Softball - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > All Other Sports > 
--- Softball

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:58 pm

pardfanView user's profile






Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 407







I think it's time again to praise sophomore Brooke Wensel.  IMO there is no athlete at the College with greater trade value (if such were possible) than the shortstop. Coach Varner landing Wensel is comparable to Tavani getting Ross S.

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2139







I like the concept.
What coaches have trade value?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:39 pm

pardfanView user's profile






Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 407







I think that's part of the problem. Our coaches don't have to be Nick Saban. I just want men and women who are going to work really hard at their craft. Most do. The Patriot League is tough. Lafayette is a small school. I get all that. I'm an older alum and yet I'm not into lowering the effort bar or the results bar for senior coaches. We're doing that with you-know-who and I say that is short-sighted and just plain stupid.

Last edited by pardfan on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm

justasoldierView user's profile






Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 57







pardfan wrote:
I think it's time again to praise sophomore Brooke Wensel. IMO there is no athlete at the College with greater trade value (if such were possible) than the shortstop. Coach Varner landing Wensel is comparable to Tavani getting Ross S.



The middle infield is very solid, I believe Sweigert made only one error as of today. Wensel has good range at SS and makes smart plays. The team has improved each year under Varner. Unfortunately, the team has not challenged teams like Lehigh and Boston.

I believe he currently has 2 scholarship, not sure if he has split them or not. Have heard softball is getting two more. If he gets them I'm hoping he expands his recruiting to the West coast. Check Lehigh's and Boston's rosters, they have double digit's of West Coast players. No wonder they are the top two teams.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 am

oldleopardView user's profile






Joined: 05 May 2017
Posts: 1







I think it is time to really recognize the problem with this team.  Wasn't this coach supposed to be some hitting guru?  Each year the batting averages have gotten worse.  To read the season preview, nothing he said happened.  Is he really in touch with the team.   If LC wants us to compete with other PL teams they need to spring travel.  Fran had 15 games in down south before LC saw the field.  Weren't we 1 of 2 teams to beat Lehigh? and from the box score we were in a few other Patriot League games before the wheels came off the bus. Because every other PL team travelled, LC didn't hit their stride until mid season! Some of these girls have gone backwards under his watch. Agree both middle infielders are great players.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1211







Lehigh also went to Cal for a number of games.  While does get some top talent Fran said the real difference is that the players he recruits come in with a lot more experience usually vs higher levels of competition than is normal in the NE. Most of his recruits come in with well over 200 games played in HS and Travel teams. NE softball has much shorter seasons. Hence most of his players come ftom Cal, Fla Ala etc. While PL squads overall have some very good players none have the depth of talent. Think you're correct that not having a strong OOC schedule really hurts Pard program.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm

justasoldierView user's profile






Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 57







oldleopard wrote:
I think it is time to really recognize the problem with this team. Wasn't this coach supposed to be some hitting guru? Each year the batting averages have gotten worse. To read the season preview, nothing he said happened. Is he really in touch with the team. If LC wants us to compete with other PL teams they need to spring travel. Fran had 15 games in down south before LC saw the field. Weren't we 1 of 2 teams to beat Lehigh? and from the box score we were in a few other Patriot League games before the wheels came off the bus. Because every other PL team travelled, LC didn't hit their stride until mid season! Some of these girls have gone backwards under his watch. Agree both middle infielders are great players.


Just got back from the first round of the playoffs. Lehigh had no trouble with Holy Cross and Boston had no trouble with Army. We need to recruit on the West coast. The Patriot League put out a lazy program but I'm sure both Lehigh and Boston have a least a dozen or more West coast players on their rosters.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:55 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6164







Hey solja, come back to reality, please. BU spends well over a million on their softball program, We're about half that. I'd bet they're at the allowed 12 equiv level. Even if one is lucky enough to get a substantial partial here, what level of player are you surrounded with? Good players have options. Lehigh at $9.75 mil.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:27 pm

justasoldierView user's profile






Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 57







Andy wrote:
Hey solja, come back to reality, please. BU spends well over a million on their softball program, We're about half that. I'd bet they're at the allowed 12 equiv level. Even if one is lucky enough to get a substantial partial here, what level of player are you surrounded with? Good players have options. Lehigh at $9.75 mil.


I don't know about BU but Lehigh has the max allowed.

The softball game is all about pitching.  A good pitcher can carry a team. With two full scholarships, one recruited every two years, a team can be very competitive as they would always have two good pitchers (after the first two years). Softball currently has two scholarships and is likely to get two more. You can split the current two among key fielding positions and/or exceptional hitters.

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum