Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
Andy

Barlow transfers out

Barlow, whom we were wondering about as he hadn't suit up for the last few games, has transferred out per verbalcommits.com. Good luck to him.

Thanks to my friend/poster LCLF for the heads up.
Lafalum

Re: Barlow transfers out

Andy wrote:
Barlow, whom we were wondering about as he hadn't suit up for the last few games, has transferred out per verbalcommits.com. Good luck to him.

Thanks to my friend/poster LCLF for the heads up.


Will this free up another scholarship for Fran??
Andy

Re: Barlow transfers out

Lafalum wrote:
Andy wrote:
Barlow, whom we were wondering about as he hadn't suit up for the last few games, has transferred out per verbalcommits.com. Good luck to him.

Thanks to my friend/poster LCLF for the heads up.


Will this free up another scholarship for Fran??


He was carried as a scholarship player by verbalcommits so yes.  But, are there still quality 2016s out there?  How about something crazy (for us) like a transfer IN?

We are actually eligible to give 2 more, now, in 2016. Word from Xbo was that Fran wanted to even them out and was holding the third for next year. Now we would seem to need to use one for 2016.
Lafalum

Re: Barlow transfers out

Andy wrote:
Lafalum wrote:
Andy wrote:
Barlow, whom we were wondering about as he hadn't suit up for the last few games, has transferred out per verbalcommits.com. Good luck to him.

Thanks to my friend/poster LCLF for the heads up.


Will this free up another scholarship for Fran??


He was carried as a scholarship player by verbalcommits so yes.  But, are there still quality 2015s out there?  How about something crazy (for us) like a transfer IN?


That was my thought
Kpard

Welcome to the wonderful world of scholarships.
We are getting pretty lean in the 4 & 5 department. I hope the Dunkum kid can contribute.
Andy

Here is a recent piece on Luke Harris who verbalcommits carries as having been offered by us:

http://www.southernminn.com/north...-af8e-5d1a-8b29-b3562f62c293.html

Once we signed Cherry, Harris's offer may have been pulled. Could be active again, I guess, with the loss of Barlow.
LC Fan

Barlow's loss is incredibly significant. He had great potential as a defender. Without him, the team has no 4 or 5 who can protect the rim. We can expect a continuation of the ineptitude we've seen in the paint and on the glass.
BillS

LC Fan wrote:
Barlow's loss is incredibly significant. He had great potential as a defender. Without him, the team has no 4 or 5 who can protect the rim. We can expect a continuation of the ineptitude we've seen in the paint and on the glass.
Yep it's unfortunate that we can't recruit the same type of athletes the other PL schools can! Why can't compete with Lehigh and the other PL schools for those athletes?
bethlehempard

Do we have one player who would start for Lehigh? Maybe Nick? Anybody else?
They've been putting a better team on the court, on average, for years. Many years.
No excuses.
bison137

bethlehempard wrote:
Do we have one player who would start for Lehigh? Maybe Nick? Anybody else?
They've been putting a better team on the court, on average, for years. Many years.
No excuses.


As good as Lindner is, he would have a tough time beating out Ross for the PG spot.   However Scott would start ahead of Leufroy.   And at PF, I think Klinewski is about as good as Chuku.    However LU has a big edge at the other two spots with Kempton and Price.
Andy

LC Fan wrote:
Barlow's loss is incredibly significant. He had great potential as a defender. Without him, the team has no 4 or 5 who can protect the rim. We can expect a continuation of the ineptitude we've seen in the paint and on the glass.


We haven't seen Sam yet. He's said to be more of a defender than a scorer at this point.  We shall see..
Kpard

LC Fan wrote:
Barlow's loss is incredibly significant. He had great potential as a defender. Without him, the team has no 4 or 5 who can protect the rim. We can expect a continuation of the ineptitude we've seen in the paint and on the glass.


The Evans kid, while not 6-9, has been swatting shots away in there.
FOH talks a lot about rebounding, rim protection, etc, but, hasn't produced a stud inside during his tenure. He's a guard centric coach.
seenalot

"During his tenure" is not correct - Stefan and Jarod both were, and Trist, although he had a different game, brought enough of it to be effective in our scheme.
bison137

seenalot wrote:
"During his tenure" is not correct - Stefan and Jarod both were, and Trist, although he had a different game, brought enough of it to be effective in our scheme.



Yes, those three centers all made 1st team All-PL, so I'd put them in the "stud inside" category.    But when it came to rim protection, Levi Giese was the best of recent LC centers by far.    He had at least 50% more blocked shots than anyone in the league with the exception of Muscala his senior year.   His total for that year is the 2nd best in LC history (since blocked shots became a recorded stat), trailing only Rob Dill.  Dill is the all-time leader in that category for LC by a wide margin.  He blocked as many shots his senior year as Ciosici blocked in his career - and far more than Trist or Mintz did in their careers.
Kpard

seenalot wrote:
"During his tenure" is not correct - Stefan and Jarod both were, and Trist, although he had a different game, brought enough of it to be effective in our scheme.


137 kinda beat me to it. I loved all three of those guys. They were all work horses inside and opened things up for our outside shooters, but, wouldn't put them in the category of stud.  Muscala, Foye, Robinson, McNaughton, and Kempton were and are dominant.
Stefan was the closest thing to that and that was way back in the beginning of FOH's career at LC. If I recall correctly he somehow fell into FOH's lap by way of a collegue or something.
I am not trying to berate any of our guys, but, this league just doesn't get that kind of player on a consistent basis.
The Maroon

Anybody else notice the elephant in the room?
bison137

I just happened to look at the  LC 2016-17 roster, which was recently updated to show the four incoming freshmen.   Was surprised to see Barlow's name on it.   He hasn't changed his mind, has he?
BillS

bison137 wrote:
I just happened to look at the  LC 2016-17 roster, which was recently updated to show the four incoming freshmen.   Was surprised to see Barlow's name on it.   He hasn't changed his mind, has he?
He must have I'm guessing.
NewXbo

Is he still a student? I think sports info updates the rosters, maybe they haven't gotten around to it yet.
Andy

NewXbo wrote:
Is he still a student? I think sports info updates the rosters, maybe they haven't gotten around to it yet.


Still here, doesn't mean he's not transferring.
Andy

Removed from roster.
Kpard

Best of luck Tyler! Thanks for you effort this year.
bethlehempard

Tyler Barlow has transferred to Blinn Junior College in Texas.
Cam Newton went there during his peculiar NCAA odyssey.
bethlehempard

Barlow is blunt in his assessment, but the style of play shouldn't have come as a surprise.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/...w-finds-right-fit-blinn/94225924/
adcs2

Overall, do folks feel that recruiting has dropped off since Loeffler left the program?  I know Josh was instrumental in helping land the Pards last "great" class of Trist/Hinrichs/JoeyP. Since then we have landed some very good individuals like Nick and Matt, but have also had our share of swing and misses plus defections.

Do we lack a dynamic recruiting coach to complement Fran's X and O plus game day acumen?
bison137

bethlehempard wrote:
Barlow is blunt in his assessment, but the style of play shouldn't have come as a surprise.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/...w-finds-right-fit-blinn/94225924/



From the article:
  "Barlow said Lafayette’s deliberate style of play did not suit his talents and said he feels more comfortable with the up-tempo pace Schumacher coaches."

- - - -

Ironically Lafayette last year ranked 113th last year nationally in pace of play.  Significantly above average.   FOH has never had a year where their pace of play was slow.
NewXbo

Barlow is gone because of academic issues. He had good SATs but apparently did not put in the work needed at college level.
Kpard

I understand we are dealing with 18 & 19 year olds, but, we seem to have an extremely high transfer rate......out?
BillS

NewXbo wrote:
Barlow is gone because of academic issues. He had good SATs but apparently did not put in the work needed at college level.
Ty....Fran always gets the blame when a player transfers out.
bethlehempard

[/quote]Ty....Fran always gets the blame when a player transfers out.[/quote]

Perhaps because he is the head coach? He gives out the scholarships. I don't know if Lafayette's transfer rate is excessive, I just know three big guys have left in two years. Hoffman, Barlow, Dunkum. We are almost always weak under the basket. No, always.
Between those who left and those who stayed, we aren't investing the scarce assets (scholarships) well.
Also supporting the coach "for now" is hardly an endorsement. It's like the guys on CNBC who are "cautiously optimistic."
Hoffman is playing for UTGRV this year. A hybrid school in the Western Athletic conference.
carney2

Blinn College?????

From their website:  "Train for hot jobs.  Careers in welding."

I don't want to be accused of playing the snooty Patriot League card, but "careers in welding?!!"  A reality check is needed.
Kpard

carney2 wrote:
Blinn College?????

From their website:  "Train for hot jobs.  Careers in welding."

I don't want to be accused of playing the snooty Patriot League card, but "careers in welding?!!"  A reality check is needed.


I'm thinking the same CMan. I guess MetCo didn't offer?
I assume, or hope to assume, that the staff is checking more than a kids SAT score and AAU stats as part of their vetting in offering a trip to The Hill.
This one is a reason to question the process. All may be well, this kid may just not have been ready.
bethlehempard

Tyler Barlow 2016-17 at Blinn so far:
24 games, 20 games started, 4.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg
Blinn (Texas) Junior College is 16-10

At UTRGV, Michael Hoffman is scoring 8.1 ppg in 19.5 mpg.

http://goutrgv.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5263&path=mbball
njleopard

[quote="bethlehempard:60707"]Tyler Barlow 2016-17 at Blinn so far:
24 games, 20 games started, 4.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg
Blinn (Texas) Junior College is 16-10

At UTRGV, Michael Hoffman is scoring 8.1 ppg in 19.5 mpg.

http://goutrgv.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5263&path=mbball[/quote


Add Jacob Orender to the list of former Pards.
njleopard

[quote="Kpard:59262"]I understand we are dealing with 18 & 19 year olds, but, we seem to have an extremely high transfer rate......out?[/quote]

Three out of five in that class have left. Plus if you give value to star ratings, Lafayette has the lowest star average for recruits of any PL school so we have s recipe for continued losses.
bethlehempard

Tyler Barlow will play for D2 St. Mary's (Texas).

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum