Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
carney2

Lehigh 57, Lafayette 47

Just another day in Leopardland.
Bogus Megapardus

Re: Lehigh 57, Lafayette 47

carney2 wrote:
Just another day in Leopardland.


Yeah, but WLax won 15-3.  Not all is lost.
carney2

Re: Lehigh 57, Lafayette 47

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Just another day in Leopardland.


Yeah, but WLax won 15-3.  Not all is lost.


There are only 3 sports that really matter and WLax ain't one of them.  Unless and until we begin to focus on those 3 the good ship Leopard will continue to take on water.
Kpard

Re: Lehigh 57, Lafayette 47

carney2 wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Just another day in Leopardland.


Yeah, but WLax won 15-3.  Not all is lost.


There are only 3 sports that really matter and WLax ain't one of them.  Unless and until we begin to focus on those 3 the good ship Leopard will continue to take on water.


1) Football
2) M Bball
3) ?????
carney2

Re: Lehigh 57, Lafayette 47

Kpard wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Just another day in Leopardland.


Yeah, but WLax won 15-3.  Not all is lost.


There are only 3 sports that really matter and WLax ain't one of them.  Unless and until we begin to focus on those 3 the good ship Leopard will continue to take on water.


1) Football
2) M Bball
3) ?????


1 thru 10 Football.  Lafayette is a football school.

2 (or 11, if you stick with my first comment) Men's Basketball.  Lafayette has a good basketball tradition and have shown through the years that they can pack the house and create a lot of interest when they are winners.

3 Women's Basketball.  Not much of a tradition yet, but could feed off the men's program if they could only get something going.

Everything else - sorry, Bogie, EVERYTHING ELSE - is just a little niche program where you barely need bleachers for the people who show up, and many (most?) don't even look at the scores.  The College should be focusing on the three mentioned.

By the way, is everyone aware that in the 2010-2011 school year Lafayette had only one - one! - team with a winning record?  Men's soccer went 8-7-3.  I leave out the sports like track & field, cross country, swimming & diving, golf, etc. where dual meets are rare.  That's 13 teams in my count - 6 men's and 7 women's.  The men's winning percentage was 36%.  Women's winning percentage was 30%.    How people retain their employment with these results is baffling.  Exactly how does the administration define "success?"
Lost Again

Carney, that is sooooo last year.  There are already 3 for 2011-2012.  Both soccer teams and field hockey.
carney2

Lost Again wrote:
Carney, that is sooooo last year.  There are already 3 for 2011-2012.  Both soccer teams and field hockey.


Our cup runneth over.
edmc2416

Re: Lehigh 57, Lafayette 47

carney2 wrote:
Kpard wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Just another day in Leopardland.


Yeah, but WLax won 15-3.  Not all is lost.


There are only 3 sports that really matter and WLax ain't one of them.  Unless and until we begin to focus on those 3 the good ship Leopard will continue to take on water.


1) Football
2) M Bball
3) ?????


1 thru 10 Football.  Lafayette is a football school.

2 (or 11, if you stick with my first comment) Men's Basketball.  Lafayette has a good basketball tradition and have shown through the years that they can pack the house and create a lot of interest when they are winners.

3 Women's Basketball.  Not much of a tradition yet, but could feed off the men's program if they could only get something going.

Everything else - sorry, Bogie, EVERYTHING ELSE - is just a little niche program where you barely need bleachers for the people who show up, and many (most?) don't even look at the scores.  The College should be focusing on the three mentioned.

By the way, is everyone aware that in the 2010-2011 school year Lafayette had only one - one! - team with a winning record?  Men's soccer went 8-7-3.  I leave out the sports like track & field, cross country, swimming & diving, golf, etc. where dual meets are rare.  That's 13 teams in my count - 6 men's and 7 women's.  The men's winning percentage was 36%.  Women's winning percentage was 30%.    How people retain their employment with these results is baffling.  Exactly how does the administration define "success?"


I am well aware of the dismal records in 2010-2011 and have pointed it out in no uncertain terms to a number of trustees.  While as Lost Again pointed out, the record is better this year, the winter sports teams all have losing records and the overall record against LU continues to be bad (as you are well aware 0-4 in hoops).
edmc2416

Carney: "Everything else - sorry, Bogie, EVERYTHING ELSE - is just a little niche program where you barely need bleachers for the people who show up, and many (most?) don't even look at the scores.  The College should be focusing on the three mentioned. "

Carney: I think Lacrosse would receive a lot of student support if they were better - as happened two years ago when the team started off so well and beat Navy in a monsoon.

Also, baseball has a wonderful tradition is well supported by alums and was very well supported by the students and alums when they won the PL a few years ago.

Men's soccer may be the most competitive program we have and the women's program is on the uptick.

So I would certainly debate you on the topic of selecting only three sports for the college to support.  On the other hand, my cynical side says it would be a big change if the vaunted administration would just support just one sport!  Ah the challenges of being a Leopard fan (and alum!).

As bad as the athletic situation is, what the Admin is trying to do the the Greek system, its attempts to dumb down engineering, and its emphasis on theater  and "gender studies" is getting me close to tearing my hair out.  Political correctness runs rampant in Easton.  They even allowed a performance of that all time popular drama "The Vagina Monologues" on campus last week.

The college is " going to hell in a hand-basket IMHO."
carney2

edmc2416 wrote:
I would certainly debate you on the topic of selecting only three sports for the college to support.


You overreact.  As I understand it, the College must "support"/offer 16 intercollegiate sports to maintain its D-1 status.  I'm not sure of the number, but I think 16 is it.  The huge University of Texas does just that, the minimum.  What I'm saying is that there are scarce resources and all allocation decisions should be slanted to the areas that bring the most bang for the buck.  Those would be the three that I mentioned.  The sports that you enumerate may get something of a following, but they are not going to create the excitement, packed houses, alumni and community interest of the other three.  They will get little more than a line item score, even in the local newspapers.
Lafalum

edmc2416 wrote:
Carney: "Everything else - sorry, Bogie, EVERYTHING ELSE - is just a little niche program where you barely need bleachers for the people who show up, and many (most?) don't even look at the scores.  The College should be focusing on the three mentioned. "

Carney: I think Lacrosse would receive a lot of student support if they were better - as happened two years ago when the team started off so well and beat Navy in a monsoon.

Also, baseball has a wonderful tradition is well supported by alums and was very well supported by the students and alums when they won the PL a few years ago.

Men's soccer may be the most competitive program we have and the women's program is on the uptick.

So I would certainly debate you on the topic of selecting only three sports for the college to support.  On the other hand, my cynical side says it would be a big change if the vaunted administration would just support just one sport!  Ah the challenges of being a Leopard fan (and alum!).

As bad as the athletic situation is, what the Admin is trying to do the the Greek system, its attempts to dumb down engineering, and its emphasis on theater  and "gender studies" is getting me close to tearing my hair out.  Political correctness runs rampant in Easton.  They even allowed a performance of that all time popular drama "The Vagina Monologues" on campus last week.

The college is " going to hell in a hand-basket IMHO."



Actually I would say field hockey is the most competitive having reached the championship game 3 out of the last five years and getting the championship this year. They also have two players on the indoor national team. They will probably open the season ranked in the top 25 ( out of 81 division 1 schools).
They regularly play up ( penn state, unc, UVA, Syracuse , ) Last year they won the PL championship with just two seniors. I wish all our sports were as successful.
Good coach, scholarships, alumni and donor support. Outside of that I agree with everything you wrote. The college is in court defending itself against a lawsuit by Chi Phi and I hear a rumor that a second suit may be in the works over unreasonable search and seizure. In recent years the campus police had to defend themselves against a sexual assault case and the school had to pay 1 mio dollars. There was a sexual harassment suit in the alumni office and this president has the nuts to complain about the Greek system. Twelve years ago they reduced the requirements for graduation from 5 courses a semester to 4.
At the time they kept the enginneering requirement up for professional reasons and we enjoyed a nationally ranked engineering program. Now they are reducing the STEM courses by two. This is progress?..
edmc2416

Lafalum wrote:
edmc2416 wrote:
Carney: "Everything else - sorry, Bogie, EVERYTHING ELSE - is just a little niche program where you barely need bleachers for the people who show up, and many (most?) don't even look at the scores.  The College should be focusing on the three mentioned. "

Carney: I think Lacrosse would receive a lot of student support if they were better - as happened two years ago when the team started off so well and beat Navy in a monsoon.

Also, baseball has a wonderful tradition is well supported by alums and was very well supported by the students and alums when they won the PL a few years ago.

Men's soccer may be the most competitive program we have and the women's program is on the uptick.

So I would certainly debate you on the topic of selecting only three sports for the college to support.  On the other hand, my cynical side says it would be a big change if the vaunted administration would just support just one sport!  Ah the challenges of being a Leopard fan (and alum!).

As bad as the athletic situation is, what the Admin is trying to do the the Greek system, its attempts to dumb down engineering, and its emphasis on theater  and "gender studies" is getting me close to tearing my hair out.  Political correctness runs rampant in Easton.  They even allowed a performance of that all time popular drama "The Vagina Monologues" on campus last week.

The college is " going to hell in a hand-basket IMHO."



Actually I would say field hockey is the most competitive having reached the championship game 3 out of the last five years and getting the championship this year. They also have two players on the indoor national team. They will probably open the season ranked in the top 25 ( out of 81 division 1 schools).
They regularly play up ( penn state, unc, UVA, Syracuse , ) Last year they won the PL championship with just two seniors. I wish all our sports were as successful.
Good coach, scholarships, alumni and donor support. Outside of that I agree with everything you wrote. The college is in court defending itself against a lawsuit by Chi Phi and I hear a rumor that a second suit may be in the works over unreasonable search and seizure. In recent years the campus police had to defend themselves against a sexual assault case and the school had to pay 1 mio dollars. There was a sexual harassment suit in the alumni office and this president has the nuts to complain about the Greek system. Twelve years ago they reduced the requirements for graduation from 5 courses a semester to 4.
At the time they kept the enginneering requirement up for professional reasons and we enjoyed a nationally ranked engineering program. Now they are reducing the STEM courses by two. This is progress?..


Thanks Lafalum.  Good point about field hockey.  Bill Rappolt has been super generous and the coach is an excellent tactician and recruiter.
edmc2416

Carney: If you were at the field for the PL Championship win over Army, you would have been impressed at the support.  But then, maybe you were there!
carney2

edmc2416 wrote:
Carney: If you were at the field for the PL Championship win over Army, you would have been impressed at the support.  But then, maybe you were there!


Check with Xbo.  He will confirm that I never leave my man cave.

What are we talking about?  Parents, siblings, significant others, roommates adding up to literally hundreds?  It was, of course, front page news in the sports sections of the local and regional newspapers.  It was on the tip of alumni tongues at gatherings around the country.  It was what the tour guides talked up as they gave campus tours to prospective freshmen.  It was a major item of discussion when the Alumni Office and others put the arm on potential donors.  It was, in short, a major source of pride for all segments of the College community.

I have to stop now.  My keyboard is largely unusable, as it is dripping with sarcasm.

One more time:  we have a limited number of eggs.  We'd be very well advised to give serious thought as to which baskets receive the most deposits.  How do you think that Bucknell and, when they get it going, Holy Cross, do so well in basketball?  How does Lehigh excel in football and wrestling?  How does Colgate do well in ice hockey?  They are selective.  They don't treat these sports the same as they treat cross country.  They have made conscious choices.  As should we.  There is real bang for the buck in the Lafayette-Lehigh football game and making the FCS playoffs.  There is real bang for the buck if the men's or women's basketball teams make it to the NCAA tournament.  Nowhere else - NOWHERE ELSE - will we get that kind of a return with the alumni and College community, and the overall community in general.
Andy

carney2 wrote:
One more time:  we have a limited number of eggs.  We'd be very well advised to give serious thought as to which baskets receive the most deposits.  How do you think that Bucknell and, when they get it going, Holy Cross, do so well in basketball?  How does Lehigh excel in football and wrestling?  How does Colgate do well in ice hockey?  They are selective.  They don't treat these sports the same as they treat cross country.  They have made conscious choices.  As should we.  There is real bang for the buck in the Lafayette-Lehigh football game and making the FCS playoffs.  There is real bang for the buck if the men's or women's basketball teams make it to the NCAA tournament.  Nowhere else - NOWHERE ELSE - will we get that kind of a return with the alumni and College community, and the overall community in general.


I thought we had already concentrated our assets based on the football and basketball budgets and the fact that we hadn't won a championship in any sport in four years.   We give scholarships in 4 sports. Bucknell gives "some form of merit aid" in 10 sports, Colgate awards scholarships in 13.
carney2

Andy wrote:
I thought we had already concentrated our assets based on the football and basketball budgets and the fact that we hadn't won a championship in any sport in four years.   We give scholarships in 4 sports. Bucknell gives "some form of merit aid" in 10 sports, Colgate awards scholarships in 13.


There is apparently a difference between concentrating one's assets and actually paying attention to and caring about what is going on.  For the past two seasons to-date:

Football:  6-16
Men's Basketball:  24-35
Women's Basketball:  19-38

If our attention is being focused here (as I contend that it should), someone needs glasses.  If concentrating assets includes cutting football equivalencies by 25%, then we're on it like white on rice.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum