Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
NE Leopard

Spring Football 2016

Today is the start of the Leopard's 2016 Season. A couple bits of information from Paul Reinhard

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com/2016_03_01_archive.html

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...g-drills-0321-20160328-story.html
Franks Tanks

Re: Spring Football 2016

NE Leopard wrote:
Today is the start of the Leopard's 2016 Season. A couple bits of information from Paul Reinhard

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com/2016_03_01_archive.html

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...g-drills-0321-20160328-story.html


Thanks, good  stuff.

Some big weight gains on kids like Bosh, Ramsey and Chuma.  Certainly a welcome sign for our beleaguered D-line.  CJ is listed as a RB per Paul R, which I thought he would be all along. I think he can be dynamic out of the backfield in certain situations.

Frangapane is listed above Cepeada Lavudev at DT, which was a bit surprising, but perhaps some injury issues there.  All 3 of our rising sophomore O-line guys are currently listed as starting.  Obviously very early, but those kids are pretty athletic, and I hope we continue to recruit and start better athletes on the OL (even if we must sacrifice size). Lots of potential in the defensive backfield, but we will need them to continue to develop and play together much better as a unit.
Andy

Ramsey at 275 is shocking.  Bosch has the pro DE body, he should be a star in this league.

Yeah, CJ is where we all thought he would be after watching his film during recruitment. Lot's of talent there with DeSean just a jr.  If the QB play improves the offense seems to have all the pieces.

Although NZat is off this semester he still makes the chart, which makes me worry about Mercado.  Court appearance was supposed to be March 3.

Thanks, PR:

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...ing-opener-was-non-stop.html#more
edge29

Andy wrote:
Ramsey at 275 is shocking.  Bosch has the pro DE body, he should be a star in this league.

Yeah, CJ is where we all thought he would be after watching his film during recruitment. Lot's of talent there with DeSean just a jr.  If the QB play improves the offense seems to have all the pieces.

Although NZat is off this semester he still makes the chart, which makes me worry about Mercado.  Court appearance was supposed to be March 3.

Thanks, PR:

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...ing-opener-was-non-stop.html#more


You forgot scary Andy. Ramsey and Bosch as book ends is exciting!  Hopefully our D will live up to its preseason hype this year.

I'm not a big fan of CJ at Tb.  Or course he is great at the position. He's a playmaker and will make them wherever they put him.  However I think this is over correction here.  We need him on the outside stretching the field. We don't have anyone right now in the slot that scares the other team. Brown and West (who I really like) can more than get the job done in the backfield. especially with an improved OL.
Franks Tanks

edge29 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Ramsey at 275 is shocking.  Bosch has the pro DE body, he should be a star in this league.

Yeah, CJ is where we all thought he would be after watching his film during recruitment. Lot's of talent there with DeSean just a jr.  If the QB play improves the offense seems to have all the pieces.

Although NZat is off this semester he still makes the chart, which makes me worry about Mercado.  Court appearance was supposed to be March 3.

Thanks, PR:

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blog...ing-opener-was-non-stop.html#more


You forgot scary Andy. Ramsey and Bosch as book ends is exciting!  Hopefully our D will live up to its preseason hype this year.

I'm not a big fan of CJ at Tb.  Or course he is great at the position. He's a playmaker and will make them wherever they put him.  However I think this is over correction here.  We need him on the outside stretching the field. We don't have anyone right now in the slot that scares the other team. Brown and West (who I really like) can more than get the job done in the backfield. especially with an improved OL.

Hopefully we wil use CJ in many ways, be it out of the backfield or in the slot.  He can do both, and bottom line it would be great to get him the ball 8 to 12 times a game.  Agree that Brown is a solid runner who can get tough yards, but not as much of a big play threat.  Hopefully Mickey and Stan can figure this out, and we have enough talent at WR and RB to be dangerous.
Zeus

It is very refreshing to see FOOTBALL PLAYERS on the FOOTBALL FIELD.
BillS

Zeus wrote:
It is very refreshing to see FOOTBALL PLAYERS on the FOOTBALL FIELD.
hopefully this season the football team is more interesting to watch than the cheerleaders😊
SIDELINER

BillS wrote:
Zeus wrote:
It is very refreshing to see FOOTBALL PLAYERS on the FOOTBALL FIELD.
hopefully this season the football team is more interesting to watch than the cheerleaders😊


Maybe Zeus meant FOOTBALL PLAYERS instead of LACROSSE PLAYERS. The women's lacrosse team was on the field before the football team, and the men's lacrosse team was waiting to take it over as soon as those darn FOOTBALL PLAYERS went away. I'll bet the head FOOTBALL coach isn't thrilled with the situation.
Zeus

Yes Sir.
But given the department, is it surprising?
NewXbo

The lacrosses should have their own field.

What happened to the plan to build a lacrosse field next to the field hockey field?

Geez, they just raised $63,000 in one day.
Lafalum

NewXbo wrote:
The lacrosses should have their own field.

What happened to the plan to build a lacrosse field next to the field hockey field?

Geez, they just raised $63,000 in one day.


The lacrosse teams like playing at Fisher.
Andy

Coach Ferguson:

https://twitter.com/CoachFergLC
SIDELINER

A Morning Call update from spring camp.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...ball-practice-20160415-story.html

Also, a new blog with more camp news, photos.

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com/
SIDELINER

A Reinhard blog from Saturday's non-game.

http://www.ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com/

Also, here's a Morning Call story on Lehigh's spring game, at which QB Shafnisky made a bulletin board prediction.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...football-0423-20160423-story.html
SixtyEighter

Hopefully Mickey Fein will call Bill Russo for the wide receiver option pass play Russo used to run or is that play relegated to the football dustbin ?
Andy

Thanks for the excellent coverage, Mr. R.  "OL numbers down today...."  Sigh

Great to hear of the energy and excitement.  Let's shock the world!
edge29

Andy wrote:
Thanks for the excellent coverage, Mr. R.  "OL numbers down today...."  Sigh

Great to hear of the energy and excitement.  Let's shock the world!


Agreed.  The blog is a great addition.  I hope PR knows how much we appreciate it.  

Things are quiet around here.  We might as well shut this thing down if we go through another losing season.

That being said I think our opponents would agree with me that we are as talented as any other team in the league. Maybe more.

Hopefully the stars align for a winning 2016!
RichH

Likely true edge. PL teams all recruit the same type of kids basically. There is not a maior difference in overall talent levels. The determining factor has historically been the number of difference makers. That has not changed with schollies. PL remains a QB driven league on O.
Parity of talent means little without competent coaching.
Pards have a number of possible difference makers. On O is there a QB? You should have a large experienced OL. But Pards have had that before without having an able OL. I wonder about Clayton.
Pards will have a solid D without doubt. DL looks to be very good.
Bottom line question is whether Pards will score points.
Franks Tanks

RichH wrote:
Likely true edge. PL teams all recruit the same type of kids basically. There is not a maior difference in overall talent levels. The determining factor has historically been the number of difference makers. That has not changed with schollies. PL remains a QB driven league on O.
Parity of talent means little without competent coaching.
Pards have a number of possible difference makers. On O is there a QB? You should have a large experienced OL. But Pards have had that before without having an able OL. I wonder about Clayton.
Pards will have a solid D without doubt. DL looks to be very good.
Bottom line question is whether Pards will score points.


The schedule is brutal.  Reed is unlikely to find his Freshman year form, and OL will continue to just be ok.  

I am thinking 3-8 with a win over Central Conn. (hopefully), and 2 wins over PL foes.  Nova, Princeton, Army and Colgate will blow us off the field. Hoping for better results, but we continue to do the same thing, and I expect the same results.  Looking at our 7th losing season in a row.
Andy

Franks Tanks wrote:
RichH wrote:
Likely true edge. PL teams all recruit the same type of kids basically. There is not a maior difference in overall talent levels. The determining factor has historically been the number of difference makers. That has not changed with schollies. PL remains a QB driven league on O.
Parity of talent means little without competent coaching.
Pards have a number of possible difference makers. On O is there a QB? You should have a large experienced OL. But Pards have had that before without having an able OL. I wonder about Clayton.
Pards will have a solid D without doubt. DL looks to be very good.
Bottom line question is whether Pards will score points.


The schedule is brutal.  Reed is unlikely to find his Freshman year form, and OL will continue to just be ok.  

I am thinking 3-8 with a win over Central Conn. (hopefully), and 2 wins over PL foes.  Nova, Princeton, Army and Colgate will blow us off the field. Hoping for better results, but we continue to do the same thing, and I expect the same results.  Looking at our 7th losing season in a row.


I think we can do better, I hope the kids do.  Over 500 in the league at a minimum.  Considering the budget, talent, a sr. QB at the helm, if the result is 3-8, well.....
Andy

My friend, LCLF, directs us to Coach T:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMzSN2oqzc

Mr. R gives us more reason for 2016 trepidation - quality senior QBs throughout the league:

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com
NewXbo

Andy wrote:
My friend, LCLF, directs us to Coach T:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMzSN2oqzc

Mr. R gives us more reason for 2016 trepidation - quality senior QBs throughout the league:

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com


I can understand why Paul calls you a "glass half full" guy. He must have been at the CHT with you where you usually spill more than you drink.
Andy

NewXbo wrote:
Andy wrote:
My friend, LCLF, directs us to Coach T:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMzSN2oqzc

Mr. R gives us more reason for 2016 trepidation - quality senior QBs throughout the league:

http://ramblingsfromthebench.blogspot.com


I can understand why Paul calls you a "glass half full" guy. He must have been at the CHT with you where you usually spill more than you drink.


Probably a Yuengling, probably intentional.   Buy me a Guiness, no spills.
Andy

Princeton: Go Pards!

zenator

Heard about 30-33 players showed up on campus for June workouts of which 4 were freshman.
Andy

zenator wrote:
Heard about 30-33 players showed up on campus for June workouts of which 4 were freshman.


Awesome, Zen!  The kids should be super excited with Nova and Delaware coming to Fisher and playing away at some great venues - Michie and Princeton. Daunting but Let's Go!  I'm telling ya, we could shock some folks.
Gotta get that opener...
LeopardBall10

[quote="Andy:54203"]
zenator wrote:
I'm telling ya, we could shock some folks.
Gotta get that opener...


Not sure what the final record would be to consider me shocked, but I agree that the opener is a huge one. Definitely not a cake walk with how well that league has been playing, and even though CCSU struggled last year they beat some decent teams.

Unfortunately, Tavani-coached teams have not historically preformed well in openers, or on the road. The old Marist openers of the past were always closer than they should have been.
Andy

Someone checking the record might think this is just more anti-Tavani stuff from you; after all Frank won 8 straight openers including wins over Marist by the scores of 49-0, 48-7, 40-21, 49-10, 28-6. But, having been at all of them, there is truth to your assertion. Pards struggled, mostly in the first half, in many of those games.

Coming off last year's disaster, with the challenging schedule, and with maybe as few as 6 senior starters, this young team desperately needs a win in their opener to boost confidence. Agreed, will not be easy.
1990honda

shock some folks

I agree with Zenator. We are going to shock some people. The team speed will be improved. The hunger for winning is there. Forgetting those things that are behind and pressing forward.
zenator

Re: shock some folks

1990honda wrote:
I agree with Zenator. We are going to shock some people. The team speed will be improved. The hunger for winning is there. Forgetting those things that are behind and pressing forward.


Actually, that quote was from Andy. My own view is that injuries derailed last season and that the team is far more talented that it's record reflects. That stated, the schedule is a killer and, as Andy indicated, we really need to win the first few games to build confidence and gain momentum.
LeopardBall10

Andy wrote:
Someone checking the record might think this is just more anti-Tavani stuff from you


Really not anti-Tavani at all. I love the guy and I loved playing for him. I just don't think he is able to do the same job now that he did then. I think either his pride or his health have limited him in recent years.

Andy wrote:
Pards struggled, mostly in the first half, in many of those games.

And I am not quite sure exactly why that is. Having been on some of those teams I know that the coaching staff changed camp schedules, changed workout philosophies, etc. but the Pards just seem to have a hard time getting going.

Andy wrote:
This young team desperately needs a win in their opener to boost confidence.

Without a doubt. When Tavani took this team over he had to do the hard work of teaching a program how to win, how to find those few inches on 4th down, how to come back from a few points down, how to fight and be competitive. Confidence is the biggest part of that. We will see if the staff is able to reteach winning to this team.
1990honda

Thanks for the correction Zenator. I am new to the forum but not to football. I have followed the conversation and also watched the games from last year. Winning starts with an attitude of expecting to win. The work put in prior to the season is the most important.
     The head coach's job is to make sure everyone has what they need. I heard there are 33 players on campus already and 57 more will report by July 5. The coaches must be doing something right.
bethlehempard

Good analysis and optimism. I hope you are right. You guys are on the ball.
If not ... No excuses. If right that's what we need.
If wrong, scholarships are being spent incorrectly.
Right now a four-win season could be a surprise, a step forward.
Is that was Lafayette football is about?
Go for six.
Go Pards! We need a 1981-style turnaround.
1990honda

If wrong, I will make no excuses. I listened to an interview with Colgate's head coach after my last post. They won the league after losing their first three games. He said they had about 80 kids come early last year to work out. They had to pay for housing and food themselves. This team beat everybody in our league.

With the injuries and adjustments made due to position changes, the Leopards were only down by 2 points at about 6:00 left in the game.
I believe that seniors with scholarships will make a huge difference.
Andy

Re: shock some folks

zenator wrote:
1990honda wrote:
I agree with Zenator. We are going to shock some people. The team speed will be improved. The hunger for winning is there. Forgetting those things that are behind and pressing forward.


Actually, that quote was from Andy. My own view is that injuries derailed last season and that the team is far more talented that it's record reflects. That stated, the schedule is a killer and, as Andy indicated, we really need to win the first few games to build confidence and gain momentum.


Right on, guys.  I'm excited to get this thing going. So many talented players on O.  Mrazek, Vangelas, Joey, wadsworth, Brown and now CJ are a lot for a defense to handle. I've said it before and again, Reed has to be a leader as well as our best offensive player for us to succeed (The memory of his 350 yd passing, MVP performance in '13 Rivalry is fading). And for that to happen, the O-line has to be effective. They seem to be as impressive a group as we've had under Coach T.  Sure, we have to work Greiser in, and there are some position changes, but I belive in this group.  Give us some better WR blocking on the bubbles, too, to give Joey a fighting chance.

On D we've been talking about Mike Root's potential since he committed - we shall see as he gets to play next to one of the very best in the league.  Secondary will be young. Can Simmons get it done at CB?  Have to love the S group - Powe, Draeland, and Kaizer B. if healthy.  Need leadership from srs Collin and Rothrock. Beau could be a monster and we all want to see fr. Breedlove. Does Ramsey have the drive and will he be coached up to be a force in this league?   I'm ready to go and it's only June!!

Welcome aboard, honda!  Your son's excitement for college ball and LC in particular is a joy to behold. I believe our staff got a good one here, we could use more like him.  Looking forward to watching him. Enjoy the ride!
1990honda

Thanks for the analysis Andy. I always enjoy reading your replies. How many kids came from winning programs? They know what it takes to win. The competition in practice is going to make the team better. I watched Eric Mitchell, Jr highlights and got even more excited. He is one of the freshmen already on campus.








http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1675130/eric-mitchell-jr
[url][/url]
zenator

Quick update. There are now  32 players working out at Lafayette. Three additional freshman recently showed up so there are now a total of 7.
Andy

New roster today incorporating the freshmen.  Changes: backup OL Warfel gone.  The bios have not been updated to reflect 2015.

Added a DL, Dexter Stinson, from Sierra Canyon (Kaiser Butler).  I actually like him at guard, but too small I guess.  He can play.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1838425/highlights/307207377
SixtyEighter

If Dexter Stinson runs a 4.06 40 as hudl states he should be the middle linebacker at his present weight. That is the equivalent of an NFL MLB.
1990honda

SixtyEighter wrote:
If Dexter Stinson runs a 4.06 40 as hudl states he should be the middle linebacker at his present weight. That is the equivalent of an NFL MLB.


I believe it should read 4.60 40. Shuttle is 4.38. Still very good speed for MLB.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Football
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum