Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
bethlehempard

Predictions?

Lehigh 40 - 3
Hoping against hope to be wrong but Lafayette can't score. Lehigh will be home and fired up and they're playing for a winning season.
Our only hope seems to be a quick start, except Lafayette has had two recently and they did not help.
Sorry. I feel bad about this but reality bites. Needless to say, I'm often wrong.
Go Pards!
Pards Rule

Re: Predictions?

bethlehempard wrote:
Lehigh 40 - 3
Hoping against hope to be wrong but Lafayette can't score. Lehigh will be home and fired up and they're playing for a winning season.
Our only hope seems to be a quick start, except Lafayette has had two recently and they did not help.
Sorry. I feel bad about this but reality bites. Needless to say, I'm often wrong.
Go Pards!



Pards by 33!! Imagine if he were a linebacker wearing 54! Anyways this would have to be one of the biggest upsets in my memory. Probably akin to 1994. 1984 was up there too especially with that margin 28-7.
Pard4Life

By 33!! Bet the house!!
Pards Rule

Pard4Life wrote:
By 33!! Bet the house!!



Done that already! So for me its the tent!
pards123

Competitive early, maybe 10 7 Lehigh after 1. Then Lehigh pulls away and makes it a laugher. Pards lose by 28 Sad. Prove me wrong, men!
Jpao92

A stomp from the get go.  Lehigh will roll us at home, playing for a winning season and, quite frankly, being a better team.  

42-17.
Pards Rule

The Pards have got to show up and they will!!
Jpao92

Maybe for the coin toss.
NE Leopard

Jpao92 wrote:
Maybe for the coin toss.


You are so negative, how about if you just stop posting!! Or go to the Lehigh site so we don't have to wade through your negativity...

Lafayette wins by 6, in OT, bet the house!
LeopardAlum

Just hoping we can celebrate our 2 win season. Sad. Always next year
Jpao92

NE Leopard,

With all due respect, you are what your record says you are. 1-9 is as 1-9 does.  Now, I would love to see an upset but me being positive or negative ain't changing reality.  

What am I saying, you are right, we are gonna romp just, well, because.
flyfisher

To win we need several things. We need some early momentum. We need several turnovers. We need some players to return. And we need a great o-line performance. Some good blitzes and a little pressure on their QB would not hurt either.
Jpao92

Some early stops may throw Lehigh off.  They don't have a ton of faith in their D over there.  They are relying on their O putting up numbers like they did at Gate.   Shake that plan up a bit early on and who knows.
LeopardBall10

flyfisher wrote:
To win we need several things. We need some early momentum. We need several turnovers. We need some players to return. And we need a great o-line performance. Some good blitzes and a little pressure on their QB would not hurt either.


I honestly can't believe that Coen is going back to Shaf at QB. The frosh QB and RB tandem had been looking really good. and I don't think I have seen a QB disintegrate worse than Shafinsky has in the last two Rivalry games. Unless he doesn't think the Freshman will be able to win the job in camp next year I think that is a bad call.
Andy

Coen could do anything at QB, after all he benched a kid who had basically saved his job a few years ago. But, despite that history I expect him to give Shaf a shot at redemption.  He did a good job last week except for the last series. Gate gave him time to throw.  If we choose a blitzing strategy, better contain cause he'll burn us with his running ability.  

I take the same approach as FTanks:  can't predict a Pard win but wouldn't be surprised if it happened.  Much of the defensive embarrassment this season came with young DBs who seemed to have no clue. This DB group taking the field should be much improved with vets Smalley, JR, Parham, and very good frosh Powe. Key, IMO, is pressure. Recall the success vs the spread that Loose had with blitzing scheme. Wondered why he abandoned it in later years. Personnel based decision I guess.

I'd really like to see the kids get a win this week for each other. Looking for D Brown to have a big day.  Hey, we have a good young RB, too!
LeopardBall10

Andy wrote:
Recall the success vs the spread that Loose had with blitzing scheme. Wondered why he abandoned it in later years. Personnel based decision I guess.


I agree, would love to see the boys at least competitive this week. And I do expect a closer game.

And to your points about pressure, yes part of Loose's decision was personnel based, especially during the injury plagued, 2 win 2011 season. But more than that was a shift in offensive scheme that really made the old school 4-3 zone blitz defense ineffective. Prior to 2010 most "spread" offenses still only used 3 WR on most downs, and almost never went empty. Pass plays were usually run from 5 to 7 step drops. Teams still huddled and ran about 60 plays a game. This allowed Loose's defense to hold disguises which confused QBs and forced them to hold the ball longer. Couple that with a deeper drop and the DL and LBs had more time to get to the QB.

Since then modern day spread offenses will use 4 WR regularly or utilize big, athletic TEs as a WR. This creates strain on the hodge podge coverage required behind a 4-3 zone blitz and causes terrible matchup problems when a MLB or DE have to run with a WR in the slot on the back side. You also have teams running 80-100 plays as they speed up tempo, so the D can no longer hold the disguises, then end up lining up in the blitz tipping it off. They also can not effectively use the sub packages that Loose relied so heavily on. These were the biggest reasons that Loose changed his entire philosophy and moved to a version of the 3-4 the season ot two before he left. From what I understand, Link's philosophies are designed to match up much better but I don't have near the intimate knowledge of that system to break it down with any confidence.
yesrep

Andy, Powe will be strike, Bencsko will be FS .
Pards Rule

THE HURT!!! 10 years ago today!!!
Andy

yesrep wrote:
Andy, Powe will be strike, Bencsko will be FS .


Thanks, sounds good. Game notes has it the other way.
Andy

LeopardBall10 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Recall the success vs the spread that Loose had with blitzing scheme. Wondered why he abandoned it in later years. Personnel based decision I guess.


I agree, would love to see the boys at least competitive this week. And I do expect a closer game.

And to your points about pressure, yes part of Loose's decision was personnel based, especially during the injury plagued, 2 win 2011 season. But more than that was a shift in offensive scheme that really made the old school 4-3 zone blitz defense ineffective. Prior to 2010 most "spread" offenses still only used 3 WR on most downs, and almost never went empty. Pass plays were usually run from 5 to 7 step drops. Teams still huddled and ran about 60 plays a game. This allowed Loose's defense to hold disguises which confused QBs and forced them to hold the ball longer. Couple that with a deeper drop and the DL and LBs had more time to get to the QB.

Since then modern day spread offenses will use 4 WR regularly or utilize big, athletic TEs as a WR. This creates strain on the hodge podge coverage required behind a 4-3 zone blitz and causes terrible matchup problems when a MLB or DE have to run with a WR in the slot on the back side. You also have teams running 80-100 plays as they speed up tempo, so the D can no longer hold the disguises, then end up lining up in the blitz tipping it off. They also can not effectively use the sub packages that Loose relied so heavily on. These were the biggest reasons that Loose changed his entire philosophy and moved to a version of the 3-4 the season ot two before he left. From what I understand, Link's philosophies are designed to match up much better but I don't have near the intimate knowledge of that system to break it down with any confidence.


Good explanation, thanks!  Remember, too, how coach used to go with the 3-4 to stop Bucknell's wishbone.
LeopardBall10

Andy wrote:
Good explanation, thanks!  Remember, too, how coach used to go with the 3-4 to stop Bucknell's wishbone.


Yes, he actually has an entire DVD series released in coaching circles that is still used by a lot of coaches today. The theory is that the 3-4 clears up reads and dictates the option. Loose also utilized a 3-4 "Okie" sub package for all 3 and long situations. Once he realized he could never get his sub package on in time, or they would get stuck on the field after a first down completion with the offense going fast he changed his philosophy to utilize the 3-4 full time.
Franks Tanks

LeopardBall10 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Good explanation, thanks!  Remember, too, how coach used to go with the 3-4 to stop Bucknell's wishbone.


Yes, he actually has an entire DVD series released in coaching circles that is still used by a lot of coaches today. The theory is that the 3-4 clears up reads and dictates the option. Loose also utilized a 3-4 "Okie" sub package for all 3 and long situations. Once he realized he could never get his sub package on in time, or they would get stuck on the field after a first down completion with the offense going fast he changed his philosophy to utilize the 3-4 full time.


Loose completely shut down those Bucknell option teams.  Yes, they weren't all that talented in that era, but the Bison really had no chance against us for several years there because John had their offense completely figured out.  Army will need every ounce of John's expertise when they play Navy in a few weeks.
bethlehempard

If any fans are wandering around downtown Bethlehem before or after the game, don't miss (if it's not being used) the Hotel Bethlehem's Lafayette Room on the mezzanine level. There are pictures and items from the glorious 1920s era of Lafayette football.
Two tickets still available. Send pm if needed.
Pards Rule

LeopardBall10 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Good explanation, thanks!  Remember, too, how coach used to go with the 3-4 to stop Bucknell's wishbone.


Yes, he actually has an entire DVD series released in coaching circles that is still used by a lot of coaches today. The theory is that the 3-4 clears up reads and dictates the option. Loose also utilized a 3-4 "Okie" sub package for all 3 and long situations. Once he realized he could never get his sub package on in time, or they would get stuck on the field after a first down completion with the offense going fast he changed his philosophy to utilize the 3-4 full time.


Remember whats amazing about this guy is he never played HS or college football too! He was a track and field person!
edge29

I'll give a score for s***s and giggles but don't hold me to it! Smile

I think we have a legit shot to win this.  

1 - Lehigh's defense is terrible...really bad.  We all know this.  But just looking to the Colgate games, they gave up a 140 more yards than we did against a team we are notoriously bad against.  And, they're not getting any players back from injury (like we are) who can help turn around their terrible defense.

2 - Pressure - All the pressure is on them.  I don't care if they say there's no pressure because of the lack of league title implications.  They're coming off a heart breaking loss AND playing an improving team whom they've loss 2 in a row to.  They're scared to death!

What we need to do:

1 - Run the ball better.  I'd like to see West get some carries.  There's something about him.  His ability to get through holes quickly.  That being said I still like Brown.  

2 - Change up the offense - we're sooooo freakin' predictable!!  How about some downhill running plays??

3 - 3rd downs!!  Mike Joseph hit the nail on the head.  An improved running game should help this.  3rd and long in EVERY series doesn't help our 3rd down conversion rate.  

I hate to say it but when I saw Blake in the press conference I was hoping he was getting the start.  Drew is good for taking at least 2 sacks a game he shouldn't have.

31-28 win on a Bissell FG!  Go 'Pards!
LeopardBall10

edge29 wrote:
31-28 win on a Bissell FG!  Go 'Pards!


A mob complete with flaming torches and pitchforks would probably storm Coen's house if that happens

Andy

edge29 wrote:
31-28 win on a Bissell FG!.... but don't hold me to it! Smile
 Go 'Pards!


Oh no, my friend, we ARE holding you to it!  In fact, based on your excellent reputation, we are counting on it!  BEAT LEHIGH!!
Newleopardfan2

Andy wrote:
edge29 wrote:
31-28 win on a Bissell FG!.... but don't hold me to it! Smile
 Go 'Pards!


Oh no, my friend, we ARE holding you to it!  In fact, based on your excellent reputation, we are counting on it!  BEAT LEHIGH!!


Now, THAT's the spirit!

We can put aside all of the speculation about what this game "means" in the context of this season and the many seasons before it. We can put aside the "what ifs" and "if onlys", and the implications for the coaching staff. I hope we can put aside the acrimony borne from frustration that has troubled this board during this season. Just one more game left this season - the final career game for our seniors and perhaps a few others - and for that reason among so many others. it's the only one that counts.  GO PARDS.
bethlehempard

Nobody wants a loss. Some people want change.
Weird fact: Bissell is perfect on PATs. Good, that's 100 percent.
What's weird is that going into Game 11, he's only tried 13.  
That really brings home the problems in this program.
For some reason the game notes say he's 7 for 7.
The opposition is 43 for 43.
Lafayette has three rushing TDs, 10 receiving, none from special teams or defense.
It's staggering.
All we need is a miracle!
Go Pards!
SIDELINER

From today's Morning Call, the writers' picks.

Paul Reinhard:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...s-column-1120-20151120-story.html


Keith Grolller:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...-column-1120-20151120-column.html

And, from the E-T:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...that_scar.html#incart_river_index

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/l...y_lafayette_football_will_de.html
flyfisher

DiPietro back.
CHIP72

I'd be surprised if Lafayette lost by fewer than 2-3 touchdowns (or obviously wins) to be honest.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum