Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Recruiting Thread
PardDad71

Signees

Just went through the interview clips last night and this morning (thanks whoever posted those).

Overall I like what we have done, and I am assuming we pick up younger and douglass (Kerstetter would be nice too).

QB we definitely have added options.   Be interesting to see how the guys on the roster look at spring practice, and if any of the freshman can push them in August

OL we are finally 3 deep, I try to avoid negative comments with the old staff, but we were very thin on oline.   Like to see a couple of these guys get down under 300, but they all move well (OL is in my heart, so I went to their hudl tapes), so shedding a few should only make them more dangerous.   By end of season I think there are 2 who could be getting significant playing time

Love the additions of Revere and  Simpson.   See if it translates to college football but I think Simpson could be a beast.   Is Douglas a WR or a DB?

Guidice and Taggert are solid adds.  I love the upside Taggert has, and I think Guidice can make a difference right away

LBs Smith, Dickens, Jordan all nice adds.  Obviously if Jordan lives up to his resume he could be a great.

DBs I have loved Thrasher all along.  I like his speed, intuitition and he plays with an edge.  Murdock can move!  I assume younger will also be a DB, so even more speed.

I think we have added depth and toughness on OL, options at QB, and speed overall.   Great foundation.  Very exciting
BillS

Andy ....this might be interesting https://mobile.twitter.com/Akouyate10?p=s  coach Thompson and Abdoul seem to be following each other on twitter.
Andy

BillS wrote:
Andy ....this might be interesting https://mobile.twitter.com/Akouyate10?p=s  coach Thompson and Abdoul seem to be following each other on twitter.


Yeah, former Coach Dell recruit and other PL but this kid transferred from Hayes in the city to Joes Montvale then to Blair PG trying to up his level. OV to UCONN last weekend.  UCONN board is unsure of his status. Coach Thompson followed recently and wasnt followed back for a few days. Apparently did not sign anywhere, hopefully does not want to walkon anywhere. So who knows. Would be a nice addition.
PardDad71

What happened to Clennie Murphy?
LC Fan

Is there anyone better than Mike Joseph at helping us analyze our football players? It as a pleasure watching him and coach describe the talented recruits.
Andy

LC Fan wrote:
Is there anyone better than Mike Joseph at helping us analyze our football players? It as a pleasure watching him and coach describe the talented recruits.


Mike is awesome, does his homework on the kids, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. A real treasure for LC.

Dad - excellent post, will respond.  

Murphy is a Posse scholarship recipient so would not sign a NLI.  I'm not sure as to when schools can talk about walkons, or players such as Murphy. Maybe Tanks or RichH can explain.  Also, he prob fits the description of an unrecruited walk on and will not "count" against the 60 schol limit.  If there is evidence of an official visit then obviously this would not be the case.  There is also the possibility that he wont be playing here, just attending. He cared enough about football to post his hudl and attend a combine; however, I may have jumped to conclusion that he will play. He does "follow" Coach McFadden and Coach Nudel.

Our former DE Kyvory H. was also a Posse schol recipient.
PardDad71

Should have realized that with Murphy
Andy

Paul with Coach JG:

Additons coming:

How do you feel about a class of 17? – “That’s about right. And we have room to add some, so we feel good where we are.”

For the classes that are here, the current guys, and guys we’ve added and continue to add, we’ll have a really good shot to have a full roster.”

Mike J. in last night's half time interview hinted at additions but JG wouldn't touch it. This guy is conservative and by the book.  Cant talk about guys until officially signed.

A bit disappointed PR didn't ask about the transfer, maybe off limits per some regulation. IDK.

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...g-day-can-you-believe-7.html#more
Andy

Re: Signees

PardDad71 wrote:
Just went through the interview clips last night and this morning (thanks whoever posted those).

Overall I like what we have done, and I am assuming we pick up younger and douglass (Kerstetter would be nice too).

QB we definitely have added options.   Be interesting to see how the guys on the roster look at spring practice, and if any of the freshman can push them in August

OL we are finally 3 deep, I try to avoid negative comments with the old staff, but we were very thin on oline.   Like to see a couple of these guys get down under 300, but they all move well (OL is in my heart, so I went to their hudl tapes), so shedding a few should only make them more dangerous.   By end of season I think there are 2 who could be getting significant playing time

Love the additions of Revere and  Simpson.   See if it translates to college football but I think Simpson could be a beast.   Is Douglas a WR or a DB?

Guidice and Taggert are solid adds.  I love the upside Taggert has, and I think Guidice can make a difference right away

LBs Smith, Dickens, Jordan all nice adds.  Obviously if Jordan lives up to his resume he could be a great.

DBs I have loved Thrasher all along.  I like his speed, intuitition and he plays with an edge.  Murdock can move!  I assume younger will also be a DB, so even more speed.

I think we have added depth and toughness on OL, options at QB, and speed overall.   Great foundation.  Very exciting


I share your excitement, Dad.  

First off, I'm so impressed with Coach JG and his staff. They really hit the ground running. The "high energy" talk is not just talk.  With their knowledge, enthusiasm, recruiting ability,and 15 full (which sadly Tavani wasn't given) I have no doubt "The New Era" will include competing for championships sooner than later.  

Coach gave some insight into his thinking upon arrival. He wasn't going to back off any commitments made by prior staff regardless of quality.  "I have to go into these high schools for the next 20 years."  So, initially that didn't give the impression that he was high on the inherited 8. But, then he talked about them individually, about how he evaluated them, and he sounded genuinely impressed - recall positive comments  on Cole, big John, Hampton and Barclay, Jordan, Thrasher, Revere and Jake.  Nice!

The progress beyond the 8 has been remarkable.  We know little about how he acquired the transfer, but that was certainly an early statement that JG meant business.  Dickens and Pyne were 2* types, talented and well known. Those are impressive gets!  Dickens is a great example of what happens when a SA gets a close look at LC. A lot of kids just don't know about "the small school with big school resources." Or whatever that slogan is.  Then there were the signings of the guys who might be considered "sleepers." JJ and Selwyn. (Douglas & Scott) There wasn't apparently a lot of recruiting interest in these guys, but JG knew what he had there. Impressive to find those guys!  Douglas and or Scott would be super additions based solely on their hudls.  How LC will handle the announcement is questionable. I guess we should look for a release when all are finalized, not piecemeal or just added to the roster.  Then there was the big QB. What a last minute surprise!  This kid would've been the prize recruit in previous classes.  Except in the case of landing a transfer, this group of 3 QBs added to the mix is as good as we could've expected IMO. What's not to like?  And I'm really looking forward to what this staff can put together with a full cycle.

Additions - WR, DB, maybe DL.  Douglas will be a help at either S or WR. I'm thinking CB for JJ just because JG is aware of the depth already at the RB position, but who knows.
Zeus

Guidice was Phil's find.
Andy

Zeus wrote:
Guidice was Phil's find.


Thanks. Nice job Coach Phil! (those Cuse ties!)  (I've expressed my opinion that once FT gave Phil the coordinator position, things were on the up swing) But he had apparently verballed to FU, so credit, too, to JG. (without knowing anything further).

The idiocy, incompetence, whatever, of our "leadership" having FT and staff go to battle with 13.5 really makes my blood boil. But, I better be quiet.
PardDad71

One fact I missed the first time was Burk evidently has an uncle or something that played for Lafayette.   Tommy someone?    Anyone know who this is?
Bogus Megapardus

Watch Aichholz's footwork. His left foot (he's left-handed) doesn't leave the turf after his release - and he appears to be very conscious of maintaining that. Somebody's been coaching him up.

Either that, or he's a lacrosse player in the off-season. Wink
PardDad71

PardDad71 wrote:
One fact I missed the first time was Burk evidently has an uncle or something that played for Lafayette.   Tommy someone?    Anyone know who this is?



Guess I need to be more thorough.   In the Bio.   Thomas Unger LC '68
Lafalum

PardDad71 wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
One fact I missed the first time was Burk evidently has an uncle or something that played for Lafayette.   Tommy someone?    Anyone know who this is?



Guess I need to be more thorough.   In the Bio.   Thomas Unger LC '68

Unger was a tackle and class of 67 and had died recently in an accident on his property after a storm.
SixtyEighter

Tom Unger was erroneously listed in the press release as being in my class. I checked the Directory and found him in the class of 1967. There was no entry for him in the 2014 Directory which is explained by his death.He is listed in the overall listing at the end of the book asdeceased  I didn't know him but he was a DU.He is listed in the 2009 Directory as living in Northampton, PA. He was a Chem. E. major with an MBA from Rutgers.
edge29

Re: Signees

Andy wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
Just went through the interview clips last night and this morning (thanks whoever posted those).

Overall I like what we have done, and I am assuming we pick up younger and douglass (Kerstetter would be nice too).

QB we definitely have added options.   Be interesting to see how the guys on the roster look at spring practice, and if any of the freshman can push them in August

OL we are finally 3 deep, I try to avoid negative comments with the old staff, but we were very thin on oline.   Like to see a couple of these guys get down under 300, but they all move well (OL is in my heart, so I went to their hudl tapes), so shedding a few should only make them more dangerous.   By end of season I think there are 2 who could be getting significant playing time

Love the additions of Revere and  Simpson.   See if it translates to college football but I think Simpson could be a beast.   Is Douglas a WR or a DB?

Guidice and Taggert are solid adds.  I love the upside Taggert has, and I think Guidice can make a difference right away

LBs Smith, Dickens, Jordan all nice adds.  Obviously if Jordan lives up to his resume he could be a great.

DBs I have loved Thrasher all along.  I like his speed, intuitition and he plays with an edge.  Murdock can move!  I assume younger will also be a DB, so even more speed.

I think we have added depth and toughness on OL, options at QB, and speed overall.   Great foundation.  Very exciting


I share your excitement, Dad.  

First off, I'm so impressed with Coach JG and his staff. They really hit the ground running. The "high energy" talk is not just talk.  With their knowledge, enthusiasm, recruiting ability,and 15 full (which sadly Tavani wasn't given) I have no doubt "The New Era" will include competing for championships sooner than later.  

Coach gave some insight into his thinking upon arrival. He wasn't going to back off any commitments made by prior staff regardless of quality.  "I have to go into these high schools for the next 20 years."  So, initially that didn't give the impression that he was high on the inherited 8. But, then he talked about them individually, about how he evaluated them, and he sounded genuinely impressed - recall positive comments  on Cole, big John, Hampton and Barclay, Jordan, Thrasher, Revere and Jake.  Nice!

The progress beyond the 8 has been remarkable.  We know little about how he acquired the transfer, but that was certainly an early statement that JG meant business.  Dickens and Pyne were 2* types, talented and well known. Those are impressive gets!  Dickens is a great example of what happens when a SA gets a close look at LC. A lot of kids just don't know about "the small school with big school resources." Or whatever that slogan is.  Then there were the signings of the guys who might be considered "sleepers." JJ and Selwyn. (Douglas & Scott) There wasn't apparently a lot of recruiting interest in these guys, but JG knew what he had there. Impressive to find those guys!  Douglas and or Scott would be super additions based solely on their hudls.  How LC will handle the announcement is questionable. I guess we should look for a release when all are finalized, not piecemeal or just added to the roster.  Then there was the big QB. What a last minute surprise!  This kid would've been the prize recruit in previous classes.  Except in the case of landing a transfer, this group of 3 QBs added to the mix is as good as we could've expected IMO. What's not to like?  And I'm really looking forward to what this staff can put together with a full cycle.

Additions - WR, DB, maybe DL.  Douglas will be a help at either S or WR. I'm thinking CB for JJ just because JG is aware of the depth already at the RB position, but who knows.


JG and staff did an excellent job given amount of time they've been on campus. Take a look at the roster by position.  We now have depth (and talent) at every position.  LB and OL was a worry. Not anymore!!  DB depth was a worry but Powe now moves back to the secondary. Would love to have Kaizer but Paul was unclear on his status. Interior DL could use an extra body...boom!  We got one. A good one who will be ready to play!
6/7 Qbs doesn't seem to make sense given the small roster.  JG and Bartel will find or make a star out of McCrum, Cole, or Reed.  Looking forward to reports from spring practice!!
PardDad71

I usually don't get too excited about spring football........gotta say, I might have to make a couple practices
bethlehempard

Thomas Unger died in 2012 in a tractor accident. He was clearing debris from the family farm in Northampton after Hurricane Sandy. He was 67.
SixtyEighter

My cousin played football at Harvard and we have discussed  his experiences a lot. He was a starting defensive tackle in the 29-29 tie Harvard-Yale game in which Calvin Hill, Brian Dowling and other notables played. He told me that Harvard recruited numerous quarterbacks with the theory being that quarterbacks are usually good athletes and those who don't end up playing QB can be utilized at other positions.Bill Russo followed that model as well.With the size and athleticism of the QB's recruited by our new staff at least one could be converted to TE another possibly to WR or safety.Jim Kelly left Penn State for Miami because Joe Paterno wanted him to play LB.
edge29

Dickens interview...

https://youtu.be/GoTVApfK1YM
Pardsfriend

Re: Signees

edge29 wrote:
Andy wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
Just went through the interview clips last night and this morning (thanks whoever posted those).

Overall I like what we have done, and I am assuming we pick up younger and douglass (Kerstetter would be nice too).

QB we definitely have added options.   Be interesting to see how the guys on the roster look at spring practice, and if any of the freshman can push them in August

OL we are finally 3 deep, I try to avoid negative comments with the old staff, but we were very thin on oline.   Like to see a couple of these guys get down under 300, but they all move well (OL is in my heart, so I went to their hudl tapes), so shedding a few should only make them more dangerous.   By end of season I think there are 2 who could be getting significant playing time

Love the additions of Revere and  Simpson.   See if it translates to college football but I think Simpson could be a beast.   Is Douglas a WR or a DB?

Guidice and Taggert are solid adds.  I love the upside Taggert has, and I think Guidice can make a difference right away

LBs Smith, Dickens, Jordan all nice adds.  Obviously if Jordan lives up to his resume he could be a great.

DBs I have loved Thrasher all along.  I like his speed, intuitition and he plays with an edge.  Murdock can move!  I assume younger will also be a DB, so even more speed.

I think we have added depth and toughness on OL, options at QB, and speed overall.   Great foundation.  Very exciting


I share your excitement, Dad.  

First off, I'm so impressed with Coach JG and his staff. They really hit the ground running. The "high energy" talk is not just talk.  With their knowledge, enthusiasm, recruiting ability,and 15 full (which sadly Tavani wasn't given) I have no doubt "The New Era" will include competing for championships sooner than later.  

Coach gave some insight into his thinking upon arrival. He wasn't going to back off any commitments made by prior staff regardless of quality.  "I have to go into these high schools for the next 20 years."  So, initially that didn't give the impression that he was high on the inherited 8. But, then he talked about them individually, about how he evaluated them, and he sounded genuinely impressed - recall positive comments  on Cole, big John, Hampton and Barclay, Jordan, Thrasher, Revere and Jake.  Nice!

The progress beyond the 8 has been remarkable.  We know little about how he acquired the transfer, but that was certainly an early statement that JG meant business.  Dickens and Pyne were 2* types, talented and well known. Those are impressive gets!  Dickens is a great example of what happens when a SA gets a close look at LC. A lot of kids just don't know about "the small school with big school resources." Or whatever that slogan is.  Then there were the signings of the guys who might be considered "sleepers." JJ and Selwyn. (Douglas & Scott) There wasn't apparently a lot of recruiting interest in these guys, but JG knew what he had there. Impressive to find those guys!  Douglas and or Scott would be super additions based solely on their hudls.  How LC will handle the announcement is questionable. I guess we should look for a release when all are finalized, not piecemeal or just added to the roster.  Then there was the big QB. What a last minute surprise!  This kid would've been the prize recruit in previous classes.  Except in the case of landing a transfer, this group of 3 QBs added to the mix is as good as we could've expected IMO. What's not to like?  And I'm really looking forward to what this staff can put together with a full cycle.

Additions - WR, DB, maybe DL.  Douglas will be a help at either S or WR. I'm thinking CB for JJ just because JG is aware of the depth already at the RB position, but who knows.


JG and staff did an excellent job given amount of time they've been on campus. Take a look at the roster by position.  We now have depth (and talent) at every position.  LB and OL was a worry. Not anymore!!  DB depth was a worry but Powe now moves back to the secondary. Would love to have Kaizer but Paul was unclear on his status. Interior DL could use an extra body...boom!  We got one. A good one who will be ready to play!
6/7 Qbs doesn't seem to make sense given the small roster.  JG and Bartel will find or make a star out of McCrum, Cole, or Reed.  Looking forward to reports from spring practice!!


 My first review of most of our recruits is centered on who is equipped to immediately contribute on the field as a a true freshman.  Two players have skills which separate them and give each an opportunity to compete right away.  I expect Hampton to compete immediately on either side of the line, but more likely on OL.  Has very good footwork, and reaches the second level to block, which is extremely important in college.  And remember, he played at St. Joe's Philly, which plays a highly competitive schedule.

 The other player who separates himself from others in my view is Mussina.  Our qb has to lead, have great footwork, and throw the ball into narrow alleys to be effective.  He moves within the pocket very well, is mobile for a tall kid, and throws very accurately.  Having observed Coach Garretts qb at Richmond, his qb must be capable of making difficult throws and be mobile, simultaneously.

 That said, I look forward to all of these kids, plus additions,contributing to the program and am optimistic for their success.
PardDad71

Coach put it best, it will depend on who comes to compete, who can be coached, who can be dependable.
Kpard

Re: Signees

Pardsfriend wrote:
edge29 wrote:
Andy wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
Just went through the interview clips last night and this morning (thanks whoever posted those).

Overall I like what we have done, and I am assuming we pick up younger and douglass (Kerstetter would be nice too).

QB we definitely have added options.   Be interesting to see how the guys on the roster look at spring practice, and if any of the freshman can push them in August

OL we are finally 3 deep, I try to avoid negative comments with the old staff, but we were very thin on oline.   Like to see a couple of these guys get down under 300, but they all move well (OL is in my heart, so I went to their hudl tapes), so shedding a few should only make them more dangerous.   By end of season I think there are 2 who could be getting significant playing time

Love the additions of Revere and  Simpson.   See if it translates to college football but I think Simpson could be a beast.   Is Douglas a WR or a DB?

Guidice and Taggert are solid adds.  I love the upside Taggert has, and I think Guidice can make a difference right away

LBs Smith, Dickens, Jordan all nice adds.  Obviously if Jordan lives up to his resume he could be a great.

DBs I have loved Thrasher all along.  I like his speed, intuitition and he plays with an edge.  Murdock can move!  I assume younger will also be a DB, so even more speed.

I think we have added depth and toughness on OL, options at QB, and speed overall.   Great foundation.  Very exciting


I share your excitement, Dad.  

First off, I'm so impressed with Coach JG and his staff. They really hit the ground running. The "high energy" talk is not just talk.  With their knowledge, enthusiasm, recruiting ability,and 15 full (which sadly Tavani wasn't given) I have no doubt "The New Era" will include competing for championships sooner than later.  

Coach gave some insight into his thinking upon arrival. He wasn't going to back off any commitments made by prior staff regardless of quality.  "I have to go into these high schools for the next 20 years."  So, initially that didn't give the impression that he was high on the inherited 8. But, then he talked about them individually, about how he evaluated them, and he sounded genuinely impressed - recall positive comments  on Cole, big John, Hampton and Barclay, Jordan, Thrasher, Revere and Jake.  Nice!

The progress beyond the 8 has been remarkable.  We know little about how he acquired the transfer, but that was certainly an early statement that JG meant business.  Dickens and Pyne were 2* types, talented and well known. Those are impressive gets!  Dickens is a great example of what happens when a SA gets a close look at LC. A lot of kids just don't know about "the small school with big school resources." Or whatever that slogan is.  Then there were the signings of the guys who might be considered "sleepers." JJ and Selwyn. (Douglas & Scott) There wasn't apparently a lot of recruiting interest in these guys, but JG knew what he had there. Impressive to find those guys!  Douglas and or Scott would be super additions based solely on their hudls.  How LC will handle the announcement is questionable. I guess we should look for a release when all are finalized, not piecemeal or just added to the roster.  Then there was the big QB. What a last minute surprise!  This kid would've been the prize recruit in previous classes.  Except in the case of landing a transfer, this group of 3 QBs added to the mix is as good as we could've expected IMO. What's not to like?  And I'm really looking forward to what this staff can put together with a full cycle.

Additions - WR, DB, maybe DL.  Douglas will be a help at either S or WR. I'm thinking CB for JJ just because JG is aware of the depth already at the RB position, but who knows.


JG and staff did an excellent job given amount of time they've been on campus. Take a look at the roster by position.  We now have depth (and talent) at every position.  LB and OL was a worry. Not anymore!!  DB depth was a worry but Powe now moves back to the secondary. Would love to have Kaizer but Paul was unclear on his status. Interior DL could use an extra body...boom!  We got one. A good one who will be ready to play!
6/7 Qbs doesn't seem to make sense given the small roster.  JG and Bartel will find or make a star out of McCrum, Cole, or Reed.  Looking forward to reports from spring practice!!


 My first review of most of our recruits is centered on who is equipped to immediately contribute on the field as a a true freshman.  Two players have skills which separate them and give each an opportunity to compete right away.  I expect Hampton to compete immediately on either side of the line, but more likely on OL.  Has very good footwork, and reaches the second level to block, which is extremely important in college.  And remember, he played at St. Joe's Philly, which plays a highly competitive schedule.

 The other player who separates himself from others in my view is Mussina.  Our qb has to lead, have great footwork, and throw the ball into narrow alleys to be effective.  He moves within the pocket very well, is mobile for a tall kid, and throws very accurately.  Having observed Coach Garretts qb at Richmond, his qb must be capable of making difficult throws and be mobile, simultaneously.

 That said, I look forward to all of these kids, plus additions,contributing to the program and am optimistic for their success.



I'm so looking forward to something different. Not the same old, same old we have seen for years and years. Same schemes. Same predictable plays that don't work. Same lousy Oline play and techniques. Same abundance of injuries and especially the same lack of player development.

LET'S GO!!!
Andy

Re: Signees

Pardsfriend wrote:

My first review of most of our recruits is centered on who is equipped to immediately contribute on the field as a a true freshman.  Two players have skills which separate them and give each an opportunity to compete right away.  I expect Hampton to compete immediately on either side of the line, but more likely on OL.  Has very good footwork, and reaches the second level to block, which is extremely important in college.  And remember, he played at St. Joe's Philly, which plays a highly competitive schedule.

 The other player who separates himself from others in my view is Mussina.  Our qb has to lead, have great footwork, and throw the ball into narrow alleys to be effective.  He moves within the pocket very well, is mobile for a tall kid, and throws very accurately.  Having observed Coach Garretts qb at Richmond, his qb must be capable of making difficult throws and be mobile, simultaneously.

 That said, I look forward to all of these kids, plus additions,contributing to the program and am optimistic for their success.


Edge, thanks for Dickens interview. Great kid, so glad he's with us!

Interesting take pfriend, not exactly what I was thinking but you support your conclusions well. Mussina has surely benefitted from JG's camp.  May give him an edge.  Hope you and the newer posters are frequent contributors to the board.

Now that the admissions guy's interview is audible, I'm not as optimistic regarding our 2 guys who are hanging out. The first part of his spiel seems to be almost an explanation if not an apology for why we don't see  all 19 of our verbally committed.  I certainly could be misapplying - "we do our best to be as supportive as we can BUT..." to our specific situation.  It would be a shame and torture for the kids to come so close, especially JJ having gone through a signing day ceremony. They may have been victimized by the short time span the new staff had to work with which may not have given enough time for a proper vetting of credentials. How does coach know when handing out offers and accepting commitments who fits in what "band?"  I just don't know enough about how the numbers get crunched and who does the crunching in regards to the PL "bands" system. Unfortunately this type of thing ("signing" then no show) has happened at least once in the past that I can recall. I continue to hold out hope for these talented SAs.
Andy

PardDad71 wrote:
I usually don't get too excited about spring football........gotta say, I might have to make a couple practices


Getting a look at JG's new offense and Coach Thompson's D should be worth the trip down. The make up of the OL should be a point of interest. Everybody starts out fresh. Great opportunity for all the kids.  This fall camp will be so highly anticipated, I may not be able to stand it. Ha!
BillS

Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
Andy ....this might be interesting https://mobile.twitter.com/Akouyate10?p=s  coach Thompson and Abdoul seem to be following each other on twitter.


Yeah, former Coach Dell recruit and other PL but this kid transferred from Hayes in the city to Joes Montvale then to Blair PG trying to up his level. OV to UCONN last weekend.  UCONN board is unsure of his status. Coach Thompson followed recently and wasnt followed back for a few days. Apparently did not sign anywhere, hopefully does not want to walkon anywhere. So who knows. Would be a nice addition.
ugh losing a 3 star recruit to a league rival because our program isn't funded as well is unacceptable. https://mobile.twitter.com/Saylor...status/827691123187544064/photo/1
SIDELINER

Coach Tavani and his staff dealt with that issue for years, and if you thought that would go away with the naming of a new coach, maybe you have to think again. Don't forget that president Byerly was quoted as saying that the new athletics department study would not produce more money for athletics.

Also, note the shuffling of coaching duties after Ian Dell's departure. The new hire, a part-time former grad assistant, gets the linebackers while Luke Thompson is now defensive coordinator-defensive line coach.

And a story in today's Morning Call finally made it official that LU OC has left for Elon (old news, really) but that the DC has been changed and former Leopard Joe Bottiglieri is now a "senior advisor", whatever that means.
Franks Tanks

BillS wrote:
Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
Andy ....this might be interesting https://mobile.twitter.com/Akouyate10?p=s  coach Thompson and Abdoul seem to be following each other on twitter.


Yeah, former Coach Dell recruit and other PL but this kid transferred from Hayes in the city to Joes Montvale then to Blair PG trying to up his level. OV to UCONN last weekend.  UCONN board is unsure of his status. Coach Thompson followed recently and wasnt followed back for a few days. Apparently did not sign anywhere, hopefully does not want to walkon anywhere. So who knows. Would be a nice addition.
ugh losing a 3 star recruit to a league rival because our program isn't funded as well is unacceptable. https://mobile.twitter.com/Saylor...status/827691123187544064/photo/1


Are we just assuming we had no money left?  It seems like we didn't have a ton of momentum with this young man, and perhaps he just preferred Colgate.  We still may have one or two kids to be announced.  I hope.
seenalot

Not sure he's committed anywhere as Twitter account notes an offer from HC after the Gate tweets.  Staff in very tough spot this year in terms of time.  While this kid would be a nice add, we have some talent at DL as is.
Andy

BillS wrote:
Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
Andy ....this might be interesting https://mobile.twitter.com/Akouyate10?p=s  coach Thompson and Abdoul seem to be following each other on twitter.


Yeah, former Coach Dell recruit and other PL but this kid transferred from Hayes in the city to Joes Montvale then to Blair PG trying to up his level. OV to UCONN last weekend.  UCONN board is unsure of his status. Coach Thompson followed recently and wasnt followed back for a few days. Apparently did not sign anywhere, hopefully does not want to walkon anywhere. So who knows. Would be a nice addition.
ugh losing a 3 star recruit to a league rival because our program isn't funded as well is unacceptable. https://mobile.twitter.com/Saylor...status/827691123187544064/photo/1


That's brutal. The kind of late signing I was hoping for. Gate may have had a late defection so money was available. Last year they got stud Daramy late, too. Watch Fordham get Dare, the transfer from UCONN...   Bill - wait till next year and a full cycle for these worker bee coaches JG brought in. These guys are awesome.  LC is back!
Andy

If you're into stars:

Giudice - 3* 247 composite

Pyne -     2* 247 composite

Dickens - 2* 247 composite

Jordan -  2* 247 composite

Harvin -  2* 247 (no composite) 2* scout

Northrup - 2* scout

Some looks at Burk:

"They're all very similar," said McCarthy, the author of the McCarthy Report, an annual recruiting guide for college scouts. "They play offense and defense, and they play hard."

Burk (6-5, 300), a two-way tackle, is a leader of the Red Hawks, which captured one of their biggest wins in many years, beating Mountain Lakes on opening might.

"He's quite agile for a big man," McCarthy said. "He's nasty, which is what I like best. I'd have him as my defensive tackle, but that's just me. He's a 4.0 student, a definite major-college player."////

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/...day-morning-quarterback/90203500/

John Burk was one of the most intriguing prospects at the camp. He has an ideal build for an offensive guard, but started off playing defensive tackle. Burk’s results in the one-on-one session on the defensive line were mixed, but once he flipped over to the offensive line, he won the majority of his reps. His potential as an offensive lineman far exceeds his ceiling as a defensive lineman, but he is still raw. Burk will have to work on sliding laterally, but he is very strong, anchored well against bull rushes and has a punch that will stop defensive linemen in their tracks.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-recap-roman-s-soldiers-showcase

Aichholz:

Reed Aichholz, Indian Hill, QB – Lafayette College

Aichholz  was named the CHL Co-Offensive Player of the Year, first-team all-district, special mention all-state and an Enquirer Fall all-star in 2016. As a senior, Aichholz threw for 2,121 yards and 25 touchdowns and rushed for 492 yards and 14 touchdowns. He committed to Lafayette College out of the Patriot Leatue. He also held offers from schools like Easter Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, Brown, Dartmouth, Davidson, Indiana State and Richmond./////

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/s...8-top-football-recruits/80072400/

Aichholz profile/offers:

http://scoutingohio.com/index.php...e&Itemid=166&userid=12122
Andy

SIDELINER wrote:
Coach Tavani and his staff dealt with that issue for years, and if you thought that would go away with the naming of a new coach, maybe you have to think again. Don't forget that president Byerly was quoted as saying that the new athletics department study would not produce more money for athletics.


Didn't they just announce JG would have the full 15? Which is a step up from what Frank had to work with. Apparently the issue of Friends of Football funding having to be upfont has been resolved. You would know better than I, for sure.

What I would guess is a problem is not letting football go beyond 15 per year despite being below the 60 limit.  But, who knows?
Andy

Note on Kouyate's offer from Holy Cross:  HC suffered a total of 4 decommits. Some very late. They surely have money as a result.

With the results of JJ and Lavandis admission apparently still up in the air, presumably we have to hold on to whatever money they were offered, which I assume are full rides.
Franks Tanks

Again, not sure why we are assuming we didn't get someone due to lack of scholarships.  Neither the old or new staff seemed to have a great relationship with the young man.  I think it much more likely he just liked other schools better,rather than being snubbed by LC due to having less funding.
BillS

Andy wrote:
Note on Kouyate's offer from Holy Cross:  HC suffered a total of 4 decommits. Some very late. They surely have money as a result.

With the results of JJ and Lavandis admission apparently still up in the air, presumably we have to hold on to whatever money they were offered, which I assume are full rides.
It would be very disappointing to Coach Garrett and staff if admissions  denies our 2 other commitments.....We should be fully funded at 60 just like Gate!
SIDELINER

"There is no playing for the future."  That was a Garrett quote in the Reinhard blog. That sounds to me like he feels a sense of urgency. That could make practices interesting. If he can get players to buy into the urgency thing, it will be, for sure.

I heard something about a Title IX issue in the midst of the late recruiting push. That kind of thing can be ugly.
RichH

Thought LC hadvfixed their Title IX issues from start of schollie era. Noncompliance can get messy and expensive. Hope its just a reporting issue.
BillS

Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
Andy ....this might be interesting https://mobile.twitter.com/Akouyate10?p=s  coach Thompson and Abdoul seem to be following each other on twitter.


Yeah, former Coach Dell recruit and other PL but this kid transferred from Hayes in the city to Joes Montvale then to Blair PG trying to up his level. OV to UCONN last weekend.  UCONN board is unsure of his status. Coach Thompson followed recently and wasnt followed back for a few days. Apparently did not sign anywhere, hopefully does not want to walkon anywhere. So who knows. Would be a nice addition.
ugh losing a 3 star recruit to a league rival because our program isn't funded as well is unacceptable. https://mobile.twitter.com/Saylor...status/827691123187544064/photo/1


That's brutal. The kind of late signing I was hoping for. Gate may have had a late defection so money was available. Last year they got stud Daramy late, too. Watch Fordham get Dare, the transfer from UCONN...   Bill - wait till next year and a full cycle for these worker bee coaches JG brought in. These guys are awesome.  LC is back!
Major Jordan and Ryan Dinkens just started following Abdoul on Twitter so I would say there's some mutual interest OV - Offer who knows but it keeps me hopeful knowing this staff is working their butts off too be successful!
Andy

An aside - we have Army on the schedule in 2018.

Army signed 93 players.

Moncken is worried about depth in the secondary.

Rolling Eyes
BillS

Andy wrote:
An aside - we have Army on the schedule in 2018.

Army signed 93 players.

Moncken is worried about depth in the secondary.

Rolling Eyes
Yikes ...Maybe John Harrar will reconsider his commitment and switch  to us  Very Happy
Andy

BillS wrote:
Andy wrote:
An aside - we have Army on the schedule in 2018.

Army signed 93 players.

Moncken is worried about depth in the secondary.

Rolling Eyes
Yikes ...Maybe John Harrar will reconsider his commitment and switch  to us  Very Happy


You know me too well, pal!  Very Happy

Something up there, but he hasnt "opened the door" to the new followers.
Andy

As we await the fate of our 2 projected signees, the staff continues to recruit.  That would seem to indicate insurance for possible problems with the individuals involved rather than a Title 9 issue.  Unless they anticipate the Title 9 issue being resolved AND we have room for more.

Coach Gunn T. has also begun following a transfer QB. Who knows, just fun to follow along.  Again, fingers crossed for our pair of verbally committed.
SIDELINER

Andy wrote:
An aside - we have Army on the schedule in 2018.

Army signed 93 players.

Moncken is worried about depth in the secondary.

Rolling Eyes


If he signed 93, chances are 80 or more will be headed for the prep school first. Roster size a West Point in somewhere around 140. Lots of future officers.
Andy

SIDELINER wrote:
Andy wrote:
An aside - we have Army on the schedule in 2018.

Army signed 93 players.

Moncken is worried about depth in the secondary.

Rolling Eyes


If he signed 93, chances are 80 or more will be headed for the prep school first. Roster size a West Point in somewhere around 140. Lots of future officers.


Up to 95 now in this year's class. 58 freshmen on this year's roster, only 17 srs.  Bring a lot in and weed them out apparently. 74 signed in 2016.
Bogus Megapardus

Andy wrote:
As we await the fate of our 2 projected signees, the staff continues to recruit.  That would seem to indicate insurance for possible problems with the individuals involved rather than a Title 9 issue.  Unless they anticipate the Title 9 issue being resolved AND we have room for more.

Coach Gunn T. has also begun following a transfer QB. Who knows, just fun to follow along.  Again, fingers crossed for our pair of verbally committed.


The player initially was a transfer to Kansas U. from Dodge City CC where Coach Twyner came from. Now he is a "graduate transfer."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/...y-of-kansas/article130663279.html
Andy

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Andy wrote:
As we await the fate of our 2 projected signees, the staff continues to recruit.  That would seem to indicate insurance for possible problems with the individuals involved rather than a Title 9 issue.  Unless they anticipate the Title 9 issue being resolved AND we have room for more.

Coach Gunn T. has also begun following a transfer QB. Who knows, just fun to follow along.  Again, fingers crossed for our pair of verbally committed.


The player initially was a transfer to Kansas U. from Dodge City CC where Coach Twyner came from. Now he is a "graduate transfer."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/...y-of-kansas/article130663279.html


Kill joy.  You and your research skills.  Very Happy I guess I should've scratched the surface.
Andy

BillS wrote:
]Major Jordan and Ryan Dinkens just started following Abdoul on Twitter so I would say there's some mutual interest OV - Offer who knows but it keeps me hopeful knowing this staff is working their butts off too be successful!


A Colgate poster says Kouyate will visit LC. He either has inside info or he got it from your post, Bill. I'm hoping it's the former, fearing it's the latter.

247 sports with a 100% prediction (4 "experts") that Kouyate chooses Gate.

http://247sports.com/Player/Abdoul-Kouyate-78214
Bogus Megapardus

We must have hope, but I have to agree that 'Gate seems to have the inside edge on Kouyate. They've been after him and maybe we're late to the party. We can only pray that he's gobsmacked by the obvious superiority of College Hill!


EDIT - Kouyate now is following 'Gate, HC and Pard coaches on Twitter. Colgate TE coach has a Twitter picture exclaiming Colgate as Princeton Review's "most beautiful campus" for 2014-2015. Fake news.

  

Lafalum

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
We must have hope, but I have to agree that 'Gate seems to have the inside edge on Kouyate. They've been after him and maybe we're late to the party. We can only pray that he's gobsmacked by the obvious superiority of College Hill!


Hey times are a changing.....if I were a recruit and saw the pedigree of our coaching staff and our facilities, all things being equal I run not walk to College Hill and avoid the tundra of upstate New York.
BillS

Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
]Major Jordan and Ryan Dinkens just started following Abdoul on Twitter so I would say there's some mutual interest OV - Offer who knows but it keeps me hopeful knowing this staff is working their butts off too be successful!


A Colgate poster says Kouyate will visit LC. He either has inside info or he got it from your post, Bill. I'm hoping it's the former, fearing it's the latter.

247 sports with a 100% prediction (4 "experts") that Kouyate chooses Gate.

http://247sports.com/Player/Abdoul-Kouyate-78214
yep it looks like Gate to me also but you gotta love how hard this new Staff works!
Andy

New DL coach, Coach Hinds, as revealed by footballscoop, top of his "following" list - Abdoul Kouyate.  These guys dont miss a beat!  "It's a new era!"

https://www.facebook.com/LafayetteCollege.edu/posts/10155062974257780
Lafalum

I love the template this new coaching team brings to the athletic program, success will breed success.
edge29

Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
]Major Jordan and Ryan Dinkens just started following Abdoul on Twitter so I would say there's some mutual interest OV - Offer who knows but it keeps me hopeful knowing this staff is working their butts off too be successful!


A Colgate poster says Kouyate will visit LC. He either has inside info or he got it from your post, Bill. I'm hoping it's the former, fearing it's the latter.

247 sports with a 100% prediction (4 "experts") that Kouyate chooses Gate.

http://247sports.com/Player/Abdoul-Kouyate-78214


Per his coach @saylorblairfb   "AK heading to LC tomorrow for an official visit."

Fingers crossed again!!
BillS

edge29 wrote:
Andy wrote:
BillS wrote:
]Major Jordan and Ryan Dinkens just started following Abdoul on Twitter so I would say there's some mutual interest OV - Offer who knows but it keeps me hopeful knowing this staff is working their butts off too be successful!


A Colgate poster says Kouyate will visit LC. He either has inside info or he got it from your post, Bill. I'm hoping it's the former, fearing it's the latter.

247 sports with a 100% prediction (4 "experts") that Kouyate chooses Gate.

http://247sports.com/Player/Abdoul-Kouyate-78214


Per his coach @saylorblairfb   "AK heading to LC tomorrow for an official visit."

Fingers crossed again!!
That OV was yesterday hopefully it went well ...fingers crossed also!
Andy

Good work, guys!  Will see if an  offer announcement follows.  FU involved now, too.  What are the odds that Coach Hinds, too, is "high energy?" Wink  Love the urgency to get back to the top!

Fingers crossed, again - how about three 3 * on the DL?  All with at least 2 years eligibility!
Andy

Hero Sports: Today, we look at 25 incoming FCS quarterbacks we think will do well in their FCS careers.

NOTE: Quarterback rankings on the next page are based on a mixture of data including the 247Sports.com composite ranking, other recruiting services, the scholarship offers extended to the FCS prospects and also the opinions of HERO Sports' FCS recruiting analyst Brian McLaughlin.

Cole Northrup listed at #20:

http://herosports.com/news/fcs-fo...arterbacks-signees-fcs-recruiting


In this piece they ID Kerstetter as a TE who decommitted from LC to go to undetermined.

http://herosports.com/news/fcs-re...-decommitment-list-2017-prospects
Andy

Abdoul Kouyate's 247 page now reflects Feb 7 offers from LC and FU.
Andy

So, JJ will be at RB and KR.  Piece re Younger and Anthony Giudice:

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021517aae.html

Class of 19 is about where'd we like.
1990honda

I believe the roster is now 90 players. Is that the max?
SIDELINER

1990honda wrote:
I believe the roster is now 90 players. It's that the max?


90 is the max in the Patriot League. I'll be surprised if the number is 90 when summer camp begins. It'll take a trouble-free spring and perhaps a little luck to get there.

Spring game is April 22. Spring ball begins March 21. Garrett, Bartel and Thompson were at the men's basketball game last night. Because their families aren't here yet, they have been spending lots of time together. That could pay off when the real thing begins. Bonding time.
RichH

PL aoows 3 true WOs in addition to the 90. Applies to unrecruited players.
Andy

RichH wrote:
PL aoows 3 true WOs in addition to the 90. Applies to unrecruited players.


Rich, I was just researching this. Rules (2016 Manual) now contains this re the added 3, which seems to be an exception to the 60 total on aid:

Beginning with the class entering in the Fall of 2014, it is permissible for an
institution to have up to three (3) non-recruited students-athletes on their roster at
any one time who were admitted without regard to their athletics interest and do not
receive any athletic merit aid. Institutional financial aid awarded to those
individuals will not count toward the overall team equivalency for Patriot League
reporting. The athletic department compliance office must submit documentation
from the admissions and financial aid offices to the League office, verifying that
the student was not recruited for any sport and that their admission and financial
aid was not related to their athletic interests.////

However, the roster limit appears to remain at 90:

Roster Size [June 2012]
a.) The maximum team roster size for pre-season camp and the regular season
will be as follows:
i. 2013 season – 95 student-athletes
ii. 2014 & 2015 seasons – 92 student-athletes
iii. 2016 season – 90 student-athletes

So, basically I don't see in writing the increase to 93, just an increase to 63 equivalencies, with 3 being to non-recruited rostered players.   ????
RichH

That was the interpretaion that I was initially given when by law enacted. Agree tho as written seems only to apply to aid. .Oh well Smile
RichH

I do wonder why PL would bar true WOs at all. No extra cost above the 3 as others would have to be full pays. Admittedly not many of those around but everyone needs extra practice players.
SIDELINER

RichH wrote:
That was the interpretaion that I was initially given when by law enacted. Agree tho as written seems only to apply to aid. .Oh well Smile


Coaches have been saying that from the beginning. Presidents are having none of it. End of story, until they come to their senses.
Andy

How and why - Reed Aichholz (Thanks, Coach Nudel):

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/s...an-hill-near-final-game/98011756/

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Recruiting Thread
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum