Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
leopard88

New Science Center

Renderings included.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/e...5m_lafayette_college_science.html
Bogus Megapardus

Holy crap. Did anybody know about this?
leopard88

Not me. but I'm (usually) much more out of touch than the rest of you guys.
ed65

Not sure exactly when the science center was announced but it was some time before the Lehigh Game bec. I talked about it in the parking deck with a number of people.
2012Pard

Great news!  Kunkel Hall is an embarrassment.
Bogus Megapardus

2012Pard wrote:
Great news!  Kunkel Hall is an embarrassment.


It is kind of an embarrassment and it's not that old.  Mid 1980s?
Bogus Megapardus

I just took a look at the Dan Weiss-era Master Plan.  This new building is not part of that plan.  However, that Master Plan showed Kunkel Hall being replaced by a new science building.

The new science building appears to be substantially larger than the one that would have replaced Kunkel in the Dan Weiss Master Plan.

Maybe Kunkel can be re-purposed into something more suitable.
leopard88

I think Kunkel is older than the mid-80s.  I'm pretty sure it was there the whole time I was in college.

As for the plan, the slideshow captions say "Lafayette College in Easton plans to take Kunkel Hall, home to the biology department, and convert it to a regular classroom building once the new science center is complete."

* -- Hopefully the awkwardly worded sentence in quotes was not written by a Lafayette alumnus.
Spardicus80

Kunkel Hall was completed in 1969.  It was named to honor a biology professor - Beverly Kunkel who was a professor from 1915-1952.  I certainly agree that a new science center is sorely needed and will benefit the college greatly by attracting students who are interested in the STEM fields.
BPard

Bogie, I believe it was the new Treasurers idea to locate the new science center on Anderson Courtyard next to Acopian/AHE. This is what necessitates moving College support staff in facilities/plant operations down the hill. Their space is being thoughtfully repurposed for the new academic building.
Bogus Megapardus

Spardicus80 wrote:
Beverly Kunkel who was a professor from 1915-1952.


Turns out Beverly was a dude. Lafayette always is way ahead of the times, huh?

bethlehempard

"That that dude looks like a lady ... "
Not really. There was a picture of him in the building in my day.
Too much Calvados tonight. From the damn near shock and awe of the men and women almost both winning in a single night.
Almost.
ed65

The Dan Weiss Master Plan was a fantasy.  The guy should be tarred and feathered.  Whatever you may feel about Byerly, she is an enormous improvement.
Lafalum

Agreed, he spoke out of both sides of his mouth, Byerly gets things done!!
bethlehempard

Byerly and the board are making bold moves and even those who hate the elevator have to admit that the expansion and this center are great improvements.
Ironically the big move during the Weiss era was awarding scholarships.
Say what you will about Rothkopf, but at least he had an ethos (yes, movie reference).
It's the brief Rotberg era that really made no sense.
Through them all, the college has been financially secure and responsible.
Lafalum

A guiding ethos in the face of good sense and changing circumstance ended up being debilitating to the college. Rotberg did great harm to the school, while Rothkopf really halted progress as he dug in on the athletic and fraternity issue. Weiss was all about himself as we and Haverford found out. We are now in a real catch up mode now, thank goodness. Byerly is leading with an objective to improve services to our "student-clients." She has recognized who we are supposed to serve and how that can get done given the marketplace.
I suspect given her success as a model our BOT is getting with it as well. Some had to be dragged and forced into the 21st century. That leadership will be changing soon too.
The challenge will be to find generous donors to replace the Oeschles and Hugel's of our donor base!
SixtyEighter

The 1969 Kunkel Hall replaced the Civil War era Kunkel Hall where  I took Bio 1-2 with Dr. Lewis Stableford which was behind Zeta Psi on the south precipice of the Hill just below South College.It may now be part of the Economics building if that cluster of buildings is still used for that purpose.
ed65

bethlehempard wrote:
Byerly and the board are making bold moves and even those who hate the elevator have to admit that the expansion and this center are great improvements.
Ironically the big move during the Weiss era was awarding scholarships.
Say what you will about Rothkopf, but at least he had an ethos (yes, movie reference).
It's the brief Rotberg era that really made no sense.
Through them all, the college has been financially secure and responsible.


With respect bethpard: Rothkopf was an utter disaster for the athletic program and an arrogant p___K to boot.  Imagine losing the Lehigh Rivalry and moving LC to D-3, and he is an alum to boot.  His attitude toward growth of the college and planning for the future was lip service at its best.  The conversations I had with him over athletics were some of the most infuriating discussions that I have ever had with anyone.  Further, I don't think he knew there was an engineering department.  He is emblematic of the elitist no clue beltway types that the Trumpites dissed in the Election.
Bogus Megapardus

If this rendering is accurate, the new Science Center will have a very appealing design, IMHO  It will blend in nicely with AHE and Watson Hall. Well done once again, Lafayette.


bethlehempard

I didn't agree with Rothkopf but the Lafayette community could get a read on his beliefs and goals. Based on his comments on that accreditation board he (still?) sits on, he maintains those beliefs.
Rotberg was a total mystery. I met him a couple times.
My first impression was, "How did this guy get through the first interview?"
I'm certain he was a smart and accomplished fellow. What his goals at Lafayette were, I could never determine. He didn't like the place much.
He was out faster than "sh.t through a goose" by our standards and it still seemed like an eternity.
Bogus Megapardus

bethlehempard wrote:
Rotberg was a total mystery. I met him a couple times. My first impression was, "How did this guy get through the first interview?"


With Rotberg, I think Lafayette was trying to figure out what it wanted to be instead of realizing and taking stock in what it already was. Rotberg was a Oberlin graduate. That should have told the BOE everything it needed to know.
    During the presidency of Rotberg, a historian specializing in African history, the curriculum was reformed and faculty teaching loads reduced.
https://president.lafayette.edu/presidents-of-lafayette/

In somebody's mind, the answer to the question, "what does Lafayette want to be?" apparently was, "more like Oberlin." Wrong question and even worse answer.

Fortunately we don't have to ask that question any longer. Instead, I think other institutions now look around and say they want to be "more like Lafayette." For all their faults (and there are many) I suppose we have Rothkopf and Weiss to to thank for that, at least in part.
Bogus Megapardus

Just to add to the above, we can thank Alison Byerly for a renewed focus on science and engineering, together with her recognition and support of the importance of maintaining athletic competition at the highest level.

Everything about President Byerly bespeaks how comfortable she is in her own skin. That, in turn, projects how Lafayette is comfortable in its own skin. President Byerly doesn't need to "be like" anybody else; ergo Lafayette doesn't need to "be like" anyplace else. The top-to-bottom amalgam of doing a lot of really difficult stuff really well, without compromise, makes Lafayette look like a place where truly exceptional people want to be.
Leopard Loyalist

Bogus Megapardus wrote:

Everything about President Byerly bespeaks how comfortable she is in her own skin. That, in turn, projects how Lafayette is comfortable in its own skin. President Byerly doesn't need to "be like" anybody else; ergo Lafayette doesn't need to "be like" anyplace else. The top-to-bottom amalgam of doing a lot of really difficult stuff really well, without compromise, makes Lafayette look like a place where truly exceptional people want to be.


Excellent analysis! Nothing says pathetic more than trying to be like something/someone else.
leopard88

Leopard Loyalist wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:

Everything about President Byerly bespeaks how comfortable she is in her own skin. That, in turn, projects how Lafayette is comfortable in its own skin. President Byerly doesn't need to "be like" anybody else; ergo Lafayette doesn't need to "be like" anyplace else. The top-to-bottom amalgam of doing a lot of really difficult stuff really well, without compromise, makes Lafayette look like a place where truly exceptional people want to be.


Excellent analysis! Nothing says pathetic more than trying to be like something/someone else.


Agreed . . . with both of you.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum