Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Lacrosse
pards4ever

Patriot league

BU a 2nd year program beating Colgate and putting up 18 goals!!! We need to open up the offense and let our kids play!!!! Stop slowing it down!!! Also what is going on with our EMO?? We are the worst in the Patriot league!! Again lets make changes!!! we need to play 4 middies tops!! that is what most D1 teams play We can beat Navy
bison137

Re: Patriot league

pards4ever wrote:
we need to play 4 middies tops!! that is what most D1 teams play We can beat Navy



Assume you mean 4 offensive middies and 4 defensive ones.   FWIW, Bucknell used 10 mids (not counting FOGO)  today in a one-goal win at Lehigh.  That is a typical number for them in a close game.
pards4ever

Yes ,4 offensive and 4 defensive
seenalot

We turn the ball over more than any other team in the league, 7th out of 9 in caused turnovers, 6th out of 9 in shooting percentage and dead last in faceoff %.  How exactly do you believe that speeding the game up (which, based on the above, means giving the other team the ball more) helps....?

I don't like it anymore than the next person, but that's going to turn a 9-6 loss into a 18-12 loss or worse.    

I agree that something has to change, but just opening up the game isn't it.
pards4ever

Slowing up the game is not working...let's try speeding up the game... Do you really have anything to lose when you are at the bottom????
seenalot

yeah - a goalie to shell shock
LeopardPride2013

While it is frustrating for Leopard fans to see Holy Cross and BU having surprising wins this year I feel a little more patience is warranted. Last year was the coaches first recruiting class and he is clearly building for the future by giving the sophomores and some freshman a lot of playing time this year. Holy Crosses team this year was the 4th year of the former coaches recruiting classes. The Lafayette coach will need at least one more year of recruits to institute his system.

The defense/goalie is very young, has played well this year and will be very good in the next few years. The attack is playing very well and will continue to improve. The middies need to beat their men and create unbalanced opportunities for themselves and the attack. FO is clearly an issue but hopefully the Hofstra transfer will begin to contribute. If the team can score 10 goals a game it will be competitive. Games this year have all been competitive (including losing to Army 6-3 halfway thru the 3rd quarter and tied with Penn well into 4th quarter) and that is progress vs. last year. Upcoming games with Navy, BU, UMBC, SH, Monmouth, HC and NJIT are all winnable and I hope we get at least 4 wins. Loyola, Bucknell and Lehigh will be tough but as can be seen from Patriot League games this year anything is possible. A 5 win season would show great progress over last year and would be a springboard to greater success in 2016.

Be patient fans - better times are coming
ed65

LeopardPride2013 wrote:
While it is frustrating for Leopard fans to see Holy Cross and BU having surprising wins this year I feel a little more patience is warranted. Last year was the coaches first recruiting class and he is clearly building for the future by giving the sophomores and some freshman a lot of playing time this year. Holy Crosses team this year was the 4th year of the former coaches recruiting classes. The Lafayette coach will need at least one more year of recruits to institute his system.

The defense/goalie is very young, has played well this year and will be very good in the next few years. The attack is playing very well and will continue to improve. The middies need to beat their men and create unbalanced opportunities for themselves and the attack. FO is clearly an issue but hopefully the Hofstra transfer will begin to contribute. If the team can score 10 goals a game it will be competitive. Games this year have all been competitive (including losing to Army 6-3 halfway thru the 3rd quarter and tied with Penn well into 4th quarter) and that is progress vs. last year. Upcoming games with Navy, BU, UMBC, SH, Monmouth, HC and NJIT are all winnable and I hope we get at least 4 wins. Loyola, Bucknell and Lehigh will be tough but as can be seen from Patriot League games this year anything is possible. A 5 win season would show great progress over last year and would be a springboard to greater success in 2016.

Be patient fans - better times are coming


I sure hope you are right.  We should excel at Lax.  It is beyond me to understand why we don't.
LeopardPride2013

Partially because of the inbalance of scholarships vs other Patriot League teams
pards4ever

I only watch the Lafayette games on PLN so its hard to get a feeling of the kids how they react to the coaches...but the captains should do a better job getting the rest of the team up for games..emo...HC and BU are not fully funded programs so Lafayette should be on the same playing field
laxdad

pards4ever wrote:
I only watch the Lafayette games on PLN so its hard to get a feeling of the kids how they react to the coaches...but the captains should do a better job getting the rest of the team up for games..emo...HC and BU are not fully funded programs so Lafayette should be on the same playing field


Great atmosphere at the UPENN game. Players both on and off the field were into it and were loud. My son likes the coaches, knows the team is young but has not felt that they have been overwhelmed by any opponent. Great classes coming in. Lafayette Lax is on the upswing.
ed65

laxdad wrote:
pards4ever wrote:
I only watch the Lafayette games on PLN so its hard to get a feeling of the kids how they react to the coaches...but the captains should do a better job getting the rest of the team up for games..emo...HC and BU are not fully funded programs so Lafayette should be on the same playing field


Great atmosphere at the UPENN game. Players both on and off the field were into it and were loud. My son likes the coaches, knows the team is young but has not felt that they have been overwhelmed by any opponent. Great classes coming in. Lafayette Lax is on the upswing.


I hope you are right.  Lax (both Men and Women) have been an embarrassment for our athletic program.  Mens coach seems to be doing the right things and according to my sources the players like him.  Women, on the other hand, have been coached by Alum Allison Fisher for seven years with not much to show for it (admittedly after the coaching chaos of the prior few years).  She has Anna White as a coach this year - too bad Anna isn't playing.
Lafalum

ed65 wrote:
laxdad wrote:
pards4ever wrote:
I only watch the Lafayette games on PLN so its hard to get a feeling of the kids how they react to the coaches...but the captains should do a better job getting the rest of the team up for games..emo...HC and BU are not fully funded programs so Lafayette should be on the same playing field


Great atmosphere at the UPENN game. Players both on and off the field were into it and were loud. My son likes the coaches, knows the team is young but has not felt that they have been overwhelmed by any opponent. Great classes coming in. Lafayette Lax is on the upswing.


I hope you are right.  Lax (both Men and Women) have been an embarrassment for our athletic program.  Mens coach seems to be doing the right things and according to my sources the players like him.  Women, on the other hand, have been coached by Alum Allison Fisher for seven years with not much to show for it (admittedly after the coaching chaos of the prior few years).  She has Anna White as a coach this year - too bad Anna isn't playing.



And the women have scholarships, though they are not at their NCAA ceiling yet.
seenalot

Agree with laxdad, its baby steps, but playing top teams close is a move in the right direction especially with mostly underclass line up.  Lets see if we can steal a few and keep moving in right direction.  

Someone mentioned FO guy from Hofstra in prior post - is he not playing for reason (hurt)?  Or just not playing?

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Men's Lacrosse
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum