Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
bethlehempard

On to Army. On to Army.

No spread yet.
Massey FCS Ratings

1-NDSU
15-Villanova*
23-Harvard
26-Lehigh*
29-Fordham*
43-Monmouth
48-Princeton*
49-Penn
53-Dartmouth
54-Duquesne
56-Gardner Webb
57-Cornell
62-Colgate* 1-4
69-Delaware*
76-Bucknell*
79-Georgetown*
82-Holy Cross*
92-Columbia
95-URI
96-Lafayette
97-Marist
103-CCSU*
125th and last, Mississippi Valley State

*2016 opponent
Army is No. 93 in the FBS out of 128. The Knights have wins over Temple (71), Rice (126), UTEP (127), and losses to Duke (65) and Buffalo (124).

PFL, MEAC and SWAC teams are pulling ahead of us though cracking triple digits runs into some resistance.
Pards Rule

Would 34 be a reality?
bethlehempard

Fordham beat us by 24 and the game was not as close as the score indicated.
Fordham lost to Navy by 36, and to Monmouth by 1.
I wouldn't stake the house on Lafayette +34, or bet on any game where we must rely upon the kindness of strangers (the other coaches) to avoid disaster.
Fordham spreads versus Navy ranged from 18 to 24.5 points. Loss 52-16.
Colgate got about 24 against Syracuse and lost 33-7.
Be honest; 33-7 next week would be a moral victory.
Army lost to Buffalo, one of the worst teams in the FBS and with Temple's struggles, that win isn't as impressive as it was. Still this is Army, one of four FBS independents (though Notre Dame shouldn't count).
A no-line game may be the way to go.
ESPN's matchup-indicator gives Lafayette a 1.8 percent chance of winning.
Maybe we can make some big plays, get some TOs and some luck and be in it.
I sort of just want it to be over. The Army games for this year and 2018 were announced in 2013 when we didn't realize we would get worse with scholarships.
ed65

While my wife and I will be in the stands rooting passionately for our Leopards. I have a sick feeling that they will be routed bec.  they will not be able to stop the running game of the Knights.  It is awfully hard to play against that offense when you don't see it very often.  While Army is no juggernaut, they are good a recruiting fast O lineman and the types of QBs that can run the option or whatever that offense is called.
LeopardBall10

I am honestly more worried about the health and wellfare of the Leopards than anything else at this point in this game. Granted, this is Army not the Green Bay Packers, so the size differential should not be overwhelming. But I can guarantee a few things going into this game. The Black Knights will have a killer instinct, and they will go at you from the start. They will run the ball right down your throat all day, even if you stop it. The basic scheme they use utilizes a ton of cut blocks. Unfortunately, I see all of these things creating a very high probability of injury for our LBs and DL. Those of you who can attend a practice, please tell me they are working cut drills every day. I'm worried.
SixtyEighter

Ultimate ignominy- to be ranked below Columbia which is the perennial epitome of football failure.There will be another debacle this week at Michie Stadium.Army has a fullback from the Lehigh Valley I believe who runs like a truck and is very successful against FBS opponents.
flyfisher

LeopardBall10 wrote:
I am honestly more worried about the health and wellfare of the Leopards than anything else at this point in this game. Granted, this is Army not the Green Bay Packers, so the size differential should not be overwhelming. But I can guarantee a few things going into this game. The Black Knights will have a killer instinct, and they will go at you from the start. They will run the ball right down your throat all day, even if you stop it.

The basic scheme they use utilizes a ton of cut blocks. Unfortunately, I see all of these things creating a very high probability of injury for our LBs and DL. Those of you who can attend a practice, please tell me they are working cut drills every day. I'm worried.


Exactly. It's like playing Wake Forest. You get cut blocked all day. Legal but frustrating. I see us getting beat but I don't think Loose and the staff run it up on us. 41-14. Time of possession could be wacky. Let's get out of this game healthy and get ready for Bucknell and Georgetown.
LeopardBall10

flyfisher wrote:
I see us getting beat but I don't think Loose and the staff run it up on us. 41-14. Time of possession could be wacky. Let's get out of this game healthy and get ready for Bucknell and Georgetown.


I wouldn't hold out on any love lost between Loose and Frank to save us here. From what I hear Monkin is not the kind of guy to take his foot off the gas, and Loose will give them every Mickey Fien trick he knows. If we can keep it under control early we'll be ok. But let it get away from us and it can turn ugly quick.
seenalot

Mich./Rutgers ugly....
SIDELINER

LOCAL MEDIA FROM THE WEEKLY LUNCHEON.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...luncheon-1011-20161011-story.html

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...ng-some-army-games-media-day.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...fayettes_lonardo_sees_progre.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/s...dy_davidson_pounding_out_tou.html
Andy

SIDELINER wrote:
LOCAL MEDIA FROM THE WEEKLY LUNCHEON.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...luncheon-1011-20161011-story.html

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...ng-some-army-games-media-day.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...fayettes_lonardo_sees_progre.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/s...dy_davidson_pounding_out_tou.html


2-15
NLF

Well, as a distraction to the apocalyptic predictions of the spread and the proposition of a major blow-out, I'll point out that this is a rare opportunity to see the Leopards' game schedule posted on the FBS page, alongside nationally ranked FBS teams.
Franks Tanks

SIDELINER wrote:
LOCAL MEDIA FROM THE WEEKLY LUNCHEON.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...luncheon-1011-20161011-story.html

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...ng-some-army-games-media-day.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...fayettes_lonardo_sees_progre.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/s...dy_davidson_pounding_out_tou.html



Paul takes us down memory lane for some memorable games.  In 92 we led Army with 1 minute left, and Marsh didn't even play in that game due to injury.  We played them very tough in the 80s, and Army was quite good in those days under Jim Young.  This is without scholarships.
SixtyEighter

National notice for our 1-5 record.Also in our race to the  bottom with Columbia so far Columbia's only win this season is against Wagner.It's neck and neck down the stretch.
bethlehempard

Wagner will play at CCSU this Saturday. Homecoming.
Go CCSU!
NE Leopard

I think most of us on the board whether we like it or not feel we are about where we thought we'd be at this point in the season. Did we let a couple winnable games slip away? Yes I feel we did (Delaware and Princeton). Nobody thinks we can beat Army, which will be a tough task this week. But we still have games that we should be competitive in. Looking ahead, it seems like Lehigh will be the toughest game left...I'm still thinking we have a great shot to be 3-8 or with some luck, 4-7, which after last year's disaster is a major step forward with this program.

I know the players are not giving up, and we shouldn't either. The kids deserves our support!!
flyfisher

NE Leopard wrote:
I think most of us on the board whether we like it or not feel we are about where we thought we'd be at this point in the season. Did we let a couple winnable games slip away? Yes I feel we did (Delaware and Princeton). Nobody thinks we can beat Army, which will be a tough task this week. But we still have games that we should be competitive in. Looking ahead, it seems like Lehigh will be the toughest game left...I'm still thinking we have a great shot to be 3-8 or with some luck, 4-7, which after last year's disaster is a major step forward with this program.

I know the players are not giving up, and we shouldn't either. The kids deserves our support!!


I truly believe the team is better this year but going in to the se season I realized it was possible we might not win a game. And we could have lost at CCSt. They gave us a bunch of mistakes. However we have been more competitive in most games. I felt all along we could win between 0-4 games and that hasn't changed. If I had to revise my estimate I would say we might get 3 wins. Im not that upset. I realized this a long time ago. Now we are just living it so we get more vocal at times.
BPard

NE Leopard wrote:
I think most of us on the board whether we like it or not feel we are about where we thought we'd be at this point in the season.
Holy Cross @ Homecoming was the dagger for me.
Andy

I'm very disappointed.  Thought with sr QBs, what I thought were considerable weapons in Brown, CJ, Wads, Mrazek, Joey etc, and an improved OL ("best talent we've had in years" - me) we'd be special on O. Thought the D would be good with experienced DL, BB, Root, Powe at Lb but with lingering doubts in secondary.  Hasn't happened.

No show 1st half loss to HC with 3rd string QB and a WR at RB was just awful.  The lowpoint of Tavani era. Of course BB's loss is huge but come on.  I'm disgusted but will be at Michie with son and others.  

As others have said we just haven't kept up with rest of league in scheme or apparently talent. I used to support this staff but they've lost me.
LC Fan

Thought we'd be improved, especially since last year was a horror show and the talent in the last two recruited classes seemed superior. However, the players have lost confidence in themselves and their coaches. Our players in all aspects of the game seem confused. The offensive line's play has been ineffectual for years and that has to fall on Frank and Stan. The defense constantly seems out of position and the secondary, even in blitz packages, plays way too soft. That has to fall on Frank and Link. The special teams play is dreadful providing consistently bad field position, not to mention a multitude of blocked kicks. We need someone to come in to the program like Russo did decades ago and bring some confidence to the players.

It should not surprise anyone if we get blown out by Bucknell and Georgetown like we did last year. I haven't seen any reason to expect a different result.
flyfisher

I should get some pretty good feedback on this game. One of my customers, a close friend and a fraternity brother is one of the officials for this game.
flyfisher

Andy wrote:
I'm very disappointed.  Thought with sr QBs, what I thought were considerable weapons in Brown, CJ, Wads, Mrazek, Joey etc, and an improved OL ("best talent we've had in years" - me) we'd be special on O. Thought the D would be good with experienced DL, BB, Root, Powe at Lb but with lingering doubts in secondary.  Hasn't happened.

No show 1st half loss to HC with 3rd string QB and a WR at RB was just awful.  The lowpoint of Tavani era. Of course BB's loss is huge but come on.  I'm disgusted but will be at Michie with son and others.  

As others have said we just haven't kept up with rest of league in scheme or apparently talent. I used to support this staff but they've lost me.


I am sorry Andy. I think your expectations were too high. We lack speed at many positions. A player said it best recently, our O-line is beat from the snap. they don't move laterally that well. You have the defense read pretty well. Just over-rated.
bethlehempard

If this preview turns out to be acccurate, fans will be ecstatic.

https://campusinsiders.com/news/a...ediction-game-preview-10-13-2016/

No line and campusinsiders expects Army to win 27-21.
Kpard

It is supposed to be a beautiful day in the Hudson Valley. Enjoy the tailgating and atmosphere and all the splendor that our tax dollars have provided.
The game will not be pretty for anyone in spots. Crying or Very sad
zenator

LC Fan wrote:
Thought we'd be improved, especially since last year was a horror show and the talent in the last two recruited classes seemed superior. However, the players have lost confidence in themselves and their coaches. Our players in all aspects of the game seem confused. The offensive line's play has been ineffectual for years and that has to fall on Frank and Stan. The defense constantly seems out of position and the secondary, even in blitz packages, plays way too soft. That has to fall on Frank and Link. The special teams play is dreadful providing consistently bad field position, not to mention a multitude of blocked kicks. We need someone to come in to the program like Russo did decades ago and bring some confidence to the players.

It should not surprise anyone if we get blown out by Bucknell and Georgetown like we did last year. I haven't seen any reason to expect a different result.


Agree with some of your observations and disagree with others.

First, the good news is that LC has finally learned how successfully to recruit in the near environment. I agree that the talent in the past 2 classes is superior, which bodes well for the future but not the present. Remember this is a team that only has 12 seniors...

I also agree that the play of the O-line has been ineffectual, at least in the running game. The main culprit IMO is not the players, but the zone blocking scheme, which does not fit the personnel.

I really have no quarrel with the D, which spends way too much time on the field due to the lack of a running game on offense.

I do not believe that the players have given up, but no doubt are frustrated with losing.
edge29

I've never been to Michie as a spectator so it'll be nice to soak in the atmosphere and see the foliage.  It's just too bad it won't be much of a game.  

Good luck to the players making the trip.
flyfisher

zenator wrote:
LC Fan wrote:
Thought we'd be improved, especially since last year was a horror show and the talent in the last two recruited classes seemed superior. However, the players have lost confidence in themselves and their coaches. Our players in all aspects of the game seem confused. The offensive line's play has been ineffectual for years and that has to fall on Frank and Stan. The defense constantly seems out of position and the secondary, even in blitz packages, plays way too soft. That has to fall on Frank and Link. The special teams play is dreadful providing consistently bad field position, not to mention a multitude of blocked kicks. We need someone to come in to the program like Russo did decades ago and bring some confidence to the players.

It should not surprise anyone if we get blown out by Bucknell and Georgetown like we did last year. I haven't seen any reason to expect a different result.


Agree with some of your observations and disagree with others.

First, the good news is that LC has finally learned how successfully to recruit in the near environment. I agree that the talent in the past 2 classes is superior, which bodes well for the future but not the present. Remember this is a team that only has 12 seniors...

I also agree that the play of the O-line has been ineffectual, at least in the running game. The main culprit IMO is not the players, but the zone blocking scheme, which does not fit the personnel.

I really have no quarrel with the D, which spends way too much time on the field due to the lack of a running game on offense.

I do not believe that the players have given up, but no doubt are frustrated with losing.

excellent point on zone blocking scheme for our line
bethlehempard

Monken on the game, which is sold out:

http://goarmywestpoint.com/news/2...-conference-quotes-lafayette.aspx

Army has beaten two terrible FBS teams and lost to one terrible FBS team, Buffalo.
Bowl eligibility is an issue.
The rest of their schedule:

Lafayette
North Texas
Wake Forest
Air Force
Notre Dame
Morgan State (I know Army -- excuse me AWP -- is an independent but Morgan State in November, that is ridiculous)
Navy

Temple had all summer to get ready for Army's offense and looked entirely unprepared. That is not characteristic of Matt Rhule.

Fox Sports, good comments by Mrazek:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-...oping-to-break-2-game-skid-101416
SIDELINER

If you're not sure how early you want to arrive at Michie Stadium tomorrow morning, there's a schedule of morning events at
www.ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com

Game time is noon.  Full-dress parade of cadets is at 9 a.m.
flyfisher

Dress parade with cadets is very cool if you have not seen it.
Franks Tanks

A little nervous about the impending doom, and really can't bring myself to watch.  Afraid we are going to get embarrassed today.  When Army is up by 40, remember that Army lost to Yale in 14, Fordham in 15 and beat Bucknell last year by 7. Frank and his bosses should be embarrassed that they have allowed Lafayette football to get to this point.  Someone please do something while s few of us still care.
BillS

Franks Tanks wrote:
A little nervous about the impending doom, and really can't bring myself to watch.  Afraid we are going to get embarrassed today.  When Army is up by 40, remember that Army lost to Yale in 14, Fordham in 15 and beat Bucknell last year by 7. Frank and his bosses should be embarrassed that they have allowed Lafayette football to get to this point.  Someone please do something while s few of us still care.
Rumors say that has already happened hopefully they are smart with the new coaching hires!
Franks Tanks

Really no other option.  

While I am willing to accept that the guys on staff are better coaches than recent results indicate, really think we need a clean break.  Who do we even have committed for next year.  Last I looked we had 2 guys per Andy.   Is the current staff even recruiting?
Pards Rule

Is there any spread on this game?
flyfisher

Franks Tanks wrote:
Really no other option.  

While I am willing to accept that the guys on staff are better coaches than recent results indicate, really think we need a clean break.  Who do we even have committed for next year.  Last I looked we had 2 guys per Andy.   Is the current staff even recruiting?


Current staff is recruiting and players are coming in for visits. However when you have the situation we are in most coaches tend to address the matter at hand and that is preparing for a game. When the situation is what it is there is no recruiting for next year if you don't take care of business this year. They did have some great camps this summer and had a lot of good players on campus. I have not heard any rumors on anything else.
RichH

Pards Rule wrote:
Is there any spread on this game?

No Vegas line. Massey has Army by 31.
Andy

Franks Tanks wrote:
Really no other option.  

While I am willing to acgcept that the guys on staff are better coaches than recent results indicate, really think we need a clean break.  Who do we even have committed for next year.  Last I looked we had 2 guys per Andy.   Is the current staff even recruiting?


5 published commits, FT.
admin

Pards Rule wrote:
Is there any spread on this game?


ESPN has it at 34
Pards Rule

I need a link please. Why isnt it on PLN??
WVPard

Game is on CBS Sports Network, at least on Comcast.
Bogus Megapardus

I'm thrilled Lafayette paying Army once again.  I wish only that we were doing so with a different team, under the tutelage of a different coaching staff.

This is going to be a horrible afternoon as we watch the triple option blow past and Army gets in some fun practice for its rarely-used passing game.
Bogus Megapardus

PI and a face mask while Palumbo was trying to catch.  No call.  It's going to be a VERY long afternoon.
Bogus Megapardus

Perhaps Lafayette demoted football to Club status without telling anybody.  Perhaps the academe has designated Fisher Field as a "safe space" where no physical contact is permitted. I dunno. Whatever it is, it's clearly over.

I hope Colgate, Lehigh and Holy Cross are cackling in hysterics over this bottomless chasm of ineptitude. I hope the parents of all our recruits are watching this and will choose to send their sons elsewhere. I hope all the recruits are watching and will flood Twitter with tales of Lafayette's football ineptitude. I hope the Patriot League seriously rethinks Lafayette's suitability for continued membership.

If we want football, the house has to be swept clean down to the basement. It starts at the top.

Frank Tavani, please resign now. I mean TODAY. Bruce McCutcheon, as soon as you accept Tavani's resignation, please submit yours. I'm sure both of you will meander on enjoyably with your tenure and your pensions.

But please leave right now.  

Needless to say there will be many other calls for the same. I'm going to be rather animated and aggressive about this and I plan to ruffle a few feathers on the hill with some embarrassing and rather public parody for which I will be solely responsible and bear all costs. But allow me to warn folks in Markle that it will be professionally done and YOU WILL SEE IT EVERY DAY.

So to Frank, Bruce and the rest of the Comfortably Numb on the Hill - this sucks, you know it, and you did nothing to fix it. Eff You. All of you. You've embarrassed all of us for years. It's time for me to embarrass you.
Bogus Megapardus

Let's start with this.






This banner will be hung everywhere I can get away with it. It will keep going up if it is taken down. And that's not even a professional version - it was done by some schlub on his homemade computer with cheapo software when he was supposed to be out cutting the lawn.

There's MUCH more to come.



Pards Rule

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
PI and a face mask while Palumbo was trying to catch.  No call.  It's going to be a VERY long afternoon.


I saw that too!!

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum