Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
Lafalum

Make up of Study Committee

The consulting firm will be Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting

The committee will be chaired by Annette Diorio

members:
Dennis Bohn: head coach soccer
Roger Demareski: VP for finance and administration
Theresa Grentz: head coach of women's basketball
Jeffery Helm: Associate prof of mechanical engineering and chair Faculty Academic Policy Committee
Hal Kamine '79 trustee
Cindy Linville '80 president of the  Maroon Club
Bruce McCutcheon director of Athletics
Elizabeth MacDonald '81 Chair of BOT Committee on Student Life
Greg MacDonald  vice president for enrollment
Kaity McKittrick deputy director of athletics
Fran Mustaro '72 chair friends of football
Anna Ptasinski "18  SAAC and women's basketball player
Kim Spang Vp development
David Stifel prof of economics and NCAA Faculty Rep

any comments??
Pard4Life

That's a real committee. Good to see Kamine and Mustaro and Linville on board.
BillS

Pard4Life wrote:
That's a real committee. Good to see Kamine and Mustaro and Linville on board.
This committee is rigged it's top heavy with sports lovers  Wink
bethlehempard

I like the committee.
I never heard of these guys but I wouldn't be likely to:

http://www.icac.us
flyfisher

Pard4Life wrote:
That's a real committee. Good to see Kamine and Mustaro and Linville on board.


Good news, bad news.

Good news, I like the 3 above also. Alumni that see the value in successful sports programs

Bad news, the rest are of the committee is full of LC faculty and AD, asst AD, and current coaches. This seems like a situation where the fireman is also the arsonist. Hopefully it works out
ed65

flyfisher wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
That's a real committee. Good to see Kamine and Mustaro and Linville on board.


Good news, bad news.

Good news, I like the 3 above also. Alumni that see the value in successful spurts programs

Bad news, the rest are of the committee is full of LC faculty and AD, asst AD, and current coaches. This seems like a situation where the fireman is alsomthe arsonist. Hopefully it works out


Just curious fly: why is it bad to have the AD, Asst AD and coaches on the group?  I assume they want to win.  My question is why is Diorio the chairman (woman, person???- I don't know how to be politically correct).
seenalot

I am fine with our side of the Committee - who is the consultant?
Lafalum

ed65 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
That's a real committee. Good to see Kamine and Mustaro and Linville on board.


Good news, bad news.

Good news, I like the 3 above also. Alumni that see the value in successful spurts programs

Bad news, the rest are of the committee is full of LC faculty and AD, asst AD, and current coaches. This seems like a situation where the fireman is alsomthe arsonist. Hopefully it works out


Just curious fly: why is it bad to have the AD, Asst AD and coaches on the group?  I assume they want to win.  My question is why is Diorio the chairman (woman, person???- I don't know how to be politically correct).


Dioro is the Vp for student life and the Athletic Dept reports to her.
LeopardBall10

That looks like a good group to me. I understand Fly's concern about having the AD and Assoc. on the committee, but I think that is a must. Madame President stated that she hired the consultant and created the committee because she was not familiar with D1 athletics. It only makes sense to include the most senior members of those who should know. And if they don't know then it is the consultants job to point that out.

But it is also important to note that the coaches who are included are not the long tenured coaches with the most clout. No Fran or Frank, instead they included young basketball and soccer coaches who have only been on staff for a few years. They also included a student, which I think is highly important.
Lafalum

Theresa will speak her mind and has experience outside of Lafayette which will give the committee perspective. Dennis has, 16 years at Lafayette.
LeopardBall10

Lafalum wrote:
Theresa will speak her mind and has experience outside of Lafayette which will give the committee perspective. Dennis has, 16 years at Lafayette.


My fault, somewhere I mixed up a bio...
NewXbo

Re: Make up of Study Committee

Lafalum wrote:
The consulting firm will be Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting

The committee will be chaired by Annette Diorio

members:
Dennis Bohn: head coach soccer
Roger Demareski: VP for finance and administration
Theresa Grentz: head coach of women's basketball
Jeffery Helm: Associate prof of mechanical engineering and chair Faculty Academic Policy Committee
Hal Kamine '79 trustee
Cindy Linville '80 president of the  Maroon Club
Bruce McCutcheon director of Athletics
Elizabeth MacDonald '81 Chair of BOT Committee on Student Life
Greg MacDonald  vice president for enrollment
Kaity McKittrick deputy director of athletics
Fran Mustaro '72 chair friends of football
Anna Ptasinski "18  SAAC and women's basketball player
Kim Spang Vp development
David Stifel prof of economics and NCAA Faculty Rep

any comments??



Yeah, how were these people picked and by who?
flyfisher

ed65 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
That's a real committee. Good to see Kamine and Mustaro and Linville on board.


Good news, bad news.

Good news, I like the 3 above also. Alumni that see the value in successful sports programs

Bad news, the rest are of the committee is full of LC faculty and AD, asst AD, and current coaches. This seems like a situation where the fireman is also the arsonist. Hopefully it works out


Just curious fly: why is it bad to have the AD, Asst AD and coaches on the group?  I assume they want to win.  My question is why is Diorio the chairman (woman, person???- I don't know how to be politically correct).

Can they be objective? They could be part of the problem. I didn't think Diorio was on there but would be surprised if she wasn't. Just my thoughts.
seenalot

It's going to be difficult for any/all of these folks to separate their personal agenda and more so their relationships  from making recommendations that are specific and not watered down pablum.  At least beyond "spend more money".

I really think they are going to want (or should want) the neck for hire (consultant) to point at specific turds in the punchbowl and say "fix this or that".  So again, if we got that  selection right and they are empowered we have a far better chance of an outcome that befits the college.  
Lafalum

seenalot wrote:
It's going to be difficult for any/all of these folks to separate their personal agenda and more so their relationships  from making recommendations that are specific and not watered down pablum.  At least beyond "spend more money".

I really think they are going to want (or should want) the neck for hire (consultant) to point at specific turds in the punchbowl and say "fix this or that".  So again, if we got that  selection right and they are empowered we have a far better chance of an outcome that befits the college.  


I would hope the president herself sits down one on one with the consultant to get an unencumbered view of things. I agree some of the problems may be in the room. First up, in my opinion, the AD should report to the president. That is the model in the league and virtually all of Div one.
Second I would hope they would go beyond the confines of the committee for opinions and answers or else this will be a waste of time. This is truly our last chance to fix this. If it isn't done right the losing template is welded in for years to come.
Andy

seenalot wrote:
It's going to be difficult for any/all of these folks to separate their personal agenda and more so their relationships  from making recommendations that are specific and not watered down pablum.  At least beyond "spend more money".

I really think they are going to want (or should want) the neck for hire (consultant) to point at specific turds in the punchbowl and say "fix this or that".  So again, if we got that  selection right and they are empowered we have a far better chance of an outcome that befits the college.  


Question #1: Why is a person with a background in residence life/diversity officer heading your athletic dept and study committee? A gift from Weiss I assume.  We are the laughing stock in FCS.  Sarah Lawrence lost by 70 to NJIT. I'm telling you, our administrators would be a perfect fit there.
Jpao92

Anette and Bruce have a vested interest in the status quo.   Bruce has told new hire coaches that they will "never have to worry about getting fired at Lafayette."   Anette has been on record as saying she does not feel coaches should be fired.   She knows nothing about athletics, nothing. And we are to believe that what will be coming out of this fiasco?

We really needed a consultant and committee when Captain Obvious could have come on by and told us to:

1)Pay our coaches and their assistants a decent/competitive wage.

2)Have the AD report directly to the President or College development who are most answerable to and not insulated from the alums.

3)Put a shelf life on failure.   While Lafayette does not need to or should it fire coaches the second they fail, surely there is some limit.  Performance based metrics need to extend beyond graduation rates and into wins and losses.

Given that these changes involve stripping Amette of her current responsibility  I ask the question, can she be trusted to chair a committee that might reach that conclusion.   Could it possibly with her as chair?  What changes can we really expect from a committee that is infiltrated by those looking to cover for their horrid performances and justify their existences?  Why not put 3-19 Frank Tavani on there so we can exonerate him of any blame for the football program.  I mean, cut out Anette and Bruce, his middle people.
Kpard

Why don't we just drop all sports programs and see who exactly would like to apply to such a place? Ugh!
Andy

Jpao92 wrote:
Anette and Bruce have a vested interest in the status quo.   Bruce has told new hire coaches that they will "never have to worry about getting fired at Lafayette."   Anette has been on record as saying she does not feel coaches should be fired.   She knows nothing about athletics, nothing. And we are to believe that what will be coming out of this fiasco?


Good God!  Putting her in charge of athletics had to be nothing short of a planned destruction of the dept.  Is it their 150 year tradition to ruin?
Bogus Megapardus

bethlehempard wrote:
I never heard of these guys but I wouldn't be likely to:

http://www.icac.us


InterCollegiate Athletic Consulting (ICAC) showcases two featured "projects" on its website. The first is a study for Towson University to "move its athletic program to Division I-A, following a move to Division I-AA," including "expansion of stadium seating from 6,000 to 15,000."

That didn't happen.

The second featured study is for the University of Scranton to facilitate a "move to Division I and a conference like the Patriot League."

That didn't happen either.

So who are these people, and what results have they shown for the money they're paid? Are they in the business of persuading already-recalcitrant trustee boards not to do stuff?

Maybe we should just be doubly and triply thankful that Lafayette didn't decide to hire these folks instead:

http://www.thepictorgroup.com Wink
Kpard

Madam Femovavitch!
Bogus Megapardus

Kpard wrote:
Madam Femovavitch!


That's a heckuva one-two punch alongside Columbia's infamous M. Dianne Murphy. Rolling Eyes

Between them, the pair probably is busy at work compiling a notebook full of euphemisms to substitute for the phrase, "debilitating Title IX litigation." Once they're done with that, maybe they can find some white space in between the tawdry stock-art photos of Anonymous Beautiful People to shoehorn in a pic of their richly-deserved award for "Least Appealing Sports Consultant Website Design of 2017."

But I digress . . .
leopard88

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
bethlehempard wrote:
I never heard of these guys but I wouldn't be likely to:

http://www.icac.us


InterCollegiate Athletic Consulting (ICAC) showcases two featured "projects" on its website. The first is a study for Towson University to "move its athletic program to Division I-A, following a move to Division I-AA," including "expansion of stadium seating from 6,000 to 15,000."

That didn't happen.

The second featured study is for the University of Scranton to facilitate a "move to Division I and a conference like the Patriot League."

That didn't happen either.

So who are these people, and what results have they shown for the money they're paid? Are they in the business of persuading already-recalcitrant trustee boards not to do stuff?

Maybe we should just be doubly and triply thankful that Lafayette didn't decide to hire these folks instead:

http://www.thepictorgroup.com Wink


Well, Towson did expand its stadium to approximately 11,000, so there's that.
NewXbo

Why was she forced out of Penn? What were her accomplishments as PL director?
bethlehempard

I don't know why she left Penn but the school lost a notable reverse-discrimination suit In those days .


http://www.thedp.com/article/2003...eal_on_gender_discrimination_suit

Again I don't know why she left. Litigation happens. many administrators get sued. Also I'm not sure if this was the end of everything in this case.
During her years at Penn, Philadelphia got the women's final four, which was a big deal. She was part of that.

Also I don't like to see courts get involved in individual hiring decisions. Just my opinion.
Bogus Megapardus

leopard88 wrote:
Well, Towson did expand its stadium to approximately 11,000, so there's that.


That expansion happened in 1999-2002, according to Towson's website. I don't think our ICAC folks had anything to do with that.

Looking at the biographical section of the ICAC website, certainly there are a couple of people there whose expertise would seem helpful. I have to wonder, though, what it was about this consulting firm that made it the rational/logical choice to inform the future of Lafayette athletics.
leopard88

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
leopard88 wrote:
Well, Towson did expand its stadium to approximately 11,000, so there's that.


That expansion happened in 1999-2002, according to Towson's website. I don't think our ICAC folks had anything to do with that.

Looking at the biographical section of the ICAC website, certainly there are a couple of people there whose expertise would seem helpful. I have to wonder, though, what it was about this consulting firm that made it the rational/logical choice to inform the future of Lafayette athletics.


I didn't catch the date on the website and wasn't sure of the stadium expansion date.

That said, I can just about see the Towson campus from my office and have been to a fair number of Towson sporting events (basketball, football, lacrosse, soccer).  I also know many Towson graduates, the graduates' overall level of commitment to the school and the school's place in the local athletic market.  Whoever thought there is/was a prayer of Towson moving up to FBS is delusional.
bethlehempard

True but I'd have said the same about UMass. 2-10 last year as an Independent. A GDI.
leopard88

At least UMass is a flagship campus.  Towson is a big school, but it isn't even "University of Maryland -- Towson" . . . which would, of course, drive the UMBC people crazy if that ever happened.*

* -- Not that it ever will.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum