a playoff slot you should be attacking not dropping back to play defense.
_________________
Social Media - A toxic crucible of negativity

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:06 am

ed65View user's profile






Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 851


Location: New York City





NewXbo wrote:
ed65 wrote:
The team gave up a goal in the 87th minute and lost 1-0. Not much else to say.


There is plenty to say Ed. It seemed like we were playing for a scoreless tie. We had just 4 shots (2 of them on goal) while Colgate got off 11 shots, 4 on goal. When you are playing for a playoff slot you should be attacking not dropping back to play defense.


I was discouraged when I wrote that post - just after the game ended.  The team seemed passive in the 2nd Half (I didn't see the first half), and I wasn't aware that they were a man down until after the game.  Speaking of that, was the Red Card warranted?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:06 pm

NewXboView user's profile






Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 815







The official seemed like he wanted to be a nice guy, did not issue yellow cards in the first half but rather pulled the players aside and talked to them and then resumed play. As I recall the Colgate player got a yellow card in the second half and later Lafayette the red card when our guy undercut the Colgate guy who went up for a header. It was the right card but a stupid play.

Colgate sneaked in the winning goal just inside the left post off a rebound. (It was the right post to the spectators but I look at it as the goalie would). There was no luck involved.
_________________
Social Media - A toxic crucible of negativity


Last edited by NewXbo on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:09 pm

bison137View user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1367







ed65 wrote:
NewXbo wrote:
ed65 wrote:
The team gave up a goal in the 87th minute and lost 1-0. Not much else to say.


There is plenty to say Ed. It seemed like we were playing for a scoreless tie. We had just 4 shots (2 of them on goal) while Colgate got off 11 shots, 4 on goal. When you are playing for a playoff slot you should be attacking not dropping back to play defense.


I was discouraged when I wrote that post - just after the game ended. The team seemed passive in the 2nd Half (I didn't see the first half), and I wasn't aware that they were a man down until after the game. Speaking of that, was the Red Card warranted?


The foul met the four criteria for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity, which is an automatic red card - but just barely.  I think I might have been kind and only given a yellow, but you can certainly justify a red.   The best outcome might have been if the ref had decided the foul was in the box - which it almost was - and given a yellow and a PK.  That would likely have been better for LC than playing 50 minutes down a man, plus the serious risk that the DFK on the corner of the box, immediately after the card, might easily have produced a goal.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:10 pm

bison137View user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1367







NewXbo wrote:
The official seemed like he wanted to be a nice guy, did not issue yellow cards in the first half but rather pulled the players aside and talked to them and then resumed play. As I recall the Colgate player got a yellow card in the second half and later Lafayette the red card when our guy undercut the Colgate guy who went up for a header. It was the right card but a stupid play.



The red card was for an entirely different play in the first half.   See my post above.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:34 pm

ed65View user's profile






Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 851


Location: New York City





Thanks for clearing this up 137.  My eyes glossed over the third time I read your explanation of the foul (said with tongue firmly in cheek!).

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum