Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
The Maroon

Lehigh....

My first live game  this year - I am a horrible fan.

Ouch...

More in a minute.
edmc2416

Another disappointing effort by this group.  Homan played 16 minutes, 2 points and 4 fouls.  LU went right at her.

Coach Nolan must be very frustrated with this group.  Maybe they can beat Colgate(not a sure thing) but fugeddabout it with AU.  So 2-5 at the break, it would seem.

As has been pointed out on this board, this team needs some shooters.
carney2

Could not get a score - anywhere.  I finally got the game wrap-up on WFMZ, Channel 69, out of the Lehigh Valley.  They pretty much reported it as competitive at the half, but a blowout after that.  Things have not gone well with this team since League play began.
edmc2416

carney2 wrote:
Could not get a score - anywhere.  I finally got the game wrap-up on WFMZ, Channel 69, out of the Lehigh Valley.  They pretty much reported it as competitive at the half, but a blowout after that.  Things have not gone well with this team since League play began.


You are quite correct Carney.  Homan has done zilch in league play.  Teams are really concentrating on her: the education of a freshman, I guess.
laflumm

Disappointed in the progression of this team.  They have as much individual talent as other teams, but are poor on fundamentals and execution.  They are routinely out rebounded and give up way too many offensive rebounds especially on missed free throws where they get less than 50% of other teams misses.  Turnovers continue to be a problem.  Team did not have a shot attempt in the first 5 minutes of second half due to turnovers or fouls.  LU pushed a 4 point lead to double digits and never looked back.  Fiacco had a great stat line but she did not win the inside as Williams did just as well.  LU won because they balanced inside and outside.  Laf is one dimensional with entire focus is on inside. Passes rarely come back out if posts are double teamed, and they rarely find the open team mate for an easy shot.  The lack of outside production is as much due to a lack of quality shot attempts as a lack of shooters.  LU shooting percentage was no better than Laf, but they had 15 more shot attempts.  Other than Fiacco who played the entire game, minutes were spread fairly equally over 11 players.  That does not appear to be a good strategy to win games and does not establish consistency or familiarity in tight game situations.  I think coach Nolan has to get the team to play fundamental basketball.  Start with teaching players to box out and go to the man before running to the ball.  Are coaches watching film with players to understand why team gives up so many offensive rebounds?  Try to develop some consistency and identify with the team instead of constantly trying something new to see if it might work.  This team is underperforming and can do better.  It is the coaches job to make that happen.  Lets try to maximize teams asset, understand and limit liabilities, and win some games.
Lafalum

These are instances that drive coaches crazy. Nolan will get this right before the end of the season! We were all probably expecting too much. But there is a lot of work to do.
Andy

laflumm wrote:
Disappointed in the progression of this team.  They have as much individual talent as other teams, but are poor on fundamentals and execution.  They are routinely out rebounded and give up way too many offensive rebounds especially on missed free throws where they get less than 50% of other teams misses.  Turnovers continue to be a problem.  Team did not have a shot attempt in the first 5 minutes of second half due to turnovers or fouls.  LU pushed a 4 point lead to double digits and never looked back.  Fiacco had a great stat line but she did not win the inside as Williams did just as well.  LU won because they balanced inside and outside.  Laf is one dimensional with entire focus is on inside. Passes rarely come back out if posts are double teamed, and they rarely find the open team mate for an easy shot.  The lack of outside production is as much due to a lack of quality shot attempts as a lack of shooters.  LU shooting percentage was no better than Laf, but they had 15 more shot attempts.  Other than Fiacco who played the entire game, minutes were spread fairly equally over 11 players.  That does not appear to be a good strategy to win games and does not establish consistency or familiarity in tight game situations.  I think coach Nolan has to get the team to play fundamental basketball.  Start with teaching players to box out and go to the man before running to the ball.  Are coaches watching film with players to understand why team gives up so many offensive rebounds?  Try to develop some consistency and identify with the team instead of constantly trying something new to see if it might work.  This team is underperforming and can do better.  It is the coaches job to make that happen.  Lets try to maximize teams asset, understand and limit liabilities, and win some games.


Right on!  Great first post, keep em coming.    

Re the relatively equal mins throughout the roster - I just mentioned to Xbo at the men's game that Nolan appears to be trying to "keep everyone happy" and it may be detrimental,  as you say "not a winning strategy."  Honestly though she's in a unique situation and, while not winning, is not subject to allegations of "abandoning those she didn't recruit."   Eventually, presumably, she will have to pare down to a smaller number of core players or maybe she's content with losing initially while doing the right thing for Tammy's recruits.  Anyway, in Coach Nolan we trust.

Definitely agree re the offense.  Hopefully will be resolved with the recruitment of a few shooters.  I like Macklin's increased minutes.
bison137

laflumm wrote:
 They have as much individual talent as other teams, but are poor on fundamentals and execution.  




I think it's very debatable whether they have as much talent as the league's top four teams.
The Maroon

Laflumm - thanks for joining in.

I have to agree with Bison (he's the perrenial buzzkill around here but he's also pretty level-headed) in that we don't have the talent to match up with the league's best teams at this point. Doesn't mean we can't get some W's in here and there. But be real...Sue Troyan beat ours with hers, but she couldn't beat hers with ours.

So I guess that says I'm not ready to blame the coaching - but it doesn't mean we don't agree on the major themes.
It's hard to argue that we rebounded well. LU's 26 second-chance points bear that out.  Given how much we play zone though - it's a risk we take.

The main impression I left Stabler with on Saturday is that we are a team without an identity.  Well, it's even more complicated than that, right now we're a half-court team with a lot of players who want to be a full court team, but not enough good players to make it a full court team.

I have to believe Fiacco's extended minutes were a result of Homan's foul trouble. There were a couple of points in the first half where Danielle was clearly struggling and I think Nolan would loved to have pulled her but we were getting beaten badly enough on the boards.

Our most consistent scoring and rebounding comes from Fiacco and Homan. As much as Homan has struggled - nobody else has stepped it up - she is still second on the team in both categories in league games. The only player besides those two who has scored in double digits in league games was Fahan - with 12. that's through 5 games.

It was obvious - too obvious - that we weren't going to try and run with Lehigh and while that may frustrate the fans behind the bench it's a pretty sound strategy. Lehigh didn't score the first five minutes of the game. Which was AWESOME - except we didn't get our second field goal until the 14:55 mark. The whole scene wasn't conjuring up images of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble...

To their credit Lehigh wasn't going to sit and let us settle into a halfcourt game so they pressed us and it was effective at not letting us get into a rhythm.

Freeland is - as I expected - a pure pg of the "penetrate and dish" variety. The problem was when she drove the lane (a very refreshing sight)  and drew the defense she either waited to long to make the pass or - in just as many cases - nobody had moved to help her make a clear easy assist.

I was surprised at our poor spacing and passing on Saturday night. The 2 or 3 times we had numbers nobody was filling the lanes - and these over-the head passes while effective in getting it to Fiacco are no way to make a living around the perimeter.

Hardly saw any screens or any attempt to get our girls open. Completely agree passes weren't going low to high at all. Fiacco needs to look more

Offense clicked for a while in the middle of the second half as we scored 26 points over about 11 minutes - a torrid pace for this team. 16 of them came from Fiacco, 4 from Freeland, 2 each from Downey, McGorry and Homan.

I see a lot of effort from all of the girls and more frustration than I am used to seeing on a leopard bench. That's a good and a bad thing. I LIKE that we finally have a team that expects to play well. But we have to be realistic. This is the bottom - the worst - it's going to get. We're every bit as good as we were last  year and we lost a chunk of stats from that team.  

I also see a lot of upside in some girls who haven't lit up the stats so far.  Macklin certainly seems to have the "it" factor.

If they keep their heads in it - I honestly believe they can go .500 the rest of the way and possibly advance to the semis of the tournament. That's really ALL that is realistic to expect at this juncture.

Next year - with the addition of two strong rebounders and  (hopefully) a sharpshooter in O'Hare as well as the continued development of the current talent - we could be a 15 or 16 win team. Should that happen - and I strongly believe it will barring anything crazy happening - we can call Nolan's tenure a success.

But right now - we're going to struggle a bit.
carney2

Looking for "better" the second time through the League.  If we don't get it, then it's back to the drawing boards because we're not headed in the right direction.
The Maroon

carney2 wrote:
Looking for "better" the second time through the League.  If we don't get it, then it's back to the drawing boards because we're not headed in the right direction.


Disagree wholeheartedly. This is THE year for us to bottom out. We lost our 3 leading scorers - by far Tammy's best recruiting class - from last season. An 11-19 team. We already eclipsed the big 6 wins that Tammy gave us in her final season.

Nolan is building the program from the bottom up - the only way to do it.

Tavani in year 2: 2-8.
O'Hanlon in year 2: 10-18 - with a special gift of Ciosoci.

Both won championships in year 4.

Nolan has ONE recruiting class on the floor. And they are solid.

What's so hard about this?
carney2

The Maroon wrote:
What's so hard about this?


Impatience.

Too used to losing.
The Maroon

carney2 wrote:
The Maroon wrote:
What's so hard about this?


Impatience.

Too used to losing.


Can't argue - but this isn't about sharpening the saw it's about an overhaul.

While Tammy seemed to change course every year it's clear that Dianne has a plan in place and it's a completely new direction. The players she's bringing in are a bit -higher caliber and you can tell a lot by the type of guards she's bringing in.

Tammy didn't leave the cupboard bare - there's good talent in the Soph through Senior classes - but I sincerely believe it had to get worse before it got better.

We all agree on what's needed:

1) Zone busting shooters - She's our best shooting guard percentage wise - but not nearly enough shots for the minutes she's getting. Her stat line is pretty nice though.  Still we need her to get more looks from outside and find at least one more shooter.

2) Can't argue with Lafflum who said the passes aren't coming out of the post nearly enough. Fiacco gets killed down there every time she gets it and we there's a definite need to get passes back out.

Most worried that team is getting down on itself. I like that their expectations are high - but they still need to remain optimistic.
carney2

The Maroon wrote:
She's our best shooting guard percentage wise - but not nearly enough shots for the minutes she's getting. Her stat line is pretty nice though.  Still we need her to get more looks from outside and find at least one more shooter.


You're talking about Fahan or McGorry.  Which?
The Maroon

carney2 wrote:
The Maroon wrote:
She's our best shooting guard percentage wise - but not nearly enough shots for the minutes she's getting. Her stat line is pretty nice though.  Still we need her to get more looks from outside and find at least one more shooter.


You're talking about Fahan or McGorry.  Which?


Peabody.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum