Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
bethlehempard

American vs. Boston snooze

I can't care about this game. American vs. Boston. zzzzz

"The Patriot League promotes opportunities for students to compete in Division I intercollegiate athletics programs within a context that holds paramount the high academic standards and integrity of member institutions, and the academic and personal growth of student-athletes."

The finalists are good schools but not core schools.
If the league had to compromise it should have been for football.
Kpard

I will most likely watch and hold my nose. Then have to go take a shower. Would be leaning towards AU as I just don't see MC "representing" the PL.
Grandpa Tom

Very Happy Did you ever think you would be cheering for au under any circumstance?   Well, here goes  GO EAGLES!!!!
Lafalum

I actually think this might be an interesting game and the winner, whomever, could surprise at the dance.
carney2

For those of you not aware, the game will be played in front of literally hundreds on Friday evening at 7:30.  The telecast will be on the somewhat obscure CBS Sports Network which, thanks to haranguing my cable provider, I now receive.  May even watch, given the convenient time slot.

Unlike most of you, I will be going with a hearty GO TERRIERS!  Metro has a far better team and has a MUCH better chance of doing something at The Dance.  Better for the League than a meek once and done.  Besides, the folks in Idaho, Missouri and Tennessee have no clue about Metropolitan College and its open admissions hoopsters.  All they'll know is that a large state university is playing someone from a no-name league.  

What's your guess for attendance?  I'll start with 1,350.
leopard88

1.  The game is tomorrow at 7:30, not Friday.

2.  I will disagree on the attendance.  The chance to go dancing draws people like moths to a flame.  I will go with 4600*.

Remember the old ECC days -- Towson couldn't draw flies either, but when it would homecourt itself into the finals after a 3-11 season, it would sell out the Towson Center.

* -- Subject to change if BU is on spring break.
adcs2

BU is on spring break
pards123

The 2011 America East championship game played at BU (Played on a Saturday) drew 3,845.
bethlehempard

With an American win, Lafayette can claim a victory over an NCAA team. Grasping here.
BU has sold out its courtside seats. I don't think Jack Nicholson will be there and other tickets are available.
Jones really nailed what they had to do to Lafayette in an interview before that game (most posters here could probably have done the same).
AU beat Boston by 30 then lost game two.
Zzzzzzz
bison137

leopard88 wrote:


2.  I will disagree on the attendance.  The chance to go dancing draws people like moths to a flame.  I will go with 4600*.

* -- Subject to change if BU is on spring break.



Spring Break is largely irrelevant since almost no students attend Boston U games anyway.    Their nationally televised semi-final game on Saturday drew 1200 - which may have been their highest attendance of the year.
leopard88

bison137 wrote:
leopard88 wrote:


2.  I will disagree on the attendance.  The chance to go dancing draws people like moths to a flame.  I will go with 4600*.

* -- Subject to change if BU is on spring break.



Spring Break is largely irrelevant since almost no students attend Boston U games anyway.    Their nationally televised semi-final game on Saturday drew 1200 - which may have been their highest attendance of the year.

I don't think it's irrelevant.  Students who couldn't find the gym without a campus map suddenly show up when they think they can mug for the cameras and storm the court.  See my Towson example above.

I think attendance will still see a bump even if most of the students are gone.  However, I am revising my prediction to 3,400.
Lafalum

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of the Boston media coverage and the ease of getting to the Commonwealth Ave site ( which is close to Fenway). The potential of having an NCAA team in Boston could be a turn on for the locals. All in all, good for the PL.  I wish we were in it!! Aganis seats 7200, getting 4,000 at the game wouldn't surprise me.
leopard88

Agreed, Lafalum.  Actually, a crowd over 5000 wouldn't surprise me.  However, I am being conservative in my prediction because I don't like the taste of crow.
Pard4Life

Couldn't care about this game:  two teams that do not belong in the Patriot League.

It's usually good to support the PL, but I do not root for the following teams under ANY circumstances:

1) Lehigh all sports
2) American in PL sports
3) Boston U in PL sports
Kpard

The Eagles are taking it to them, again! FOH needs to study their films.
Lafalum

Jones is being given a coaching clinic by Brennan. (and Pete Carrill by proxy??)
carney2

Just tuned in.  Forgot about it.  Does Metro really have only 24 points in almost 30 minutes?
Lafalum

Boston doesn't deserve this game losing at home. Their shooters didn't show tonight.


Nice game by AU great execution. good luck to AU in the tournament!!
Lafalum

leopard88 wrote:
Agreed, Lafalum.  Actually, a crowd over 5000 wouldn't surprise me.  However, I am being conservative in my prediction because I don't like the taste of crow.


2663 I guess the Bostonians weren't that impressed. Nice support from the AU folks though
bison137

Lafalum wrote:
leopard88 wrote:
Agreed, Lafalum.  Actually, a crowd over 5000 wouldn't surprise me.  However, I am being conservative in my prediction because I don't like the taste of crow.


2663 I guess the Bostonians weren't that impressed.



That doubled their previous high for the season.
Lafalum

I will give all the credit to Brennan and his players and the administration at AU. He took a 10-20 team picked to finish 9th or whatever and made them champions. His AD gave them support in the form of a first class staff and the school supported him. Nice support by their fans who bussed to boston and make themselves heard, that might have had an effect on the Boston players.

Meanwhile we languish and are unable to produce one, I'll say it again ONE WINNING season from any team so far this year, Even those that have the advantage of  scholarships when most of the league opponents do not. .
leopard88

Does anyone have any barbecue sauce?  It might make the crow taste a little better.
Long Time Fan

Lafalum wrote:
Boston doesn't deserve this game losing at home. Their shooters didn't show tonight.


Nice game by AU great execution. good luck to AU in the tournament!!


Defense and rebounding.  That's why American is at the top of the league.
It's also why Lafayette is where they are.

Maybe next year.
NotGordonAustin

To the few of you who were respectful to AU this season, thank you. But it's amazing how petty many of you have been, and continue to be. (By contrast, the posters at Crosssports have been very fair to us all season.) When Bucknell and Lehigh earned NCAA berths the last four years, I did nothing but root for their success in the tournament, because it was good for the Patriot League. If you can stop looking down your noses at us, it would be nice to have your support. We've done nothing to bring down your precious PL since we arrived--and, it bears mentioning again, the PL Scholar Athlete of the Year this year was AU's Jesse Reed.

If and when Lafayette makes the NCAAs again, I'll root for you. It would be nice if you could root for us. But if you can't, in all honesty, to hell with you. Go AU!
carney2

Long Time Fan wrote:
Defense and rebounding.  That's why American is at the top of the league.

It's also why Lafayette is where they are.

Maybe next year.


You're either a shooter or you're not.

You're either big enough and strong enough to be a rebounder or you're not.

Defense, on the other hand, would appear to be a teachable commodity.  It would also seem to be something that can be demanded by a coach - as in "You either play some serious defense or you sit."
Kpard

NotGordonAustin wrote:
To the few of you who were respectful to AU this season, thank you. But it's amazing how petty many of you have been, and continue to be. (By contrast, the posters at Crosssports have been very fair to us all season.) When Bucknell and Lehigh earned NCAA berths the last four years, I did nothing but root for their success in the tournament, because it was good for the Patriot League. If you can stop looking down your noses at us, it would be nice to have your support. We've done nothing to bring down your precious PL since we arrived--and, it bears mentioning again, the PL Scholar Athlete of the Year this year was AU's Jesse Reed.

If and when Lafayette makes the NCAAs again, I'll root for you. It would be nice if you could root for us. But if you can't, in all honesty, to hell with you. Go AU!


I was rooting for them to get in and will continue. Nice win, very nice, wish we knew how to do that.
bethlehempard

NotGordonAustin wrote:
To the few of you who were respectful to AU this season, thank you. But it's amazing how petty many of you have been, and continue to be. (By contrast, the posters at Crosssports have been very fair to us all season.) When Bucknell and Lehigh earned NCAA berths the last four years, I did nothing but root for their success in the tournament, because it was good for the Patriot League. If you can stop looking down your noses at us, it would be nice to have your support. We've done nothing to bring down your precious PL since we arrived--and, it bears mentioning again, the PL Scholar Athlete of the Year this year was AU's Jesse Reed.

If and when Lafayette makes the NCAAs again, I'll root for you. It would be nice if you could root for us. But if you can't, in all honesty, to hell with you. Go AU!


The issue in my case isn't looking down at anybody. It's my belief that our core schools support football which is a sacrifice at the FCS level. It's a worthwhile sacrifice but a big expense with little direct payback.
That's our core. Then Army and Navy are great regional additions and special cases. They do a lot for the league. Plus there was a time when a move to the 1AA level in football was at least rumored.
I also think Fordham will wake up some day and play basketball in the league.
There is great football history among the core schools dating in some cases to the 19th century. They didn't drop the sport when times were tough. That is what makes the league matter.
I wish AU well in the tournament. It's just not a school I have followed and loved or hated for 40-plus years.
NotGordonAustin

bethlehempard wrote:
NotGordonAustin wrote:
To the few of you who were respectful to AU this season, thank you. But it's amazing how petty many of you have been, and continue to be. (By contrast, the posters at Crosssports have been very fair to us all season.) When Bucknell and Lehigh earned NCAA berths the last four years, I did nothing but root for their success in the tournament, because it was good for the Patriot League. If you can stop looking down your noses at us, it would be nice to have your support. We've done nothing to bring down your precious PL since we arrived--and, it bears mentioning again, the PL Scholar Athlete of the Year this year was AU's Jesse Reed.

If and when Lafayette makes the NCAAs again, I'll root for you. It would be nice if you could root for us. But if you can't, in all honesty, to hell with you. Go AU!


The issue in my case isn't looking down at anybody. It's my belief that our core schools support football which is a sacrifice at the FCS level. It's a worthwhile sacrifice but a big expense with little direct payback.
That's our core. Then Army and Navy are great regional additions and special cases. They do a lot for the league. Plus there was a time when a move to the 1AA level in football was at least rumored.
I also think Fordham will wake up some day and play basketball in the league.
There is great football history among the core schools dating in some cases to the 19th century. They didn't drop the sport when times were tough. That is what makes the league matter.
I wish AU well in the tournament. It's just not a school I have followed and loved or hated for 40-plus years.


Understood, and I thank you. I truly respect the traditions of the PL, because I think this league should be a model to everyone for how you balance athletics and academics in a sane manner. All I'm saying is that AU has moved greatly to improve our academic standing, our endowment and our retention rates since joining the PL. We're moving in the right direction. And when some--not all--on this board take snide little jabs at us, it ticks me off. But, again, thank you for your very reasoned post.
Pard4Life

NotGordonAustin wrote:
To the few of you who were respectful to AU this season, thank you. But it's amazing how petty many of you have been, and continue to be. (By contrast, the posters at Crosssports have been very fair to us all season.) When Bucknell and Lehigh earned NCAA berths the last four years, I did nothing but root for their success in the tournament, because it was good for the Patriot League. If you can stop looking down your noses at us, it would be nice to have your support. We've done nothing to bring down your precious PL since we arrived--and, it bears mentioning again, the PL Scholar Athlete of the Year this year was AU's Jesse Reed.

If and when Lafayette makes the NCAAs again, I'll root for you. It would be nice if you could root for us. But if you can't, in all honesty, to hell with you. Go AU!


Well, then I'll see you there.

This is our dark corner of the bar so if you want to troll, go ahead, but don't be shocked what you see.

We are not looking down our nose at you.  AU has a great public affairs and IA program, but I just don't like the school, as much as I don't like Rutgers.  Also, AU was on an athletics tier much higher than the rest of the league... the PL tournament was practically hosted by AU for three years... AU made the first three tournament finals... AU volleyball and field hockey did not lose a PL contest for I don't know how many years... you use(d) transfer players, primarily international, without abandon... FH players from Argentina and Chile who were practically junior national team members... our former president is on your BOT.

Having one team be successful is irrelevant to the league.  I've argued this with the Lehigh people... Lehigh beating Duke does NOTHING for Lafayette.  Bucknell beating Kansas does NOTHING for Colgate.  What has Gonzaga's success done for the WAC's image? (aside from maybe spreading around a few more $$$)  St. Mary's, Pepperdine and San Fran all have strong basketball traditions, but you do not view the WCC as a power conference.  In football, Boise State's strength actually doomed the WAC.  It's a zero-sum game here.  So if American beats Michigan or whomever, the Patriot League will not change.  It has not changed in the ten years since Bucknell beat Kansas.  

Your turnaround is certainly shocking this year though... thought AU would be in the bottom-half for certain.  Can we have your coach?

It does not really matter that you have the PL Scholar Athlete of the Year... Arizona State produces Rhodes Scholars after all.  

And this is sports for crying out loud... if we don't like AU, we just don't like AU! It's not like I'm going to throw eggs at AU students or sneer at AU graduates.
ed65

Perhaps not gordon austin can explain why some of us (myself included) feel that AU does not belong in the PL.  It seems pretty clear that AU has figured out how to game the AI Index of the PL.  Part of it may be transfer students and part of it may be importing foreign players who don't take the SATs or somehow avoid the AI requirement.  However, in the realm of being fair, I am certainly willing to change my mind about AU if some hard evidence can be demonstrated.  Kudos to the player who won the PL Academic Award - good for that kid but I suspect it is an absolute aberration in the overall scheme of things.

Unlike some on the board, I will root for AU in the Tournament becasue they do represent the league.  I'm happy Met College didn't win bec. their team is a utter joke when it comes to the players' academics.

I hope not gordon austin will take this post in the spirit that it was intended.  I will admit that my opinion about AU may be based on lack of knowledge.

By the way, why doesn't AU field a baseball team or softball for that matter?  I can't believe they still don'tsponsor those sports.
bison137

ed65 wrote:
Perhaps not gordon austin can explain why some of us (myself included) feel that AU does not belong in the PL.  It seems pretty clear that AU has figured out how to game the AI Index of the PL.  Part of it may be transfer students and part of it may be importing foreign players who don't take the SATs or somehow avoid the AI requirement.  However, in the realm of being fair, I am certainly willing to change my mind about AU if some hard evidence can be demonstrated.  Kudos to the player who won the PL Academic Award - good for that kid but I suspect it is an absolute aberration in the overall scheme of things.

Unlike some on the board, I will root for AU in the Tournament becasue they do represent the league.  I'm happy Met College didn't win bec. their team is a utter joke when it comes to the players' academics.

I hope not gordon austin will take this post in the spirit that it was intended.  I will admit that my opinion about AU may be based on lack of knowledge.

By the way, why doesn't AU field a baseball team or softball for that matter?  I can't believe they still don'tsponsor those sports.



1.   Foreign players have to take the SAT for AI purposes.    In any event, it has been years since AU had a player who didn't attend HS in the U.S.   As for transfers, it might be possible to game the system a bit once the player has been in college for more than three semesters.

2.  Looking at SAT's,  the average SAT for American is not a lot different than that of most other PL schools.   The midpoint for AU's two-part score is 1255.   Lafayette's midpoint is 1275.   Don't know about other factors.

3.  I agree that Boston U is a poor PL fit - but to be fair, most of their players are not in Metro College and some are good students who would have been admitted to Lafayette.

4.   I don't know about American's reasons for not offering certain sports, but some of it may have to do with them having few athletic fields and no room to expand.   Don't know.
Lafalum

All their  basketball players  played at US high schools  but they certainly do  have several foreigns on their field hockey and  soccer squads. But Lafayette will have 3 foreigners next year on the FH squad. And last time I looked we do have foreign players on both ball teams. Yes, foreigners must take the SAT's and for them it's a little more difficult given its in English. I think the issue of the other guy's cheating on the AI is a straw man. We need to look at ourselves in the mirror before start taking shots at everyone else and what I have seen in the last ten years isn't pretty for the most part.

I also can't point to one person who is responsible! This has been a team effort.
carney2

How did we get into this "American is a misfit" conversation?  What a pile of crap.

FACT:  They did something we couldn't do - beat the Metros - twice.  Blew 'em out in both wins.

FACT:  They are the Patriot League champions.

FACT:  They are going to The Dance.  They are our representative.  Love 'em till it's over.
Lafalum

carney2 wrote:
How did we get into this "American is a misfit" conversation?  What a pile of crap.

FACT:  They did something we couldn't do - beat the Metros - twice.  Blew 'em out in both wins.

FACT:  They are the Patriot League champions.

FACT:  They are going to The Dance.  They are our representative.  Love 'em till it's over.


Totally agree Carney. We have a problem and problem is us!!!
ed65

I agree with Carney as well.  As Winnie the Pooh or whoever said "The problem is us."  

I also appreciate Bison's comment about the foreign players being required to take the SATs.  As I clearly stated, I am happy to get educated on the AI nonsense.  But even Bison might admit that AU does something that the core schools don't do to to dominate the FH, soccer and volleyball sports (and baskeball, I suspect, as well).   Also, as a counterpoint to Bison average SAT scores of the student body are one thing but average SAT scores of athletes would be a much better metric.  Also, as Lafalum points out, the soccer and FH situation is a little different than basketball re: the foreign players attending U.S. High School.  

One other point.  LC's success in FH shows that LC can win PL Championships with scholarships, great coaching and alumni/parental support IN SPITE OF an adminsitration and faculty who are at best lukewarm towards athletics and don't  to give a rat's behind about winning.

I have long been suspicious of AU (since they joined the league) but again, I'm willing to continue to be educated and I will root for AU in the tournament (as I root for all PL teams accept the bunch from Bet'lum).
ed65

carney2 wrote:
How did we get into this "American is a misfit" conversation?  What a pile of crap.

FACT:  They did something we couldn't do - beat the Metros - twice.  Blew 'em out in both wins.

FACT:  They are the Patriot League champions.

FACT:  They are going to The Dance.  They are our representative.  Love 'em till it's over.


Carney: while I agree with your  point , please bear in mind that this is a board for expressing opinions about LC Sports, the PL etc. and I really don't need to read your "What a pile of crap" comments.  With all due respect, you have thrown around lots of  crap on the board as well.
Lafalum

ed65 wrote:
I agree with Carney as well.  As Winnie the Pooh or whoever said "The problem is us."  

I also appreciate Bison's comment about the foreign players being required to take the SATs.  As I clearly stated, I am happy to get educated on the AI nonsense.  But even Bison might admit that AU does something that the core schools don't do to to dominate the FH, soccer and volleyball sports (and baskeball, I suspect, as well).   Also, as a counterpoint to Bison average SAT scores of the student body are one thing but average SAT scores of athletes would be a much better metric.  Also, as Lafalum points out, the soccer and FH situation is a little different than basketball re: the foreign players attending U.S. High School.  

One other point.  LC's success in FH shows that LC can win PL Championships with scholarships, great coaching and alumni/parental support IN SPITE OF an adminsitration and faculty who are at best lukewarm towards athletics and don't  to give a rat's behind about winning.

I have long been suspicious of AU (since they joined the league) but again, I'm willing to continue to be educated and I will root for AU in the tournament (as I root for all PL teams accept the bunch from Bet'lum).


Think it was Pogo where that quote comes from.
ed65

You are correct Lafalum.  It was Pogo!
NotGordonAustin

bison137 wrote:
ed65 wrote:
Perhaps not gordon austin can explain why some of us (myself included) feel that AU does not belong in the PL.  It seems pretty clear that AU has figured out how to game the AI Index of the PL.  Part of it may be transfer students and part of it may be importing foreign players who don't take the SATs or somehow avoid the AI requirement.  However, in the realm of being fair, I am certainly willing to change my mind about AU if some hard evidence can be demonstrated.  Kudos to the player who won the PL Academic Award - good for that kid but I suspect it is an absolute aberration in the overall scheme of things.

Unlike some on the board, I will root for AU in the Tournament becasue they do represent the league.  I'm happy Met College didn't win bec. their team is a utter joke when it comes to the players' academics.

I hope not gordon austin will take this post in the spirit that it was intended.  I will admit that my opinion about AU may be based on lack of knowledge.

By the way, why doesn't AU field a baseball team or softball for that matter?  I can't believe they still don'tsponsor those sports.



1.   Foreign players have to take the SAT for AI purposes.    In any event, it has been years since AU had a player who didn't attend HS in the U.S.   As for transfers, it might be possible to game the system a bit once the player has been in college for more than three semesters.

2.  Looking at SAT's,  the average SAT for American is not a lot different than that of most other PL schools.   The midpoint for AU's two-part score is 1255.   Lafayette's midpoint is 1275.   Don't know about other factors.

3.  I agree that Boston U is a poor PL fit - but to be fair, most of their players are not in Metro College and some are good students who would have been admitted to Lafayette.

4.   I don't know about American's reasons for not offering certain sports, but some of it may have to do with them having few athletic fields and no room to expand.   Don't know.


AU dropped baseball in 1986 because the spring academic calendar ended in late April, but most schools, of course, play well into the summer, and we couldn't/wouldn't once school ended. We made up for it by getting a few local schools to play a fall schedule while we were in the CAA, but Maryland was prohibited from playing by the ACC and the unofficial "league" soon disbanded. At the time, we were spending $100K per year on it, the most we spent at the time on any sport.

Given the strength of the PL in men's lacrosse, I would love for us to add that  sport (we have a women's lax team that is very competitive despite having next to no scholarships). But we don't have a facility for them to play in and no chance of getting our neighbors in Ward 3 (the richest part of town) to agree to allow us to build one.
ed65

NotGordonAustin wrote:
bison137 wrote:
ed65 wrote:
Perhaps not gordon austin can explain why some of us (myself included) feel that AU does not belong in the PL.  It seems pretty clear that AU has figured out how to game the AI Index of the PL.  Part of it may be transfer students and part of it may be importing foreign players who don't take the SATs or somehow avoid the AI requirement.  However, in the realm of being fair, I am certainly willing to change my mind about AU if some hard evidence can be demonstrated.  Kudos to the player who won the PL Academic Award - good for that kid but I suspect it is an absolute aberration in the overall scheme of things.

Unlike some on the board, I will root for AU in the Tournament becasue they do represent the league.  I'm happy Met College didn't win bec. their team is a utter joke when it comes to the players' academics.

I hope not gordon austin will take this post in the spirit that it was intended.  I will admit that my opinion about AU may be based on lack of knowledge.

By the way, why doesn't AU field a baseball team or softball for that matter?  I can't believe they still don'tsponsor those sports.



1.   Foreign players have to take the SAT for AI purposes.    In any event, it has been years since AU had a player who didn't attend HS in the U.S.   As for transfers, it might be possible to game the system a bit once the player has been in college for more than three semesters.

2.  Looking at SAT's,  the average SAT for American is not a lot different than that of most other PL schools.   The midpoint for AU's two-part score is 1255.   Lafayette's midpoint is 1275.   Don't know about other factors.

3.  I agree that Boston U is a poor PL fit - but to be fair, most of their players are not in Metro College and some are good students who would have been admitted to Lafayette.

4.   I don't know about American's reasons for not offering certain sports, but some of it may have to do with them having few athletic fields and no room to expand.   Don't know.


AU dropped baseball in 1986 because the spring academic calendar ended in late April, but most schools, of course, play well into the summer, and we couldn't/wouldn't once school ended. We made up for it by getting a few local schools to play a fall schedule while we were in the CAA, but Maryland was prohibited from playing by the ACC and the unofficial "league" soon disbanded. At the time, we were spending $100K per year on it, the most we spent at the time on any sport.

Given the strength of the PL in men's lacrosse, I would love for us to add that  sport (we have a women's lax team that is very competitive despite having next to no scholarships). But we don't have a facility for them to play in and no chance of getting our neighbors in Ward 3 (the richest part of town) to agree to allow us to build one.


Thanks notgordonaustin:  Of course, lots of urban schools deal with the lack of space for athletic facilities on campus by building or leasing facilities off campus.  It doesn't seem like it takes much imagination to do that - maybe AU Alums need to get after the school admin to address the lack of offering many intercollegiate sports issue.  It seems like AU is satisfied to offer the NCAA Minimum at this point.  What do you think, nga?
NotGordonAustin

ed65 wrote:
Thanks notgordonaustin:  Of course, lots of urban schools deal with the lack of space for athletic facilities on campus by building or leasing facilities off campus.  It doesn't seem like it takes much imagination to do that - maybe AU Alums need to get after the school admin to address the lack of offering many intercollegiate sports issue.  It seems like AU is satisfied to offer the NCAA Minimum at this point.  What do you think, nga?


Unfortunately, there is not much groundswell for additional athletic facilities among the students or alums. As we don't sell out the events we do have, asking for more is likely a non-starter. For now, those of us who love athletics have to put our faith in the administration and the Athletic Department that they'll be able to improve the on-campus facilities we do have. We did an extensive renovation of all the locker room in Bender last summer, and have added the two large scoreboards in the arena. There are some long-range plans for improving Bender further in the next few years.
Pard4Life

Post-season action:

Boston U is at Illinois in the NIT per the rule of the regular season champion making it to the postseason.  Good rule.

Holy Cross is at Brown (Brown?!) in the CIT.  

In fact, 5 of the 8 Ivy schools are in the postseason (Harvard NCAAs, Princeton CBI, Yale, Brown, Columbia CIT).
Franks Tanks

Pard4Life wrote:
Post-season action:

Boston U is at Illinois in the NIT per the rule of the regular season champion making it to the postseason.  Good rule.

Holy Cross is at Brown (Brown?!) in the CIT.  

In fact, 5 of the 8 Ivy schools are in the postseason (Harvard NCAAs, Princeton CBI, Yale, Brown, Columbia CIT).


Illinois is actually playing at BU for some reason.  Is it a bid situation?

BU is crushing the Illini..terriers up 30-15 with 3 minutes left in the 1st half.
pards123

It's not a bid situation.

I found that Iillinois's arena is undergoing renovation, so BU was given the home game.
Franks Tanks

pards123 wrote:
It's not a bid situation.

I found that Iillinois's arena is undergoing renovation, so BU was given the home game.


Thanks.

The game is on ESPN2 by the way.  Pretty good crowd for BU, better than the PL championship game.
Lafalum

Yes a good game BU up by 10 with 9 to go. I hope they don't run our of gas.
bethlehempard

Pard4Life wrote:


In fact, 5 of the 8 Ivy schools are in the postseason (Harvard NCAAs, Princeton CBI, Yale, Brown, Columbia CIT).


Typical Ivies. One team in the big tournament, four in the after-thought pay-to-play varieties but no, no football playoffs. Very amusing.
pards123

Penn State is in the CBI. Yes, that Penn State with the 15-17 record. I don't get it.
ed65

pards123 wrote:
Penn State is in the CBI. Yes, that Penn State with the 15-17 record. I don't get it.


Far point pards 123: that is what being in the Big Ten gets you, I guess.

WINNING MATTERS
leopard88

pards123 wrote:
It's not a bid situation.

I found that Iillinois's arena is undergoing renovation, so BU was given the home game.


Something similar happened last year with Robert Morris and Kentucky.  RMU hosted -- and stunned -- the Wildcats.
Franks Tanks

leopard88 wrote:
pards123 wrote:
It's not a bid situation.

I found that Iillinois's arena is undergoing renovation, so BU was given the home game.


Something similar happened last year with Robert Morris and Kentucky.  RMU hosted -- and stunned -- the Wildcats.


RMU did it again by beating #1 seed St. John's in the 1st round of the NIT.  St. John's no longer has the panache of Kentucky, but still an excellent win by Fran's former pupil at RMU.
bison137

leopard88 wrote:
pards123 wrote:
It's not a bid situation.

I found that Iillinois's arena is undergoing renovation, so BU was given the home game.


Something similar happened last year with Robert Morris and Kentucky.  RMU hosted -- and stunned -- the Wildcats.




What happened last year is that Kentucky was hosting the first two NCAA rounds and thus its arena was unavailable.    I was there, since that is where Bucknell played its first round game.
Pard4Life

Great job by American "representing" the PL and proudly doing their best by losing by the largest margin of the day, where the 1-16 game was more competitive. I guess this means the PL stinks now right?
Andy

Well, they kept it interesting for almost the entire first half....  ESPN had it as the 2nd largest margin in a 15-2 game ever.  Kudos to AU though for spoiling. Met Col's season.
carney2

Pard4Life wrote:
Great job by American "representing" the PL and proudly doing their best by losing by the largest margin of the day, where the 1-16 game was more competitive. I guess this means the PL stinks now right?


Pretty much.  But wait...137 is moving to his keyboard at this minute to gather statistical mumbo jumbo proving that the Patriot League is in the top [pick your number].
Pard4Life

carney2 wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
Great job by American "representing" the PL and proudly doing their best by losing by the largest margin of the day, where the 1-16 game was more competitive. I guess this means the PL stinks now right?


Pretty much.  But wait...137 is moving to his keyboard at this minute to gather statistical mumbo jumbo proving that the Patriot League is in the top [pick your number].


True, my point is that how one team performs in the tournament has no reflection on any of the other members of the league.
LC Local Fan

BREAKING NEWS. Three Boston U players are transferring out of the program including Mo Watson.
SixtyEighter

A revealing story about BU's transfers in and out is on a web site entitled City of Love Basketball. Maurice Watson and his father think he belongs on a bigger stage so he can play in the NBA. There is also a story about a Colgate signee. The other two transferees out are Malik Thomas and James Kennedy .

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum