Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
Ransom Stoddard

Theresa Grentz will be the new head coach of WBB

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041715aaa.html
Bogus Megapardus

Heh.  Called it. Cool
Bogus Megapardus

Grentz will bring in superior assistants, I would imagine, to lay the table for the next generation.  I support this decision (though the proof will be in the play).  Big 10 and U.S. Olympic head coaches don't just pop up every day.

Morning Call is on it:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...tte-new-coach-20150417-story.html
leopard88

This seems a bit like hiring Butch Van Breda Kolff near the end of his career.  I would be more than happy if this works out the same way.
Bogus Megapardus

FYI - Grentz's career record as a head coach is 671-309.  Hard to argue with those numbers.
Lafalum

Is she a placeholder??
Bogus Megapardus

Lafalum wrote:
Is she a placeholder??


The simple facts suggest so.  Coach Grentz is 63 years old and already has served as a head coach for 33 years.  Obviously she won't have Tavani/FOH/Kinney-type longevity in her position simply because she will retire at some point.  But this almost certainly will be her last position before she does retire and she already knows how well Lafayette treats its coaches or she wouldn't have accepted the job.
Lafalum

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Lafalum wrote:
Is she a placeholder??


The simple facts suggest so.  Coach Grentz is 63 years old and already has served as a head coach for 33 years.  Obviously she won't have Tavani/FOH/Kinney-type longevity in her position simply because she will retire at some point.  But this almost certainly will be her last position before she does retire and she already knows how well Lafayette treats its coaches or she wouldn't have accepted the job.


So what does it say about the state of our athletic program:

1. We can't afford a good young coach or/
2.  A good young coach wants no part of this administration and program/or
3  We don't know how or who to hire

One concern I have is in recruiting... does any recruit believe she will be here 4 years,5 years or six years from now??

I hope she does well, and teaches our school (administration) how to run a successful division one program.
BillS

Lafalum wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Lafalum wrote:
Is she a placeholder??


The simple facts suggest so.  Coach Grentz is 63 years old and already has served as a head coach for 33 years.  Obviously she won't have Tavani/FOH/Kinney-type longevity in her position simply because she will retire at some point.  But this almost certainly will be her last position before she does retire and she already knows how well Lafayette treats its coaches or she wouldn't have accepted the job.


So what does it say about the state of our athletic program:

1. We can't afford a good young coach or/
2.  A good young coach wants no part of this administration and program/or
3  We don't know how or who to hire

One concern I have is in recruiting... does any recruit believe she will be here 4 years,5 years or six years from now??

I hope she does well, and teaches our school (administration) how to run a successful division one program.
I don't believe a successful coach like her would have taken the job if she didn't think the resources weren't there to win...Now she has to hire a good recruiter! Coach Grentz won't be a yes woman she doesn't have to be.This might turn out to be a short term great hire to jump start the women's  program, I wish her great success!
bethlehempard

Whatever happens -- and I've raved about the Mighty Macs enough and how they changed college sports -- but this is the biggest LC coaching move in years.
Not that we make them often but it's big.
She was succeeded at Rutgers by Stringer.
Our new coach is part of basketball history and royalty. She's a title winner as player and coach.
She's only 63. Butch coached his into his 70s.
Things are looking up.
Bogus Megapardus

Heh.





Lafalum

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Grentz will bring in superior assistants, I would imagine, to lay the table for the next generation.  I support this decision (though the proof will be in the play).  Big 10 and U.S. Olympic head coaches don't just pop up every day.

Morning Call is on it:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...tte-new-coach-20150417-story.html


Maybe but will we pay for superior assistants??
seenalot

Great question and a real key to how committed we are to this program.
carney2

Wouldn't have been my choice, but as Xbo is fond of pointing out, I am the king of the "Whadda I know?" club.  I can't figure - and never will know - the motivations for Bruce hiring her and for her accepting the job.  On the plus side:

Immediate publicity for the program and the College.
Easy access to recruits' living rooms.
Creates lots of head scratching in opposition camps.  (Confusion is good - as long as it's THEIR confusion.)
This may be yet another "for life" hire, but it certainly isn't long term.

You don't get a line on how a coaching hire works out for about 4 years.  At that point she will be 67.  I would absolutely love this to be Bruce's genius decision.  For that to happen Ms. Grentz has to produce a VERY serious league contender in that 4 year period.

So, with my fingers crossed I say:  Bruce, your hiring decisions for the major coaching positions just get curiouser and curiouser.
Kpard

Wow! How about that "national search"? I suppose this is no different than hiring a youngin who stays a few years and moves on. She knows the kids, the recruits, the program, the school, the Patriot League...... Best of luck to her.
Refrider

This almost reach the level of the hiring of Bruce's replacement was Bruce!
ed65

Well, let's get behind the new coach - what a pedigree!

The loss of Emily Homan is tough - she is one of the best we've ever had.  How do you replace her?  You don't.  So let's look to Ashley Lutz to control the boards and for Jamie to continue her improvement.  The question is: who will step up and lead the scoring?
carney2

ed65 wrote:
Well, let's get behind the new coach - what a pedigree!

The loss of Emily Homan is tough - she is one of the best we've ever had.  How do you replace her?  You don't.  So let's look to Ashley Lutz to control the boards and for Jamie to continue her improvement.  The question is: who will step up and lead the scoring?


Patience, lad.  Patience.  In year one you're looking at an 8th place team minus Emily Homan.  No small mountain to climb.  Let's wait to see the young players on the 2017-2018 team.  That will be the first indication of whether the big name coach is able to translate her celebrity into recruiting cash.
Pard4Life

She was the US Olympic coach. If I'm a recruit, I'm listening. Age isn't a factor there. Look at Coach K.
NewXbo

Can't decide if I like this decision or not.  Here is her record at Illinois, her last coaching job:

Yrs       Overall      League  Place    PPG  
95-96    13-15       6-10      8th      73.5
96-97    24-8        12-4       1st      82.5
97-98    20-10      12-4       2nd     79.0
98-99    19-12      10-3       3rd      79.2
99-00    23-11      11-5       4th      76.2
00-01    17-16       9-7        6th      71.1
01-02    15-14       7-9        8th      74.7
02-03    17-12       9-7        6th      71.3
03-04    10-18       4-12      8th      65.8
04-05    17-13       7-9        7th      65.4
05-06    16-15       6-10      7th      62.5
06-07     19-12      8-8        7th      65.2

Seems like things peaked in 96-97, her second year there. Were they her first recruits, or players already there?
bethlehempard

When she left Illinois there were complaints about a lack of in-state recruits.
Also the team moved games to Assembly Hall from a more intimate venue.
That and some early ugliness involving her predecessor's players:

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1998...-2716440c5d0d9793518d2f6b56cb1c07

Her successor at Illinois went 69-93 in five years.
Ransom Stoddard

Coach Grentz's hiring is a big positive.  She is well liked and respected by the players.  If the previous coach had remained, it was very likely that some of the players were going to leave.  I understand Grentz's hiring is very popular among the players and hopefully will prevent certain players from leaving.  Supposedly, the two other assistants are staying and Coach Grentz will hire one more.  Expect less dysfunction and better team play next season.  Hopefully that will lead to more PL wins, or, at the very least, a more consistently competitive team.
ed65

NewXbo wrote:
Can't decide if I like this decision or not.  Here is her record at Illinois, her last coaching job:

Yrs       Overall      League  Place    PPG  
95-96    13-15       6-10      8th      73.5
96-97    24-8        12-4       1st      82.5
97-98    20-10      12-4       2nd     79.0
98-99    19-12      10-3       3rd      79.2
99-00    23-11      11-5       4th      76.2
00-01    17-16       9-7        6th      71.1
01-02    15-14       7-9        8th      74.7
02-03    17-12       9-7        6th      71.3
03-04    10-18       4-12      8th      65.8
04-05    17-13       7-9        7th      65.4
05-06    16-15       6-10      7th      62.5
06-07     19-12      8-8        7th      65.2

Seems like things peaked in 96-97, her second year there. Were they her first recruits, or players already there?


Interesting stats, xbo and good research.  Does it matter that Illinois and the Big Ten are a bit different than the PL?  Is it fair to say that at LC she will be recruiting will be different?
NewXbo

Ransom Stoddard wrote:
Coach Grentz's hiring is a big positive.  She is well liked and respected by the players.  If the previous coach had remained, it was very likely that some of the players were going to leave.  I understand Grentz's hiring is very popular among the players and hopefully will prevent certain players from leaving.  Supposedly, the two other assistants are staying and Coach Grentz will hire one more.  Expect less dysfunction and better team play next season.  Hopefully that will lead to more PL wins, or, at the very least, a more consistently competitive team.


I don't question her ability to coach. I know she had very little, if any, input on strategy, but she did work some one on ones with individual players. I find your statement that players (and their parents) would give up a $50,000 scholarship because they were unhappy unrealistic.

My concern is recruiting. She hasn't been on the road in almost a decade and her trend (see Illinois record) was pretty much a flat line over her last seven years. I'm not convinced that telling a 17 year old that she coached the Olympic team or in the WNBA will be a game changer. Recruiting is tough, lots of time on the road.
BillS

NewXbo wrote:
Ransom Stoddard wrote:
Coach Grentz's hiring is a big positive.  She is well liked and respected by the players.  If the previous coach had remained, it was very likely that some of the players were going to leave.  I understand Grentz's hiring is very popular among the players and hopefully will prevent certain players from leaving.  Supposedly, the two other assistants are staying and Coach Grentz will hire one more.  Expect less dysfunction and better team play next season.  Hopefully that will lead to more PL wins, or, at the very least, a more consistently competitive team.


I don't question her ability to coach. I know she had very little, if any, input on strategy, but she did work some one on ones with individual players. I find your statement that players (and their parents) would give up a $50,000 scholarship because they were unhappy unrealistic.

My concern is recruiting. She hasn't been on the road in almost a decade and her trend (see Illinois record) was pretty much a flat line over her last seven years. I'm not convinced that telling a 17 year old that she coached the Olympic team or in the WNBA will be a game changer. Recruiting is tough, lots of time on the road.
Question were the assistant coaches retained or does she have the flexibility to hire her own coaches ? Hopefully Theresa has a plan to hire her own assistant / recruiting coordinator!
BillS

Gotta love coach Grentz enthusiasm!!! Legendary Scribe Dick hoops Weiss in the house Awesome!
carney2

Any chance that the one hire that she will reportedly (see above) be making will be a go-getter recruiter who will make our dreams come true and be the heir apparent?

Anyway, I am hoping and praying that this works.  Let's be good at something - anything!
SixtyEighter

I just watched the replay of T.G.'s intro press conference. The pluses - she seems like she will do ok recruiting and that she demands excellence. I liked her comment that she was going recruiting and would come back with some players. But can she get the whole to exceed the sum of the parts ? I also didn't hear any reference to setting the goal of winning the league in any way that indicates total determination- just a joke about getting some championships to catch "Frannie." Another negative - does she realize that every PL team and Ivy team she competes with for players also has a great education and $250000 in scholarship money and/or financial aid to offer her recruits?
BillS

SixtyEighter wrote:
I just watched the replay of T.G.'s intro press conference. The pluses - she seems like she will do ok recruiting and that she demands excellence. I liked her comment that she was going recruiting and would come back with some players. But can she get the whole to exceed the sum of the parts ? I also didn't hear any reference to setting the goal of winning the league in any way that indicates total determination- just a joke about getting some championships to catch "Frannie." Another negative - does she realize that every PL team and Ivy team she competes with for players also has a great education and $250000 in scholarship money and/or financial aid to offer her recruits?
Success for any sport at Lafayette revolves around the admission office and support from the Administration  ( money)...we are tired of losing sports teams at Lafayette!
Bogus Megapardus

Reading tea leaves - until this afternoon, Assistant Coach C.K. Calhoun was listed on GoLeopards.com as "Interim Head Coach" of the team.  I am unaware of any instance, in any sport, where a current assistant was given the "interim" tag following the departure of the HC.

Just a resume item for future endeavors, done as a favor to Calhoun?  Something Grentz asked for?  An indication of Calhoun's strengthened position with the Leopards?


Marooner

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
I am unaware of any instance, in any sport, where a current assistant was given the "interim" tag following the departure of the HC.

I don't remember how long the gap was, but Jennifer Stone was the interim head coach of field hockey for a spell before getting the job outright.
Bogus Megapardus

Marooner wrote:
I don't remember how long the gap was, but Jennifer Stone was the interim head coach of field hockey for a spell before getting the job outright.


That makes sense.  Anyone recall if Tavani was "interim" post-Russo?



EDIT - just a little history.  On November 16, 1999, Lafayette announced that "a national search for Russo's replacement will begin following the season."

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022200aac.html

Twenty-five days later, the college announced Tavani's promotion.

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012800aaa.html


NewXbo

BillS wrote:
Success for any sport at Lafayette revolves around the admission office and support from the Administration  ( money)...we are tired of losing sports teams at Lafayette!


Truer words were never spoken. I don't think $ will be a problem for next years recruits as we will have at least 3 scholarship available (we have 4 graduating this year but we have only 3 recruits coming in). The big question is, will admissions give her a little slack to get the program to the next level.
Bogus Megapardus

NewXbo wrote:
The big question is, will admissions give her a little slack to get the program to the next level.


Does the college really need to let admissions requirements slide?  How many WBB scholarship recruits have we lost due to admissions requirements?  It's just that I'm constantly in fear of the slippery slope here.  If it's one dynamite recruit who needs a break, then OK.  But there can't be a carte blanche for one team but not for others.

Lafayette is what it is.
Kpard

SixtyEighter wrote:
I just watched the replay of T.G.'s intro press conference. The pluses - she seems like she will do ok recruiting and that she demands excellence. I liked her comment that she was going recruiting and would come back with some players. But can she get the whole to exceed the sum of the parts ? I also didn't hear any reference to setting the goal of winning the league in any way that indicates total determination- just a joke about getting some championships to catch "Frannie." Another negative - does she realize that every PL team and Ivy team she competes with for players also has a great education and $250000 in scholarship money and/or financial aid to offer her recruits?


I heard her reference the Men's championship game and bringing that to the women.
Bogus Megapardus

SixtyEighter wrote:
just a joke about getting some championships to catch "Frannie."


My take is that Grentz gets along well with FOH.  Anyone know?  Ransom Stoddard?
BillS

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
NewXbo wrote:
The big question is, will admissions give her a little slack to get the program to the next level.


Does the college really need to let admissions requirements slide?  How many WBB scholarship recruits have we lost due to admissions requirements?  It's just that I'm constantly in fear of the slippery slope here.  If it's one dynamite recruit who needs a break, then OK.  But there can't be a carte blanche for one team but not for others.

Lafayette is what it is.
We're not talking about a major slide in admission, it's  just accepting a recruit who will be accepted at other PL schools,really that's only fair to the coaches who bust their ass trying  too get the job done! Remember Darren Queenen rejected by admissions at Lafayette accepted at Lehigh and we know the rest of the story line. ..UGH
leopard88

BillS wrote:
Remember Darren Queenen rejected by admissions at Lafayette accepted at Lehigh and we know the rest of the story line. ..UGH


OFF TOPIC -- I wonder if Otis Ellis would have gone elsewhere if Queenan was already here.  That would have been one hell of a tandem.

OFF OFF TOPIC -- Queenan has a Wikipedia page, but Ellis doesn't.  Someone should take care of that.
carney2

NewXbo wrote:
My concern is recruiting.


BillS wrote:
we are tired of losing sports teams at Lafayette!


Just look at who I agree with.  Has the world stopped spinning?
BillS

carney2 wrote:
NewXbo wrote:
My concern is recruiting.


BillS wrote:
we are tired of losing sports teams at Lafayette!


Just look at who I agree with.  Has the world stopped spinning?
we are mad as hell and we aren't going to take it anymore  Rolling Eyes
Lafalum

We have had successful teams but we never follow through and lose momentum.Men's Soccer in the early part of the decade, baseball same period and a long ago history of success, Men's basketball in the early decades (pre-scholarship), women's lacrosse in the late nineties and then a succession of coaches, field hockey in the nineties, the early decade and recently ( going from a 7th ranked nationally team and two NCAA appearances to two 6-11 seasons) after losing a fine coach, and PL championships in football.

We have had issues after the installation of scholarships, the instance for FOF to raise the cash first before getting scholarships that would allow to schedule BCS teams for a large paycheck, the issue of maintaining scholarships if a player leaves to award to the next class or a current player. Frozen and cuts in the operating budgets 2008 and beyond. Pay for good assistants, and making retaining good assistants and at a level that permits good coaching and instruction. In flexibility for some academics to schedule classes making it impossible to attend class and play a sport. ( some profs have scheduled evening classes for multiple hours making it impossible for athletes to major in certain subjects, field trip that in some cases like geology cause students to miss games in season). These are, I believe some of the obstacles that could be cleared up by an administration interested in our student athletes and their experience.
Bogus Megapardus

Lafalum wrote:
Flexibility for some academics to schedule classes making it impossible to attend class and play a sport (some profs have scheduled evening classes for multiple hours making it impossible for athletes to major in certain subjects, field trip that in some cases like geology cause students to miss games in season).


This is concerning.  I was under the impression that a Lafayette athlete could choose any major and that the administration would work with him/her to make sure all requirements are met without any prejudice to to the student's status as an athlete.  This is supposed to include foreign study, if desired.  

No one suggests that the pressure on a Lafayette athlete's time isn't greater than a non-athlete.  The pressure most certainly is greater.  Athletes get little (if any) down time during the season and they have to develop exceptional time management and efficiency skills.  This isn't Kentucky or Tennessee or Georgia where an athlete is given virtually unlimited time and leeway to "hone his craft."  Every Lafayette student knows that coming in.

It seems to me that Lafayette always has advertised to prospective student-athletes that any major is available to them, including lab-intensive majors such as ChemE and Biology.

I contrast this with a nephew-in-law who is a five-star (football) recruit now entering a PAC-12 school in California.  He's not being red-shirted and apparently he's been put to task against his coach, the AD and the administration to allow him to enroll in a particularly rigorous academic major.  I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen on College Hill.
Lafalum

If you want to be a geology major you must attend certain week end field trips. If you play a sport that would be impossible. I know of at least 3 athletes who were starter who missed games because of that requirement.
One department in particular ( history) regularly scheduled 3 hour lectures on Wedesday despite a schedule that said otherwise. For the non- athlete that was great they got extra time during the day. As related to me by a baseball parent he couldn't major history because of it. It's this inflexibility for these issues specifically that could be addressed by following the rule that no coach should schedule mandatory practices before 4 pm and no professor shall have classes after 4 pm. But it doesn't happen.

This is not the Athletic Department telling an athlete he can't be a major but the certain academic department not being cognizant of an athlete's commitments. This is a minority issue but it is one of many issues where the athlete's responsibilities not being a consideration when asking a student to adhere to a requirement.
Bogus Megapardus

Lafalum wrote:
If you want to be a geology major you must attend certain week end field trips. If you play a sport that would be impossible. I know of at least 3 athletes who were starter who missed games because of that requirement.
One department in particular (history) regularly scheduled 3 hour lectures on Wednesday despite a schedule that said otherwise. For the non- athlete that was great they got extra time during the day. As related to me by a baseball parent he couldn't major history because of it. It's this inflexibility for these issues specifically that could be addressed by following the rule that no coach should schedule mandatory practices before 4 pm and no professor shall have classes after 4 pm.


That's not acceptable at all.  Geology is a growing field for students who want careers in groundwater, oil and natural resource exploration.  Any athlete ought to be able to major in History - a liberal arts staple.  Are these professors (or or worse, their department heads) deliberately thumbing their noses at Lafayette athletes or discouraging athletes from those majors?  Can't the field trips occur, say, on Tuesday mornings?

Conversely, could some of this merely be bluster and fluster from some crinkly professor whose schedule might be put out and nose twisted slightly out of joint?  Lafayette students are supposed to be of the self-starting ilk, who can "push back."  Lafayette College is as small as it is for a purpose.  No Lafayette student ever is lost in a sea of anonymity.  I seem to recall that "established protocols" never were so inflexible that a call or a visit to an advisor or a department chair or a dean went unheeded.  A kid who throws up his/her hands at the first bump in the road isn't going to get very far in life.
Lost Again

Quote:
Are these professors (or or worse, their department heads) deliberately thumbing their noses at Lafayette athletes or discouraging athletes from those majors?  Can't the field trips occur, say, on Tuesday mornings?


Hardly, quite the opposite.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professor more supportative of athletics.  He happens to be the faculty advisor.

This isn't a field trip down to the Delaware river.  It is a multi-day excursion well out to the west (I think).  Quite honestly, it is one of those 'things' that makes LC special. Likewise, if I recall correctly, there is typically a psych course offered Monday evenings that requires fall athletes to leave practice early.  Some G'town athletes miss the same day of practice every week because that is when their science lab meets.

Where the BS starts is when the professor starts setting their own class schedule regardless of what the published catalog says.
Bogus Megapardus

Lost Again wrote:
Hardly, quite the opposite.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professor more supportive of athletics.  He happens to be the faculty advisor.

This isn't a field trip down to the Delaware river.  It is a multi-day excursion well out to the west (I think).  Quite honestly, it is one of those 'things' that makes LC special. Likewise, if I recall correctly, there is typically a psych course offered Monday evenings that requires fall athletes to leave practice early.  Some G'town athletes miss the same day of practice every week because that is when their science lab meets.

Where the BS starts is when the professor starts setting their own class schedule regardless of what the published catalog says.


This is more in line with my understanding.  Lafayette athletes give their mind, body and soul to the College.  None expects to be coddled or treated like some precious thing.  Every one of them is a "real student."  This is what makes Lafayette so distinct from the vast bulk of DI institutions.  It's always been my impression that most professors "get it" and want to help the athletes succeed.
carney2

Lafalum wrote:
We have had successful teams


I remember.  I think it starts "Once upon a time..."
Bogus Megapardus

carney2 wrote:
I remember.  I think it starts "Once upon a time..."


" . . . in the land of make-believe . . . "
NewXbo

Lafayette College's Director of Athletic Communications and Promotions Scott D. Morse has gone all in on the hiring of Theresa Grentz as the new women's basketball coach in todays daily email. Lets hope he's right this time.
Bogus Megapardus

"I just have to laugh when I hear or learn of the naysayers and pessimists making comments in private, via social media or posting opinions on anonymous chat boards such as she’s too old, may not have enough energy or that prospects won’t know her name because she hasn’t been a head coach for eight years."

http://community.lafayette.edu/behind-the-roar/?p=759

Seriously?  There are "anonymous chat boards" covering Lafayette basketball?  Where can I find them?  Anyone have a link?
bethlehempard

There are pessimists? Over a program that is 170-409 over 20 years? That lost 100 games in four years?
How could anybody be pessimistic?
I like this move with Grentz and I wonder how Morse knows what is said in private.
I have some sympathy for the PR staff, there are only so many ways to try to spin losses and retain credibility. It's an impossible job.
Lafalum

bethlehempard wrote:
There are pessimists? Over a program that is 170-409 over 20 years? That lost 100 games in four years?
How could anybody be pessimistic?
I like this move with Grentz and I wonder how Morse knows what is said in private.
I have some sympathy for the PR staff, there are only so many ways to try to spin losses and retain credibility. It's an impossible job.


I do see positives in that they are throwing their credibility on the line. This hire must succeed!! If Grentz can't do it then where does the blame go. Wink
bethlehempard

A fan objected to Morse's comments. I agree. Not much to laugh at.
Andy

bethlehempard wrote:
A fan objected to Morse's comments. I agree. Not much to laugh at.


You are right on with your posts on this bp. In fact, I liked your post that you've edited out even more.

Scott's comments immediately recall his damage control "Expectations Have Changed" piece the day after the 17 member football recruiting class was announced.  Some of us "naysayers and pessimists" were questioning the number as inadequate.  Scott said  "A knee-jerk reaction might signal something's wrong - why only 17? A closer look at the student-athletes, however, shows that Coach Tavani and his staff went after quality. And by quality, we're talking solid scholars with superior talent." Of course within a few years the coach was blaming the small class caused by Weis' cuts as the reason for the demise of the program. No surprise, spin doctoring is what it's all about. Scott has just gotten more personal in his recent statements.

Again, women's bball at LC is not a laughing matter. (Laughable perhaps). Until the athletic dept and their spokesmen get it halfway right maybe they ought to drop the offensive and just shut up. (170-409!)

I, like you and others, like this hire but certainly see room for questions in a discussion forum. I'd like to know how Coach Grentz became affiliated with us as an assistant? Was that Coach Nolan's doing?  If so she deserves the credit for setting up this ready made solution for which Bruce is patting himself on the back.
seenalot

Yup - that pretty much sums it up.  Lipstick on pigs we got lots of...would like to see some action that speaks louder than words.
Kpard

Lafalum wrote:
bethlehempard wrote:
There are pessimists? Over a program that is 170-409 over 20 years? That lost 100 games in four years?
How could anybody be pessimistic?
I like this move with Grentz and I wonder how Morse knows what is said in private.
I have some sympathy for the PR staff, there are only so many ways to try to spin losses and retain credibility. It's an impossible job.


I do see positives in that they are throwing their credibility on the line. This hire must succeed!! If Grentz can't do it then where does the blame go. Wink


Given her reputation, resume, experience, and proven past results if Coach Grentz can't get it done.....then who can????
bethlehempard

I looked again. Morse said more or less:
"Our customers are idiots."
He is supposed to relay information not his own opinion.
Lafalum

bethlehempard wrote:
I looked again. Morse said more or less:
"Our customers are idiots."
He is supposed to relay information not his own opinion.


I may have said this long ago but this board and one other is a hair shirt to the administration. I can say as a fact the college went to great trouble under Weiss to find out who post here. I was told by a former VP at the college.."we know who post on the fan forum." Unquote. They also tried to discover who might have posted in anonymous newspaper comments ( Easton Express, Morning Call and major newspapers.) I have personal knowledge.
flyfisher

Lost Again wrote:
Quote:
Are these professors (or or worse, their department heads) deliberately thumbing their noses at Lafayette athletes or discouraging athletes from those majors?  Can't the field trips occur, say, on Tuesday mornings?


Hardly, quite the opposite.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professor more supportative of athletics.  He happens to be the faculty advisor.

This isn't a field trip down to the Delaware river.  It is a multi-day excursion well out to the west (I think).  Quite honestly, it is one of those 'things' that makes LC special. Likewise, if I recall correctly, there is typically a psych course offered Monday evenings that requires fall athletes to leave practice early.  Some G'town athletes miss the same day of practice every week because that is when their science lab meets.

Where the BS starts is when the professor starts setting their own class schedule regardless of what the published catalog says.


As in most situations, some prefessors support athletes more than others. Some appreciate athletes, some actually dislike athletes. Some dont feel athletes should be in the more difficult majors and dont like working with their schedule. Some will work with them. Even a recent Religion free elective class had a field day and some athletes could not go. They were given another time on a Sunday to go. thats all you can ask for. As to labs, the engineers have to do night labs. At least they have that option.

back to the hire, I think this is a great hire for WBB at LC. The AD went out and found a great choice and put a package together to get her. i thought this is what we all wanted.
flyfisher

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Lost Again wrote:
Hardly, quite the opposite.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professor more supportive of athletics.  He happens to be the faculty advisor.

This isn't a field trip down to the Delaware river.  It is a multi-day excursion well out to the west (I think).  Quite honestly, it is one of those 'things' that makes LC special. Likewise, if I recall correctly, there is typically a psych course offered Monday evenings that requires fall athletes to leave practice early.  Some G'town athletes miss the same day of practice every week because that is when their science lab meets.

Where the BS starts is when the professor starts setting their own class schedule regardless of what the published catalog says.


This is more in line with my understanding.  Lafayette athletes give their mind, body and soul to the College.  None expects to be coddled or treated like some precious thing.  Every one of them is a "real student."  This is what makes Lafayette so distinct from the vast bulk of DI institutions.  It's always been my impression that most professors "get it" and want to help the athletes succeed.


For the most part the professors are pretty understanding. Almost all are flexible with re-scheduling a test around a schedule. Some like athletes, some dont. You would see this anywhere. Most professors want to see the athletes succeed as long as they are putting the work in. No different from any other student.

being a student/athlete at LC is not like your typical FCS or D1A school. Its a very tough road. But then the education isnt typical either. I believe the Patriot league in total has a nice niche. The only issue is that other than the Ivy League, there are not many schools/leagues like the PL.
Bogus Megapardus

flyfisher wrote:
The AD went out and found a great choice and put a package together to get her. i thought this is what we all wanted.


I'm completely in support of hiring Grentz.  And the fact that she'll put her reputation on the line for the College says a lot.
NewXbo

Lets review Morses comments: " He (Bruce) could have gone the common route within the Patriot League and hired a rising young assistant coach at a similar institution at which academics are a priority. That may have been a safe route, an easy route, the usual route."

Here's our "common route"

Lets see: we keep Pat Fisher " a rising young assistant" on for 21 years even though she had a losing PL record her last 8 years.

We hire "she who shall be named" " a rising young assistant" the head a local D3 college, who fails to produce a winning record in six seasons.

We hire Diane Nolan, another "rising young assistant" .....

Obviously we did take Morses common route, safe route, easy route, usual route.
bison137

[quote="NewXbo:47991]

We hire Diane Nolan, another "rising young assistant" .....

Obviously we did take Morses common route, safe route, easy route, usual route.[/quote]


Hard to call Nolan either rising or young when she was hired.
Lafalum

bison137 wrote:
[quote="NewXbo:47991]

We hire Diane Nolan, another "rising young assistant" .....

Obviously we did take Morses common route, safe route, easy route, usual route.



Hard to call Nolan either rising or young when she was hired.[/quote]


Ah... but she might have been cheap and had little negotiating power!
Andy

bison137 wrote:
[quote="NewXbo:47991]

We hire Diane Nolan, another "rising young assistant" .....

Obviously we did take Morses common route, safe route, easy route, usual route.



Hard to call Nolan either rising or young when she was hired.[/quote]

Sarcasm from xbo, 137. Pointing out that we didn't take the "usual route."
NewXbo

Must have caught Bison 137 sleeping.

I hope Grentz is the answer. I know she can coach. I hope she can recruit. But this nonsense about not taking the "common route" is BS. We once again take our common route and hope for the best.

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT, DARE TO BE GREAT
Kpard

NewXbo wrote:
Must have caught Bison 137 sleeping.

I hope Grentz is the answer. I know she can coach. I hope she can recruit. But this nonsense about not taking the "common route" is BS. We once again take our common route and hope for the best.

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT, DARE TO BE GREAT


One thing is certain....this hire has caused a lot of conversation!
carney2

yada...yada...yada...  And from Scott Morse, more yada.

In the end it won't matter how magnificent her resume is.  In the end it won't matter how much the kids like her.  In the end it won't matter if she is a great bench jockey.  In the end all that will matter is

CAN SHE RECRUIT?!!

If not, this will merely be the next sad chapter in the sorrya$$ tale of Lafayette athletics.
SixtyEighter

I agree with Carney - Recruiting will be a major challenge. However my issue with this appointment is that it will take a miracle to overtake the teams ahead of us in the PL and from her introductory press conference Theresa Grentz did not appear to be a miracle worker.
Kpard

Only 2 sub .500 records in 30+ years. I think she know what she is doing.
ed65

I'm glad to see that this hiring has generated so many comments on the site.  It will be a giant step for the new coach to get the college to the top of the league - to win in February and to win in the tournament.  But she sure seems to have the confidence and background to do it!  I agree that this is a big test for Bruce, McKittrick (sp) and the Admin.
ed65

Lafalum wrote:
bethlehempard wrote:
I looked again. Morse said more or less:
"Our customers are idiots."
He is supposed to relay information not his own opinion.


I may have said this long ago but this board and one other is a hair shirt to the administration. I can say as a fact the college went to great trouble under Weiss to find out who post here. I was told by a former VP at the college.."we know who post on the fan forum." Unquote. They also tried to discover who might have posted in anonymous newspaper comments ( Easton Express, Morning Call and major newspapers.) I have personal knowledge.


I'm not surprised that Weiss and his minions tried to find out who posts on the forum.   It smacks of Nixon and his "enemies list."

However, I could care less that they know who I am.  What are they going to do?  Fire us as alumni?  

I really like Lafalum's comment about the board being a "hair shirt" to the admin.  That is a wonderful analogy.
carney2

SixtyEighter wrote:
...my issue with this appointment is that it will take a miracle to overtake the teams ahead of us in the PL


We're talking about the Patriot League, not the ACC.  This is not an impossible dream.
carney2

Lafalum wrote:
...this board and one other is a hair shirt to the administration.


What's the "one other?"  To the best of my knowledge I haven't pi$$ed anyone off over there - yet.
Lafalum

carney2 wrote:
Lafalum wrote:
...this board and one other is a hair shirt to the administration.


What's the "one other?"  To the best of my knowledge I haven't pi$$ed anyone off over there - yet.


I should have said "was."  I think it was called Friends of Lafayette College which was very critical of the Weiss administration.
BillS

Lafalum wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Lafalum wrote:
...this board and one other is a hair shirt to the administration.


What's the "one other?"  To the best of my knowledge I haven't pi$$ed anyone off over there - yet.


I should have said "was."  I think it was called Friends of Lafayette College which was very critical of the Weiss administration.
We still have FB page but friendsoflafayette.org has been deactivated.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum