Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
Pard4Life

American Part 2

Pards at AU today, a place where we normally struggle.  And we are struggling right now.  This game could not have come at a worse time.  AU by 15.
Kpard

Re: American Part 2

Pard4Life wrote:
Pards at AU today, a place where we normally struggle.  And we are struggling right now.  This game could not have come at a worse time.  AU by 15.


We look like we are playing with cement shoes on?
Pard4Life

Four points in 8 minutes.
Pard4Life

I'm not watching, but we are shooting over 50%.  Must be TOs?
Pard4Life

We are shooting 60%+ from 3 and FG, but so are they, and we have 12 TOs to their 5.  Still just doesn't make sense why we are down 16!
Kpard

Pard4Life wrote:
We are shooting 60%+ from 3 and FG, but so are they, and we have 12 TOs to their 5.  Still just doesn't make sense why we are down 16!


I can't watch anymore.
Mad
pardfan

Fran should have told Seth at the beginning of the season:  "No three-point shots.  You're 6'8" and you have gotta play like it or sit."
bethlehempard

Win or lose today ... Probably lose ... What's really scary is, what will this team be like next year?
With all we had coming back -- sort of -- we aren't competing well in the PL.
We haven't had a big upset since I don't know when. It's been a dreary era. Even when we got to the finals we were underdogs and of course lost.
It's getting tiresome. 15 lean years.
pards123

The past three games it seems the shooting from the other team has been absurdly good. We had the lead down to 8 at one point and played good d and then their 6 9 center shoots a 3 as the shot clock expires and makes it. We didn't threaten again. That's the way it's been going lately.
Andy

I wouldnt devalue the playoff runs made by some of our teams in the recent past. As a fan they brought me a lot of joy. Sadly though once again we're  left with trying to salvage some respect in the post season. The way we're playing, it wouldnt surprise me if we didnt win another game.
bethlehempard

You are right, those runs were a lot of fun. It's just that after 15 years of not winning, it's hard to make the effort to go and see the same style and result. Over and over and over. And I only live 10 miles away.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. That and I'm in for the night and out of limes and of UK formula Rose's.

At some point, let's be the big dog not the little dog trying to beat the big dog.

BTW anybody coming in for Saturday events, the Easton Farmers Market, indoors, is worth a stop. Lafayette supports it and the selection is good. Open 10-2 on Northampton Street just west of the square. Parking available behind it in front of the Express building. The paper BTW is moving to a smaller more modern office.
adcs2

Lafayette played 10 players today (although Stafford and Freeland played two minutes each) but Monty did not get in.  I thought I saw him on the bench.  Anyone know why he didn't play or was he not there.
Andy

adcs2 wrote:
Lafayette played 10 players today (although Stafford and Freeland played two minutes each) but Monty did not get in.  I thought I saw him on the bench.  Anyone know why he didn't play or was he not there.


He was there in his warmup throughout the game.  IMO, which isnt worth much, he's looked lost the last few games. Based on his offers before the knee, I thought he might be an all-league player for us.
Kpard

We are circling the bowl. I don't understand and it is a shame.  Embarassed  Crying or Very sad
NewXbo

Just back from DC, amazing there is no snow on the ground in Maryland. Number 22 for AU was on fire the first half, I think 22 points. He was shooting and making shots from 5 feet beyond the arc. We got off to  sloppy start except for Bryce who kept us within striking distance. Joey and Dan did not have good games although Joey hit a couple of 3s late in the game. We couldn't handle their big guy in the paint in the first half.

Some strange calls early on, AU hit a 3 which the trailing ref ruled was shot after the shot clock expires. LC awarded the ball and play continued. After the next dead ball, AUs coach went to the refs who apparently reviewed the replay and awarded AU three points. Coach O argued the decision and after the referees conferred, AU was awarded 3 points. I haven't checked the rule yet but its my understanding that a 2 or point shot can be reviewed but a shot clock decision cannot. Anyone know if that's correct?

We played better in the second half, getting the lead down to single digits but every time we'd get it to 9 something bizarre would happen.
bethlehempard

A 2013 NCAA rule change made shot-clock decisions subject to review. My recollection is that the change applied only late in games.
As for snow there is little in south Jersey and none at the shore as I was surprised to see last week.
The late 3s by the big guy then from the corner were killers.
pards123

NewXbo wrote:
Just back from DC, amazing there is no snow on the ground in Maryland. Number 22 for AU was on fire the first half, I think 22 points. He was shooting and making shots from 5 feet beyond the arc. We got off to  sloppy start except for Bryce who kept us within striking distance. Joey and Dan did not have good games although Joey hit a couple of 3s late in the game. We couldn't handle their big guy in the paint in the first half.

Some strange calls early on, AU hit a 3 which the trailing ref ruled was shot after the shot clock expires. LC awarded the ball and play continued. After the next dead ball, AUs coach went to the refs who apparently reviewed the replay and awarded AU three points. Coach O argued the decision and after the referees conferred, AU was awarded 3 points. I haven't checked the rule yet but its my understanding that a 2 or point shot can be reviewed but a shot clock decision cannot. Anyone know if that's correct?

We played better in the second half, getting the lead down to single digits but every time we'd get it to 9 something bizarre would happen.


I was there too. That delay was absolutely absurd. The strange thing was no one in the crowd seemed to care. The atmosphere there was horrible. The Lafayette fans were way louder than the American fans, who seemed half asleep
SixtyEighter

The disputed shot was a 2 according to the replay which showed the shooter's front foot clearly inside the 3 point line. It really didn't matter as we couldn't hit a shot in the middle part of the first half while American pulled away. This is a familiar pattern by now. Fall behind big and play catch up . The recent record shows the futility of that strategem.This once promising season is quickly going down the drain.
NewXbo

Interesting that the play by play on the Lafayette site indicated that the game was played under protest at 15:48. That entry is now missing from the Lafayette play by play.
pardfan

bethlehempard wrote:
Win or lose today ... Probably lose ... What's really scary is, what will this team be like next year?
With all we had coming back -- sort of -- we aren't competing well in the PL.
We haven't had a big upset since I don't know when. It's been a dreary era. Even when we got to the finals we were underdogs and of course lost.
It's getting tiresome. 15 lean years.


Next yr will be Fran's last.  His coaching tenure can't possibly survive the last four recruiting classes (since this yr's seniors)
seenalot

Fran may step down, but he isn't being shown the door anymore than Frank will - not in my lifetime.  As for Bruce - doubt the glow of 150 has worn off so that's not likely anytime soon either.
ed65

pards123 wrote:
NewXbo wrote:
Just back from DC, amazing there is no snow on the ground in Maryland. Number 22 for AU was on fire the first half, I think 22 points. He was shooting and making shots from 5 feet beyond the arc. We got off to  sloppy start except for Bryce who kept us within striking distance. Joey and Dan did not have good games although Joey hit a couple of 3s late in the game. We couldn't handle their big guy in the paint in the first half.

Some strange calls early on, AU hit a 3 which the trailing ref ruled was shot after the shot clock expires. LC awarded the ball and play continued. After the next dead ball, AUs coach went to the refs who apparently reviewed the replay and awarded AU three points. Coach O argued the decision and after the referees conferred, AU was awarded 3 points. I haven't checked the rule yet but its my understanding that a 2 or point shot can be reviewed but a shot clock decision cannot. Anyone know if that's correct?

We played better in the second half, getting the lead down to single digits but every time we'd get it to 9 something bizarre would happen.


I was there too. That delay was absolutely absurd. The strange thing was no one in the crowd seemed to care. The atmosphere there was horrible. The Lafayette fans were way louder than the American fans, who seemed half asleep


I suspect the AU Transfer fans no more want to be in the PL than we want them in it.
ed65

I have completely lost interest in the M/W teams.  In spite of Bison 137's opinion (always masked as facts, of course), I think LC played a very weak OOC Schedule, and has paid the price big time in the League games.  The OOC Record was really deceiving as it turns out.  The sign that the women also are NG was losing to Columbia in NYC.  That team stinks (7-15, 1-7 in Ivy) but it they out-rebounded us and hit shots when they needed them.

Fran's teams seem really weak on defense in crunch time, and the lack of effective rebounding is a killer.  Also, like the women, we seem to be out coached and out recruited - it always shows up in February.

I remain really discouraged about LC sports, the win over LU in Yankee Stadium aside.
Lafalum

You know, I believe we can be competitive in most any sport the PL offers without compromising any core values. You need the will…as an institution to get it done..we don't.. because there are those who would like us to be something else, and more crucially there is no one articulating how to be successful.
We need leadership that knows how to how to succeed and  leadership, institutionally, that can appreciate why that is important. We have neither at the moment. There is nothing there to stop us from being successful whether it be basketball, soccer, fh, football or tennis. Right now, there is NOT ONE sport in a position to dominate the league at the moment. Every once in a while there is some light but instead of strengthening that program we do our best to screw it up.
I hope I am wrong. I really do !!!
NotGordonAustin

ed65 wrote:
pards123 wrote:
NewXbo wrote:
Just back from DC, amazing there is no snow on the ground in Maryland. Number 22 for AU was on fire the first half, I think 22 points. He was shooting and making shots from 5 feet beyond the arc. We got off to  sloppy start except for Bryce who kept us within striking distance. Joey and Dan did not have good games although Joey hit a couple of 3s late in the game. We couldn't handle their big guy in the paint in the first half.

Some strange calls early on, AU hit a 3 which the trailing ref ruled was shot after the shot clock expires. LC awarded the ball and play continued. After the next dead ball, AUs coach went to the refs who apparently reviewed the replay and awarded AU three points. Coach O argued the decision and after the referees conferred, AU was awarded 3 points. I haven't checked the rule yet but its my understanding that a 2 or point shot can be reviewed but a shot clock decision cannot. Anyone know if that's correct?

We played better in the second half, getting the lead down to single digits but every time we'd get it to 9 something bizarre would happen.


I was there too. That delay was absolutely absurd. The strange thing was no one in the crowd seemed to care. The atmosphere there was horrible. The Lafayette fans were way louder than the American fans, who seemed half asleep


I suspect the AU Transfer fans no more want to be in the PL than we want them in it.


To the contrary. We love being in the PL, as we continue to kick your sorry team's butt year after year.
ed65

Thank you not Gordon: for the mature response.
NotGordonAustin

ed65 wrote:
Thank you not Gordon: for the mature response.


Just as mature as "AU Transfers," Ed. Have a nice day.
bethlehempard

American University's most news-worthy event in its history: the former president made repeated obscene calls to a woman. He left but oddly enough was welcomed back as a professor.

In 1990, Berendzen resigned as president of American University after a woman who received indecent calls complained to police, who traced the calls to his office.[1] Berendzen received no fine or community service requirements for this misdemeanor charge, but was sentenced to two thirty-day suspended terms and directed to continue therapy. Earlier, he had checked himself into Johns Hopkins Hospital.[2] Three years later he published a book addressing the calls and his experience as a victim of child molestation. Eventually he would return to American University in a teaching role. Many students would rally around him in an effort to support his return to the post of President of the University, but he declined this call.

Yes we need a better team but we don't want to go about it the "American" way.

** Please note that I don't mean to imply that this fellow didn't represent the highest ideals of American University; to the contrary, I'm sure he did.

And above all ... I'm tired of the non-football-school free riders and Georgetown, holier-than-thou about football aid but less scrupulous about their basketball team.

Someday maybe we can toss them all out.
NotGordonAustin

bethlehempard wrote:
American University's most news-worthy event in its history: the former president made repeated obscene calls to a woman. He left but oddly enough was welcomed back as a professor.

In 1990, Berendzen resigned as president of American University after a woman who received indecent calls complained to police, who traced the calls to his office.[1] Berendzen received no fine or community service requirements for this misdemeanor charge, but was sentenced to two thirty-day suspended terms and directed to continue therapy. Earlier, he had checked himself into Johns Hopkins Hospital.[2] Three years later he published a book addressing the calls and his experience as a victim of child molestation. Eventually he would return to American University in a teaching role. Many students would rally around him in an effort to support his return to the post of President of the University, but he declined this call.

Yes we need a better team but we don't want to go about it the "American" way.

** Please note that I don't mean to imply that this fellow didn't represent the highest ideals of American University; to the contrary, I'm sure he did.

And above all ... I'm tired of the non-football-school free riders and Georgetown, holier-than-thou about football aid but less scrupulous about their basketball team.

Someday maybe we can toss them all out.


Wow, you really got me there. Because one disturbed person totally represents everyone that went to American University. And, somehow, we are tied together with whatever indecipherable problem you have with Georgetown. Forgive me for ever sullying your precious board. But we'll be in the PL for quite a while, brains. Get used to it.
gopards81

American Part 2

I've read the comments on this board and many thoughts run through my mind.

I can't help but think that most of FOH's roller coaster year has a lot to do with his quirky ways.  Invested in some players that can't get the job done.

For instance - if we are such an offense minded team, why do we allow a player to play 32 plus minutes almost every game with very little production on the floor offensively and he falls asleep on the floor defensively. IE. The Holy Cross game.  Major mistake! Why? Are we letting a player sit on his laurels so not to ruin some type of national ranking he's holding onto?  Our beloved commentators always think it's important to mention this ranking.  Just saying.

Are we allowing a supposedly sick player to return to the bench at halftime without any expectation of going in (BU game)?  If he is sick and throwing up, keep him away from the rest of the players.  Or maybe by going in and playing only the second half would tremendously reduce the averages of his "STATS".  I'm sure that was top of his mind.

Scott finally had a good shooting game against AU, BUT did it help us win? No it was a trade off of points with another player that usually scores more.  He seems to look FOR Ruefer aggressively and look off others. He seems to play help defense with some and not others.  This doesn't belong in D-1 basketball.

With young family members at LC, I have been well versed of the relationships between players and even more so the explicit admiration of the coach for two or three players.  This is a mockery of the program and of my contribution to the school every year.

Can we expect just an ounce of defense from Seth?  

Are we teaching our new young "big" freshmen how to have a little poise in a game instead of always coming out with a bad "a**" attitude.  This isn't high school basketball where a player is able to bully everyone because he is bigger.  No more "timber" style basketball. Stay on your feet and play.

Lindler, although he has a lot of maturing to do, he is a sheer hustler and exudes a lot of athleticism.  Besides Trist, he is a very viable investment athletically.  Getting him to do what is right on the floor is the challenge.  

Trist by far is the best Big man in the PL.  I'd even go to say, he is probably one of three top players in the league.  I actually like him coming out and facing the basket for a nice midrange every now and then.  

Just picking on the starters......., because......., well, to much is given, much is required!.

Off the bench players can be very valuable if played right (and I can think of two specifically - Ruefer and Boykins).  They get the hook very easily.  Has got to be a confidence breaker. Boykin more so than Ruefer.  Scott seems to want Ruefer on the floor and finds him.  Not so much with Boykins.  Can someone verify whether or not Boykin is playing with a steel plate in his shoe?  My nephew tells me turf toe?  I've noticed he hasn't been exploding to the basket like last year.  

Hoffman gives up way to much around the rim.  Now he's starting?????  Why, because he made a basket or two in a game?  Scratching my head on that one.

Have we totally given up on Flannigan?  FOH has totally demolished this kids confidence!  He used to be a nice, physical player.

Come on FOH.  Get rid of your age old quirky standards.  Stop overplaying the guys you "like".  Musters and Freeland are both decent big men.  I'd put Freeland in before Hoffman.  His defense is much better than both Seths and Hoffmans and he is long.  Will alter some shots.  

I'd hold out on Stafford for about two more years.  Kid is not strong with the ball and makes me nervous.  Did I see a behind the back pass at the end of the AU game.  FOH is ok with that?  It was an ugly TO.  He sits for the next three games.

Time for a change soon!!!!!!!!!  I don't care how many more games we win.  I'm sure they will be won hanging onto "old ways".  Not good!
NewXbo

You sound like head coaching material. I suggest you send your resume to the Athletic Director.  Oh, and by the way, you are still spelling Lindner's name wrong. And yes, Boykins does have a steel plate in his foot. My sources tell me its the same steel plate they took out of your head.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum