Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
Franks Tanks

Frank is done per report

Football Scoop is reporting that Frank is done.
Andy

Re: Frank is done per report

Franks Tanks wrote:
Football Scoop is reporting that Frank is done.


Great find, FT!  We enter a very interesting period for PardBall. Unless BillS made the call to Scoop...... Razz
LeopardBall10

Re: Frank is done per report

Franks Tanks wrote:
Football Scoop is reporting that Frank is done.


Just had a few guys in the profession text me. Interesting. I wonder if the consultant was hired with this in mind, and the search will be part of the duties?
Franks Tanks

John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)
Jpao92

Frank Tavani, who finally killed this monster.
Franks Tanks

Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)


Adding Justin Lustig as well.  

Current Edinboro coach that took them from 0-11 to 9-2 in his 1st year as head coach.  He is s Bucknell grad who also coached at Ball State and LA-Lafayette.
PessimisticPard

Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)


I'm throwing his name into the ring, and I know it's a hail mary as he is an up and coming FBS coach.

Chris Partridge Michigan
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_partridge_998693.html
Franks Tanks

PessimisticPard wrote:
Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)


I'm throwing his name into the ring, and I know it's a hail mary as he is an up and coming FBS coach.

Chris Partridge Michigan
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_partridge_998693.html


Not sure if Chris is very fond of Lafayette any longer, but as you state a long shot.  Chris is more of a recruiter/motivator than scheme guy, but he is relentlessly positive and recruits his butt off.  I think he will stick to Harbaugh as long as he can, but his name will certainly come up.
Pard4Life

Wow. Did he quit or was he axed?
Franks Tanks

Pard4Life wrote:
Wow. Did he quit or was he axed?


We have no details, but given his comments after the Lehigh game it was not his decision.  I assume he recieved some sort of parting gift as well.
edge29

No F****N WAY!!!  I guess only one of us here knows wth is actually going on!!

Another name...Dave Cohen.  I doubt he'd leave Wake though.
PardDad71

New Coach

If true, hopefully Frank will gracefully leave, not be kept around in some other capacity to "earn" his salary.

The million dollar questions......do we have candidates identified, can we make a hire in Dec/early January, which recruits are at risk
PardDad71

Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)



I think Folmar is very interesting.   It would definitely create a lot of buzz for game 153!   He knows the area, he probably knows all the recruits, and he has seen the blueprint of a program that has been very successful over the last 30 years.    

Would love to get Loose, he is exactly the type of coach I think we need.

Cramsey is probably the heir apparent at UNH.   Not sure you will be able to get him

Not sure why Villareal would want to come to the PL.   A step up, yes, but.....   his next logical step is either CAA or DI assistant

Partridge I just don't see.    Essentially hiring a high school coach, and one that was able to recruit and beat public schools.    Don't think you can give him much credit for Jabrill and Gary
Will to Win

John Troxell should get a look

http://www.godiplomats.com/sports...ches/troxell_john00.html?view=bio
PessimisticPard

PardDad71 wrote:
Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)



I think Folmar is very interesting.   It would definitely create a lot of buzz for game 153!   He knows the area, he probably knows all the recruits, and he has seen the blueprint of a program that has been very successful over the last 30 years.    

Would love to get Loose, he is exactly the type of coach I think we need.

Cramsey is probably the heir apparent at UNH.   Not sure you will be able to get him

Not sure why Villareal would want to come to the PL.   A step up, yes, but.....   his next logical step is either CAA or DI assistant

Partridge I just don't see.    Essentially hiring a high school coach, and one that was able to recruit and beat public schools.    Don't think you can give him much credit for Jabrill and Gary


I'm going to keep throwing up hail mary's.

What about Heff? Would he leave Northwestern to come build us back up or is it too much too late in his career?

Also what about Troxell at F&M, I just wished we go with something that has a dominant winning background, or is at least proven.
MrLeopard

[quote="Will to Win:58224"]John Troxell should get a look

http://www.godiplomats.com/sports...xell_john00.html?view=bio[/quote]


I agree, have to go after Troxell or Loose
Jpao92

Let us hope Lafayette's search extends beyond their campus?  I will be mighty disappointed if their new HC is an existing coordinator.
Franks Tanks

MrLeopard wrote:
Will to Win wrote:
John Troxell should get a look

http://www.godiplomats.com/sports...ches/troxell_john00.html?view=bio



I agree, have to go after Troxell or Loose


Trox is a great guy and a really solid coach, but he has been in D3 for a decade.  I really think we need someone accustomed to recruiting scholarship players, and building a roster at the FCS level.  I know that technically eliminates Loode, but he is sort of a special care.  Can't see Heff leaving northwestern.
LeopardBall10

Heff isn't going to happen. He makes too much and is not in a position that has any real responsibility at all. He has the best retirement job there is. No way he leaves to work this hard to rebuild from scratch.

I love Trox, but he has spent he carreer with non-scholarship football. He is a good coach, just not what I think Lafayette needs right now.

Loose would be a great fit, and it would be interesting because the last of the players who would know him are the 5th year guys. He would be a fresh face to the rest of the team. But does he want to get back into all of the issues he knows he will face?

I agree that Partridge is probably a non-starter. No college coordinator experience, and probably making too much at MU.

Names I haven't heard are Mike Feragali who was the OC under Frank with Heff. He left and won a national title with Richmond. Now he is the OC at Norfolk State. Spent the last 10 years in VA so may not want to move.  And what about Matt Hachman? He has been the DC at Townson since he left Lafayette.

Do we think this job could pull a coordinator from a competing school? Will we even go after those guys?
The Maroon

Do we have anything beyond the three lines in Footballscoop?

Is this site credible?
LeopardBall10

Jpao92 wrote:
Let us hope Lafayette's search extends beyond their campus?  I will be mighty disappointed if their new HC is an existing coordinator.


Valid point, we don't know what is going on internally. That would be a big blow though, to finally make a move only to settle for the guy who is moving offices down the hall?
PessimisticPard

LeopardBall10 wrote:
Heff isn't going to happen. He makes too much and is not in a position that has any real responsibility at all. He has the best retirement job there is. No way he leaves to work this hard to rebuild from scratch.

I love Trox, but he has spent he carreer with non-scholarship football. He is a good coach, just not what I think Lafayette needs right now.

Loose would be a great fit, and it would be interesting because the last of the players who would know him are the 5th year guys. He would be a fresh face to the rest of the team. But does he want to get back into all of the issues he knows he will face?

I agree that Partridge is probably a non-starter. No college coordinator experience, and probably making too much at MU.

Names I haven't heard are Mike Feragali who was the OC under Frank with Heff. He left and won a national title with Richmond. Now he is the OC at Norfolk State. Spent the last 10 years in VA so may not want to move.  And what about Matt Hachman? He has been the DC at Townson since he left Lafayette.

Do we think this job could pull a coordinator from a competing school? Will we even go after those guys?


http://www.gocolumbialions.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209987232

With Columbia Now
pardfan

One "Amigo" down.  Keep the ball rollin'.  Two (Bruce and Fran) to go.
zenator

Heard that FT cancelled all of his meetings scheduled for next week, which seems to support notion that he is gone.
bethlehempard

There will be a meeting this evening with the team.
BillS

bethlehempard wrote:
There will be a meeting this evening with the team.
I'll be checking Twitter tonight ☺
pardfan

You don't have to have any experience at D-1 sports to know empty seats (at LC-LU) when you see them.
Pards Rule

PessimisticPard wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)



I think Folmar is very interesting.   It would definitely create a lot of buzz for game 153!   He knows the area, he probably knows all the recruits, and he has seen the blueprint of a program that has been very successful over the last 30 years.    

Would love to get Loose, he is exactly the type of coach I think we need.

Cramsey is probably the heir apparent at UNH.   Not sure you will be able to get him

Not sure why Villareal would want to come to the PL.   A step up, yes, but.....   his next logical step is either CAA or DI assistant

Partridge I just don't see.    Essentially hiring a high school coach, and one that was able to recruit and beat public schools.    Don't think you can give him much credit for Jabrill and Gary


I'm going to keep throwing up hail mary's.

What about Heff? Would he leave Northwestern to come build us back up or is it too much too late in his career?

Also what about Troxell at F&M, I just wished we go with something that has a dominant winning background, or is at least proven.


Im a huge fan of Heff. Maybe he ends his collegiate coaching bringing the Pards back!!
Pards Rule

BillS wrote:
bethlehempard wrote:
There will be a meeting this evening with the team.
I'll be checking Twitter tonight ☺


I spoke for 20 minures with Brad Wilson this evening. Highly unlikely he calls a meeting to say he is returning.
Pardsfriend

Chris Partridge

PessimisticPard wrote:
Franks Tanks wrote:
John Loose
The coach at St. Francis
Tim Cramsey
Drew Folmar (may be heretical, but kinda makes sense)


I'm throwing his name into the ring, and I know it's a hail mary as he is an up and coming FBS coach.

Chris Partridge Michigan
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_partridge_998693.html


If Coach Partridge is interested, he would be an excellent candidate and head coach.  He understands the NJ recruiting landscape, and most importantly, he can coach.  He's played in the Patriot League, and can speak to a recruit and his parents like very few who will be in the mix for this position.

In addition, he understands the academics and politics of college hill better than virtually any other candidate, with possible exception of Loose.

 Count me in Chris Partridges' corner.
BillS

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/ Frank is gone !
Andy

BillS wrote:
http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/ Frank is gone !


Bill, thats the story we started with 12 hours ago. Smile

Confirmation from Channel 69:

Jim Vaughn‏ @JimVaughnWFMZ
Sources confirm to @69Sports that Lafayette football coach Frank Tavani is out.  Led the Leopards to 84 wins in his 17 seasons at the helm.
Andy

Mr. Wilson:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...1/post_19.html#incart_river_index
Will to Win

If you can coach, you can coach.  D3 doesn't matter.  Troxell knows how to win.  Plus, HE HAS RECRUITED KIDS TO HIS PROGRAM WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO GIVE THEM MONEY!  Imagine how he could do if he had scholarships to give!  Troxell said no to a kid that ended up on scholarship at Lafayette and ended up being a bust.  Winners win.  He should get a look.
BillS

Andy wrote:
Mr. Wilson:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...1/post_19.html#incart_river_index
Wow Frank was fired and I'm not the leaker ☺
Will to Win

I have no idea if Troxell is interested though.  He probably has a job for life at F&M with no pressure.  Not sure I would leave that cushy atmosphere to rebuild a program in tatters
OPPard

Cramsey

Search needs to begin and end with Cramsey.  Local roots.  Best pedigree of any names being tossed around here by miles.  UNH job isn't an option.
Will to Win

Cramsey is a good idea, but he's not coming. He would have to take a pay cut to come probably.  Plus he's got issues in his background according to reports that make peope nervous
Andy

Will to Win wrote:
Cramsey is a good idea, but he's not coming. He would have to take a pay cut to come probably.  Plus he's got issues in his background according to reports that make peope nervous


Nevada head coach was fired 2 days ago.  Is Cramsey a possible for their HC? Total package in 2015 for a Nevada coordinator was about $215k. I need to look up the "reports."
RichH

Congrats guys. Overdue but gives you hope for the future.
RichH

Serious question re Coach search.

Does that consultant evaluation of the AD and the future of athletics at LC help or hinder the search . Seems to me a candidate might be reluctant to risk his career on a program not only in shambles but hiring an outside firm to evaluate it.
Pard4Life

McC probably acted to impress the consultants to show that he is actively doing stuff to improve things and save his job... but hey I'm cynical.

I think those comments by Frank after the game sealed the deal. That was bad.
flyfisher

Well I'll be damned.
ed65

flyfisher wrote:
Well I'll be damned.


Me, to, fly.  I like Frank a lot and I don't root for people to be fired but it was time.
flyfisher

ed65 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
Well I'll be damned.


Me, to, fly.  I like Frank a lot and I don't root for people to be fired but it was time.


I feel the same way. There were a few things I liked about him but it was time. Found out so,e things. His comments after the last game didn't help him. He gave the impression that he would determine when he leaves, like he was in charge.

I can tell you things are not happening like everyone here thinks they are. It's a matter of time but some things to work out. I may address it later. This needs to play out.
njleopard

[quote="flyfisher:58258"][quote="ed65:58256"][quote="flyfisher:58255"]Well I'll be damned.[/quote]

Me, to, fly.  I like Frank a lot and I don't root for people to be fired but it was time.[/quote]

I feel the same way. There were a few things I liked about him but it was time. Found out so,e things. His comments after the last game didn't help him. He gave the impression that he would determine when he leaves, like he was in charge.

I can tell you things are not happening like everyone here thinks they are. It's a matter of time but some things to work out. I may address it later. This needs to play out.[/quote

Are you suggesting that a current coach has the inside track or there is a done deal already?
Kpard

[quote="njleopard:58259"]
flyfisher wrote:
ed65 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
Well I'll be damned.


Me, to, fly.  I like Frank a lot and I don't root for people to be fired but it was time.


I feel the same way. There were a few things I liked about him but it was time. Found out so,e things. His comments after the last game didn't help him. He gave the impression that he would determine when he leaves, like he was in charge.

I can tell you things are not happening like everyone here thinks they are. It's a matter of time but some things to work out. I may address it later. This needs to play out.[/quote

Are you suggesting that a current coach has the inside track or there is a done deal already?


And wouldn't that just be the Lafayette way.
ed65

I think Bruce has to make clear what the plan is for hiring a new coach and in a public statement.
zenator

flyfisher wrote:
I feel the same way. There were a few things I liked about him but it was time. Found out so,e things. His comments after the last game didn't help him. He gave the impression that he would determine when he leaves, like he was in charge.

I can tell you things are not happening like everyone here thinks they are. It's a matter of time but some things to work out. I may address it later. This needs to play out.


Fly:
Hard to know what is happening. Frank's last interview gave the impression that he was confident that he was staying. A week later, Frank tells the team that he is gone. Obviously, something occurred during that short span of time.

My hope is that the hiring of a new HC is announced soon. Otherwise, we enter a period of chaos-recruits reconsider, existing players put in transfer applications, etc. It can get ugly if the coach search process is allowed to drag out too long
seenalot

Indeed it would be the Lafayette way.  When was the last real outsider brought in to coach a major sport ?  Will miss Frank in many ways but the time had come.   Will not help recruiting but it had to start somewhere.

Thanks Frank for many great memories and all the best in whatever is next.
Lafalum

First on Frank: We owe Frank a lot. He took over a program on the brink of extinction. For a time he made it respectable with no support from an indifferent BOT and at times hostile Markle crowd. Winning 150 was a huge boost to the school and its campaign ( even if the BOT and the crowd will not admit it publicly).
However, it was time, I wish him the best.

Second, there is no doubt the study was a motivator. I hope they don't think this alone will satisfy alumni and give them space to delay other reforms.

Three, a hire from the outside will be expensive and difficult. Any coach worth his salt will ask for what's needed to win , it'll be like pulling teeth to get that done.

Fourth, hiring an outsider who was here before will be equally expensive since he will know the school and will demand more.

Therefore if we are really serious look to see if an outsider becomes a viable candidate.

Fifth, are the days of " you will never be fired because you lose" over....this could be a message.

Sixth, I have heard that the study group process has begun.
flyfisher

no, not at all. Frank's situation is not complete. it will run its course
flyfisher

seenalot wrote:
Indeed it would be the Lafayette way.  When was the last real outsider brought in to coach a major sport ?  Will miss Frank in many ways but the time had come.   Will not help recruiting but it had to start somewhere.

Thanks Frank for many great memories and all the best in whatever is next.


losing Frank will not hurt recruiting. recruits don't know him and he is not a big reason kids come to LC. now some of the asst coaches will be missed. hope we keep McFadden, Dell, probably Link. however a new coach will want his own coords.

the one thing I learned I simply should not post now. it looks like this happens but some details to work out.
PardDad71

RichH wrote:
Serious question re Coach search.

Does that consultant evaluation of the AD and the future of athletics at LC help or hinder the search . Seems to me a candidate might be reluctant to risk his career on a program not only in shambles but hiring an outside firm to evaluate it.



My guess is the consulting firm is already working.   they were evaluating damage vs opportunity of replacing frank now, or after next year.   Then he made those comments.   I suspect a short list already exists
Andy

Not one word from The Call.

Michael Keating
The Lafayette:

......Tavani announced in a meeting with his players that he will not return next year for the Leopards.

Sources also said that Tavani, whose contract expired at the end of the 2016 season, said he plans to take a buyout before next season, because the college did not give him a year’s notice that his contract would not be renewed.

President Alison Byerly wrote in an email that a press release from the college “on this subject” would be released tomorrow.///
killaBee

Why not Les Miles LSU, Mark Helfrich, Oregan, Charlie Strong, Texas?

Why Not Andy or John Loose ...............   Blake Costanzo?  If I am correct Rutgers Univ. considered him..

Whom ever it is, is the culture ready to win?  Its 2016 and we have not grown into the era of a dual threat QB.

I hope the the study will consider paying the prevailing wage for experience and expertise.  Do we even have the resources to do so?

Are we willing to allow transfers?  Are we willing to take a chance on kids who maybe on the cusps of admissions.  

Do we want the same kind of kids who attend NDS or Sam Houston State?  Can we not let the front page get a hold of some of the kids actions?

Are we willing to have a fast turnover in our coaches? Are we willing to allow recruiting be a priority for a coach staying and leaving?  

There are many more variables....  I looked over the last 121 years of Lafayette Football and we are  62 - 59.  

What exactly do we want?

My vote is ANDY.....
Lafalum

We want to be competitive in the PL under PL rules, full stop. That's what the "school" said when they commenced the study. NCAA wins, national championships and what ever else would unanticipated icing on the cake. Quite frankly I would be glad for that.
LeopardBall10

Andy wrote:
President Alison Byerly wrote in an email that a press release from the college “on this subject” would be released tomorrow.///


I wait with baited breath.

With regards to Fly's comments, this worries me.

"it looks like this happens but some details to work out."

What does that mean? because I will tell you right now, when this type of change is typically made there are only two options. Either 1) the HC is gone immediately and the assistants are asked to stay on and continue recruiting while the new HC is hired. They then are guaranteed an interview for their job or 2) Everyone is gone immediately and the new HC brings in his own people. Outside of that I can't imagine what needs to be worked out?

As per usual I agree with Lafalumn, we'll see how committed we are to change with the candidates. Any serious outside candidate is going to have a big ask not just for the HC salary but also for an increased assistant pool. And we have already seen the athletic department pass on top candidates before when the candidate wouldn't accept the given salary range.

And nothing agains Killa but Blake just isn't in the right positionto even be in the conversation. I love Blake and I think that he is probably the better coach/understands more about football than Partridge. But he just hasn't been a coach at any level above HS, ever. You may be able to swing him as a coordinator if you really knew him well, but as a Head Coach... just not feasible.
flyfisher

Andy wrote:
Not one word from The Call.

Michael Keating
The Lafayette:

......Tavani announced in a meeting with his players that he will not return next year for the Leopards.

Sources also said that Tavani, whose contract expired at the end of the 2016 season, said he plans to take a buyout before next season, because the college did not give him a year’s notice that his contract would not be renewed.

President Alison Byerly wrote in an email that a press release from the college “on this subject” would be released tomorrow.///


Bingo.

This is the detail to be worked out. franks settlement.
LeopardBall10

Lafalum wrote:
We want to be competitive in the PL under PL rules, full stop. That's what the "school" said when they commenced the study. NCAA wins, national championships and what ever else would unanticipated icing on the cake. Quite frankly I would be glad for that.


Agreed 100%. With that being said i think the PL goes after an entirely different applicant pool that the other FCS jobs open right now. Lafayette will need to target someone completely different that Delaware.
flyfisher

killaBee wrote:
Why not Les Miles LSU, Mark Helfrich, Oregan, Charlie Strong, Texas?

Why Not Andy or John Loose ...............   Blake Costanzo?  If I am correct Rutgers Univ. considered him..

Whom ever it is, is the culture ready to win?  Its 2016 and we have not grown into the era of a dual threat QB.

I hope the the study will consider paying the prevailing wage for experience and expertise.  Do we even have the resources to do so?

Are we willing to allow transfers?  Are we willing to take a chance on kids who maybe on the cusps of admissions.  

Do we want the same kind of kids who attend NDS or Sam Houston State?  Can we not let the front page get a hold of some of the kids actions?

Are we willing to have a fast turnover in our coaches? Are we willing to allow recruiting be a priority for a coach staying and leaving?  

There are many more variables....  I looked over the last 121 years of Lafayette Football and we are  62 - 59.  

What exactly do we want?

My vote is ANDY.....


Great comments Killa. Are we willing to make sme of these exceptions?
LeopardBall10

flyfisher wrote:


Bingo.

This is the detail to be worked out. franks settlement.


If his contract really did end in 2016, but there is a clause that he needs a 1 year heads up that it will not be renewed I want that contract. That is not standard by any means.

But a settlement dispute is different than the coaching search. From what I hear the staff was pulled off the road by Frank right before the news hit the scoop. They had no idea this was coming. They also hadn't received word about their individual statuses last I checked.
PardDad71

LeopardBall10 wrote:
Andy wrote:
President Alison Byerly wrote in an email that a press release from the college “on this subject” would be released tomorrow.///


I wait with baited breath.

With regards to Fly's comments, this worries me.

"it looks like this happens but some details to work out."

What does that mean? because I will tell you right now, when this type of change is typically made there are only two options. Either 1) the HC is gone immediately and the assistants are asked to stay on and continue recruiting while the new HC is hired. They then are guaranteed an interview for their job or 2) Everyone is gone immediately and the new HC brings in his own people. Outside of that I can't imagine what needs to be worked out?

As per usual I agree with Lafalumn, we'll see how committed we are to change with the candidates. Any serious outside candidate is going to have a big ask not just for the HC salary but also for an increased assistant pool. And we have already seen the athletic department pass on top candidates before when the candidate wouldn't accept the given salary range.

And nothing agains Killa but Blake just isn't in the right positionto even be in the conversation. I love Blake and I think that he is probably the better coach/understands more about football than Partridge. But he just hasn't been a coach at any level above HS, ever. You may be able to swing him as a coordinator if you really knew him well, but as a Head Coach... just not feasible.



Unless they have an immediate hire ready, the assistant coaches will stay on until further notice.   They continue recruiting, offseason workouts, admin duties, etc.    It is best for the current players, current recruits and the coaches (especially since it keeps them in the circles they need to be in to land their next job).
Spardicus80

First, I, as an alumnus of Lafayette, would like to thank Coach Tavani for his service to the school.  While the results in the last two seasons have not been what all of us would have wanted, Mr. Tavani has demonstrated great character and integrity in representing both the program and the school for the last 17 seasons.  I wish him all the health and happiness in all his future endeavors.

This is a change that needed to be made.  Frankly, the football program is in a death spiral. Why would any recruits come here after the effort put forth in the HC game during homecoming?  Why would players on the current roster stay in a program in which there is no personal improvement, and losing is the accepted norm?

Finally, is this the first domino to fall?  Is this a shot across the bow for other coaches in the athletic department?  Does this mean that Lafayette is finally moving away from the concept that once you are hired as a coach that you have tenure for life despite poor results?  Will the athletic department finally become something more than a glorified extracurricular offering?  My guess is that only the study on the athletic department can provide the answers.  This potential cultural change goes to the heart of what we are, and where we want to go.
Andy

flyfisher wrote:
Andy wrote:
Not one word from The Call.

Michael Keating
The Lafayette:

......Tavani announced in a meeting with his players that he will not return next year for the Leopards.

Sources also said that Tavani, whose contract expired at the end of the 2016 season, said he plans to take a buyout before next season, because the college did not give him a year’s notice that his contract would not be renewed.

President Alison Byerly wrote in an email that a press release from the college “on this subject” would be released tomorrow.///


Bingo.

This is the detail to be worked out. franks settlement.


"he plans to take a buyout before next season" - doesn't sound like Frank is cleaning out his office just yet, which is what you were getting at, I guess, fly.  Keep those checks coming to the last minute...
LeopardBall10

PardDad71 wrote:


Unless they have an immediate hire ready, the assistant coaches will stay on until further notice.   They continue recruiting, offseason workouts, admin duties, etc.    It is best for the current players, current recruits and the coaches (especially since it keeps them in the circles they need to be in to land their next job).


Definitly better for the players and recruits, but can put the coaches in a bind. Most of the vacancies at this level will be filled before the middle of January. If they are waiting around to see who gets hired it can put them behind the 8 ball for a job leading into next season. You also have a large portion of the staff who will need to sell a house, etc. if they are not being retained. None of these coaches will get severance, etc. other than Frank. He is the one with the contract. The assistants get screwed here. They have to find the next position fast.
Andy

killaBee wrote:
Whom ever it is, is the culture ready to win?  Its 2016 and we have not grown into the era of a dual threat QB.


We won 3 championships and 26 PL games over a 6 year span with dual-threat QBs (Maurer/Curley). We then moved to QB recruiting under Coach Fein. Eventually we seemed to stumble onto Reed (escapability but not really a running threat) who unfortunately timed up with the Clayton era at OL. The kid from Maine is still an unknown quantity, with Shoop-like label of "not grasping the offense" from what I've been told. I hope he becomes all league....  Let's face it, it's all about the QB in this league.

Hope the rehab is going well. Think of him often as his pics are stuck all  over my refrigerator. Smile
seenalot

Andy your comments are exactly why I don't think Mickey (despite being named interim) is the right HC candidate.  I don't think kids have generally improved under him or Stan C.
Andy

seenalot wrote:
Andy your comments are exactly why I don't think Mickey (despite being named interim) is the right HC candidate.  I don't think kids have generally improved under him or Stan C.


Hah, hadn't seen (pun intended) the "interim" pronouncement. Thanks, here's the  Call article (9:40 am):

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/

Colgate knows exactly what they need at QB, cookie-cutter for their niche O; Gilmore brings in studs, a 6-6, highly touted guy incoming; LU gets guys for their now modified "air-Lehigh."  Under Fein we've been all over the lot, questionable quality and a take what we can get approach. Seems to me, but, in all sincerity, what the heck do I know..
Franks Tanks

seenalot wrote:
Andy your comments are exactly why I don't think Mickey (despite being named interim) is the right HC candidate.  I don't think kids have generally improved under him or Stan C.


Agree, I don't think there is anyway you can keep the 3 main guys in Fein, Link and Clayton.  I am more than willing to accept that they are much better coaches than the last few years may indicate, but it just isn't working.  

Perhaps retaining a few solid younger guys like Dell or coach Phil would make sense for current relationships, but we need to move on.  Also I don't think we make the bold move (for Lafayette) of firing Frank, only to hire someone on staff to proceed almost the same as before.
killaBee

Andy wrote:
killaBee wrote:
Whom ever it is, is the culture ready to win?  Its 2016 and we have not grown into the era of a dual threat QB.


We won 3 championships and 26 PL games over a 6 year span with dual-threat QBs (Maurer/Curley). We then moved to QB recruiting under Coach Fein. Eventually we seemed to stumble onto Reed (escapability but not really a running threat) who unfortunately timed up with the Clayton era at OL. The kid from Maine is still an unknown quantity, with Shoop-like label of "not grasping the offense" from what I've been told. I hope he becomes all league....  Let's face it, it's all about the QB in this league.

Hope the rehab is going well. Think of him often as his pics are stuck all  over my refrigerator. Smile


Thank you Andy for asking he is on course to return.
Andy

Finally, from The College:

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/113016aaa.html

The Call's "A national search for Tavani's replacement will begin immediately."  Brings a smile and a "yeah, right."...
zenator

Based on the release, it does not appear that LC had a new HC waiting in the wings. We now probably will enter several months of uncertainty as candidates are identified, interviewed etc.

In the interim, we can probably expect members of the coaching staff immediately to seek new jobs and likely to resign as jobs are found. Due to the uncertainty, the current recruiting class is now  up in the air. We can expect transfer requests from members of the freshman and sophomore classes, who want to explore options in the climate of uncertainty.

It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.
NewXbo

A new broom sweeps clean.
flyfisher

LeopardBall10 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:


Bingo.

This is the detail to be worked out. franks settlement.


If his contract really did end in 2016, but there is a clause that he needs a 1 year heads up that it will not be renewed I want that contract. That is not standard by any means.

But a settlement dispute is different than the coaching search. From what I hear the staff was pulled off the road by Frank right before the news hit the scoop. They had no idea this was coming. They also hadn't received word about their individual statuses last I checked.


mostly correct. some coaches will have to be retained. they also need to be looking for jobs. to get some to stick around they need to know they have a job
flyfisher

zenator wrote:
Based on the release, it does not appear that LC had a new HC waiting in the wings. We now probably will enter several months of uncertainty as candidates are identified, interviewed etc.

In the interim, we can probably expect members of the coaching staff immediately to seek new jobs and likely to resign as jobs are found. Due to the uncertainty, the current recruiting class is now  up in the air. We can expect transfer requests from members of the freshman and sophomore classes, who want to explore options in the climate of uncertainty.

It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.


can't take several months to find a coach. 2 months tops. I predict we don't lose many current players
Franks Tanks

This is new for us, but I read that something like 19 FCS head coaching jobs changed hands last year.  I think 5 have been opened so far this year.  We should keep the vast majority of current players and recruits.  Yes, some may feel a bit of pain due to the transition, but we will be fine.

I think we will have a coach in 2-3 weeks as I believe we actually have a plan!
NewXbo

zenator wrote:


It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.


Unless there is a change in the process, the AD will not make the decision Coaches have historically hired by committee. You will be surprised when you see who is on the committee.
Lafalum

NewXbo wrote:
zenator wrote:


It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.


Unless there is a change in the process, the AD will not make the decision Coaches have historically hired by committee. You will be surprised when you see who is on the committee.


I would guess no large long term supporters will be named, because they have in mind who they want. Without those supporters  the search has no credibility for me.

I am thinking there is a 60pct chance its Fein. That will not push me to open my wallet, or others!!!
seenalot

Don't tell me let me guess - the Dean of Diversity, the head of the faculty committee on retaining tenure, the Director of Plant Operations and the women Bruce reports to....all with a deep knowledge of coaching and what it takes to be successful in same.
zenator

NewXbo wrote:
zenator wrote:


It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.


Unless there is a change in the process, the AD will not make the decision Coaches have historically hired by committee. You will be surprised when you see who is on the committee.


My hope is that there is a plan in place. Somebody (do not know who) made the decision to fire Frank. Hopefully, he/she/they had a plan in place beyond let us form a committee.
ed65

Lafalum wrote:
NewXbo wrote:
zenator wrote:


It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.


Unless there is a change in the process, the AD will not make the decision Coaches have historically hired by committee. You will be surprised when you see who is on the committee.


I would guess no large long term supporters will be named, because they have in mind who they want. Without those supporters  the search has no credibility for me.

I am thinking there is a 60pct chance its Fein. That will not push me to open my wallet, or others!!!


Would like to know who is on that committee - assuming there is one.
Andy

Franks Tanks wrote:
seenalot wrote:
Andy your comments are exactly why I don't think Mickey (despite being named interim) is the right HC candidate.  I don't think kids have generally improved under him or Stan C.


Agree, I don't think there is anyway you can keep the 3 main guys in Fein, Link and Clayton.  I am more than willing to accept that they are much better coaches than the last few years may indicate, but it just isn't working.  

Perhaps retaining a few solid younger guys like Dell or coach Phil would make sense for current relationships, but we need to move on.  Also I don't think we make the bold move (for Lafayette) of firing Frank, only to hire someone on staff to proceed almost the same as before.


Yup. I could see Coach Dell being retained. If in fact recruiting has improved substantially the last 2 years, then Coach Phil should get some recognition as he's been the coordinator.  Watching the sidelines, I like the energy and player interaction from young Coach Ferguson. Some of his guys have come to the fore. Has blocking improved, on the screens? Not sure. I like what I see in him though.
Lafalum

Retaining the top three or hiring any of the top three as HC means there is no change or desire for change and would illustrate that the current administration hasn't got a clue. It would not inspire confidence.
ed65

Lafalum wrote:
Retaining the top three or hiring any of the top three as HC means there is no change or desire for change and would illustrate that the current administration hasn't got a clue. It would not inspire confidence.


Totally agree.
Andy

Mr. Wilson sums it up:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...ank_tavanis_time_had_come_at.html

Hope the local press can do some digging re candidates as LC moves forward.
Kpard

Andy wrote:
Mr. Wilson sums it up:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...ank_tavanis_time_had_come_at.html

Hope the local press can do some digging re candidates as LC moves forward.


Very well written. All very true. We all like Frank, but, the time has come because winning does matter.
You also can't fault him for believing he could turn this around. We all believe we can do our jobs well.
Best of luck and good health Coach. Thank you for your commitment to Lafayette.
Bogus Megapardus

One-year buyout confirmed by The Lafayette:
    "Sources told The Lafayette that Tavani said in a meeting with his players that his departure was prompted by a buyout needed because the college did not give him a year’s notice that his contract, which expired at the end of the 2016 season, would not be renewed. Tavani has not yet responded to The Lafayette’s requests for comment, and Athletics Director Bruce McCutcheon declined to comment on topics relating to personnel issues in accordance with college policy."
https://www.lafayettestudentnews....t-return-next-season-sources-say/
flyfisher

team meeting with Bruce at 5. no Coach Frank
Pard4Life

So reading between the lines on the contract... Bruce cost Lafayette probably $250K+ because he let Tavani's status dangle and put in a clause that he needs one year?  In a sense, that's a poison pill!  Who would want to recruit LC if the coach is gone?

So Tavani was assuming that he would be back since Bruce did not give him notification... all of his comments and posture seem to indicate that... he was playing chicken with the school.. Tavani knew he had McC's chain.

That is completely irresponsible management by McCutcheon.
Bogus Megapardus

Pard4Life wrote:
So reading between the lines on the contract... Bruce cost Lafayette probably $250K+ because he let Tavani's status dangle and put in a clause that he needs one year?  In a sense, that's a poison pill!  Who would want to recruit LC if the coach is gone?

So Tavani was assuming that he would be back since Bruce did not give him notification... all of his comments and posture seem to indicate that... he was playing chicken with the school.. Tavani knew he had McC's chain.

That is completely irresponsible management by McCutcheon.


I'm not so sure I agree.  A one-year notice clause is pretty common in any high level employment contract.  The AD knew that the college would be on the line for the buyout no matter what (unless Tavani retired voluntarily).  Nobody anywhere is going to tell the Head Coach a year in advance that his contract won't be renewed, so the buyout is just the cost of dismissing a very long-tenured coach.
WVPard

Many thanks to Coach T for rebuilding the rapport with administration early on that was damaged by Coach Russo's departure.  Many thanks to Coach T for resurrecting the program and, more importantly, for being at the helm when some of the finest football facilities in the country were financed and built.  For any of us that played in the prior era(s), the current facilities are truly amazing.

Now, it is time for the school to hire a hungry young coach, who will build a staff that includes hungry young assistants and put these facilities to their best use.  The school did it before, it can do it again...
flyfisher

Pard4Life wrote:
So reading between the lines on the contract... Bruce cost Lafayette probably $250K+ because he let Tavani's status dangle and put in a clause that he needs one year?  In a sense, that's a poison pill!  Who would want to recruit LC if the coach is gone?

So Tavani was assuming that he would be back since Bruce did not give him notification... all of his comments and posture seem to indicate that... he was playing chicken with the school.. Tavani knew he had McC's chain.

That is completely irresponsible management by McCutcheon.


it's basically a 1 year severance deal. but yes, Bruce could have done a better j9b or, been directed to do something different. he didn't pull this trigger by himself.
bethlehempard

One year of severance for a 30-year employee is not very much. There's no problem with that. Many people would be walking out with 90 or 120 weeks pay and benefits or more at other places.
Yes some would get three weeks and a guard escorting them out too.
One year is a good deal for Lafayette.
Bogus Megapardus

Remember, Tavani is a tenured faculty member.  It's only his coaching contract that has been terminated.  He will continue to draw pay (I assume) as a faculty member with all the pension and benefits, etc. that go along with it.
DFW HOYA

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Remember, Tavani is a tenured faculty member.  It's only his coaching contract that has been terminated.  He will continue to draw pay (I assume) as a faculty member with all the pension and benefits, etc. that go along with it.


What department is he tenured in? Could he maintain a teaching role?
RichH

Guess he could Bogie but I would bet LC bought out that option.  How many prospective HC candifates are going to accept a prior HC on campus looking over his shoulder.
Franks Tanks

I don't believe Frank has tenure.  I know many have said he pretty much has tenure, but his employment contract with Lafayette is now over, and he is does not have any role with the school. If there is information that contradicts my understanding please share.  

Frank may have benefits other "retired" employees enjoy like access to the gym and library or something of that nature.  He may also have a pension just as a public safety officer or maintenance employed may ( not sure if that is the case).
bethlehempard

Lefty Dreisell kept an office down the hall from his successor, who couldn't stand him. He failed too.
njleopard

[quote="Lafalum:58302"][quote="NewXbo:58301"][quote="zenator:58296"]

It is now in the hands of the AD. Who is hired as HC will say a ton about our future direction. Any top candidate will require a big commit from LC in terms of support in terms of recruiting, hiring top assistants etc. Hope that we go that route.[/quote]

Unless there is a change in the process, the AD will not make the decision Coaches have historically hired by committee. You will be surprised when you see who is on the committee.[/quote]

I would guess no large long term supporters will be named, because they have in mind who they want. Without those supporters  the search has no credibility for me.


I am thinking there is a 60pct chance its Fein. That will not push me to open my wallet, or others!!![/quote

We need someone not currently on the staff.  Since we excel neither on offense nor defense,  a new coach and approach is mandatory.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum