Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
65Pard

Washington and Lafayette

Interesting reading

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/his...tte-162245867/?no-ist=&page=1
Andy

Re: Washington and Lafayette

65Pard wrote:
Interesting reading

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/his...tte-162245867/?no-ist=&page=1


The Gulf, a balcony, a mug of coffee and this article - a very enjoyable morning. Thanks, 65.
bethlehempard

Thank you for that fascinating item. I too read it over coffee and a deck and a gulf, this one of St. Lawrence off PEI on Saturday. I have noticed on trips to France that opinions of Lafayette are far from fixed even today.
Just north of Ringoes, NJ, is a house occupied by Lafayette that I didn't know about until taking a wrong turn. Near Route 31.
cr

on your drive home you can stop by and see a beautiful campus in the Chenango Valley. Very Happy
Pards Rule

cr wrote:
on your drive home you can stop by and see a beautiful campus in the Chenango Valley. Very Happy


I was just there the week after Memorial Day for the first time since 1987 when I passed through on my way to visit a friend in Dolgeville. Before that, was only there once scouting schools in early Nov. 1979 - and it was cold and snowed like 4 inches! Will be returning quite a few times coming this summer and fall. Expect to visit and be at Andy Kerr first time EVER for the November game. Hmmm, wouldnt it be cool to have a rerun of early Nov 1979? I was at the pre Halloween 2011 Snow Bout vs Bucknell and appreciate those games.
bethlehempard

The Chenango Valley and campus are beautiful but my route took me past Colby and Bowdoin then Worcester and Holy Cross instead. Not quite the same but not bad. 17 hours to home.
My memory of the Chenango Valley is for the beauty and the difficulty in finding accommodations. And for not enough wins.
Andy

bethlehempard wrote:
Thank you for that fascinating item. I too read it over coffee and a deck and a gulf, this one of St. Lawrence off PEI on Saturday. I have noticed on trips to France that opinions of Lafayette are far from fixed even today.
Just north of Ringoes, NJ, is a house occupied by Lafayette that I didn't know about until taking a wrong turn. Near Route 31.


Some parallel experiences, bp.  My wife's gr-grandfather settled in PEI after emmigrating from Ireland. The family moving eventually to the Houlton, ME area. Is it PEI that actually has warm water beaches thanks to the Gulf Stream? A must trip soon for us.

In a relatively undeveloped area of my Bergen County home town was the sandstone  structure known as the Von Steuben House.  65's article taught me more than I'd ever known about the guy.
Bogus Megapardus

bethlehempard wrote:


Just north of Ringoes, NJ, is a house occupied by Lafayette that I didn't know about until taking a wrong turn. Near Route 31.


Wow - the second person on this board who can identify Ringoes, NJ on a map!





It's known as the "Landis House."  If you visit Ringoes, be sure to eat at "Mom's."  It's just past the Landis House and it's definitely not a "wrong turn."





*
bethlehempard

PEI is beautiful. You can fly there in season from NY. We drove with stops in Boston and Bangor on the way up but straight through home due to a work issue. I wouldn't do that again.
The beaches are probably the warmest in Canada though high temperatures over 80 aren't common. The island is ideal for a quiet vacation. Women in particular like the Anne of Green Gables stuff which has caught on like wildfire in Japan too. It's a big island with lots of places to visit.
The toll on the bridge out: C$45.
The residents are almost entirely the descendants of British, Scottish and Irish settlers. The French influence is minimal compared to other provinces.
bethlehempard

Ringoes: home of the Carousel bakery, a Grange Hall, the Black River ? Railway and some attractive old houses. I often pass through on 579 the most direct route between the Lehigh Valley and the Princeton area and beyond.
The only problem: deer. They are so common I think of them as tall squirrels.
There's also lovely Hillbilly Hall outside Hopewell.
Bogus Megapardus

bethlehempard wrote:
There's also lovely Hillbilly Hall outside Hopewell.


My favorite watering hole.  If Lori is tending bar, she'll turn on Pard games for you.  

Ringoes was the halfway point along the first stage route between Philadelphia and New York - the midway point on the Old York Road.  The stage travelers would stay in Ringoes for the night before traveling on.


EDIT - Rt. 579 once was known as the "Easton-Trenton Turnpike."  Parts of the road continue to use that name (including a stretch in Ringoes):

bethlehempard

If you take 95 you will pass by Houlton then end up on Canada 2. Or from Bangor take Route 9 through wilderness to 1 the Canada coastal route. The latter is shorter but 95 is easier. We took the slower way in and 95 back.
It is a great quiet place to visit. Charlottetown, the Greenwich beach and dunes and the Green Gables area (for fans) are high points. Staying on the far side is more scenic. A real ocean view versus a view of New Brunswick. Cottages are the main lodging though there are hotels and motels.
I will ask for Lori at H Hall. Sometimes cutting through the Hopewell area to Bordentown then 206 is a more relaxing way to get to the shore.
Pards Rule

BTW CR reason for my upcoming visits to the Chenango Valley:

Coming soon: Saxbys at the Barge

BY BARBARA BROOKS ON JUNE 16, 2014
1 COMMENT
Saxbys logo

When Colgate and the Hamilton Initiative began operating the Barge Canal Coffee Company in 1996, their goal was to provide an alcohol-free social space for students and the Hamilton community while operating a viable business.

Now, the Barge has become such a success that premier coffee company Saxbys Coffee will build on this strong foundation and provide its expertise to renovate the café this summer. The revamped café, Saxbys at the Barge, will be open later this summer.
Pards Rule

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
bethlehempard wrote:
There's also lovely Hillbilly Hall outside Hopewell.


My favorite watering hole.  If Lori is tending bar, she'll turn on Pard games for you.  

Ringoes was the halfway point along the first stage route between Philadelphia and New York - the midway point on the Old York Road.  The stage travelers would stay in Ringoes for the night before traveling on.


EDIT - Rt. 579 once was known as the "Easton-Trenton Turnpike."  Parts of the road continue to use that name (including a stretch in Ringoes):



Bogus, know that area well as my first project in 1986 with Hanna Autowash Systems was the Hopewell Valley Auto Wash on Rt 31 done by four Mobil Oil research engineers from the nearby facility. Still doing well there!
Pards Rule

[quote="Bogus Megapardus:40843"]
bethlehempard wrote:


Just north of Ringoes, NJ, is a house occupied by Lafayette that I didn't know about until taking a wrong turn. Near Route 31.


Wow - the second person on this board who can identify Ringoes, NJ on a map!





It's known as the "Landis House."  If you visit Ringoes, be sure to eat at "Mom's."  It's just past the Landis House and it's definitely not a "wrong turn."

I DIDNT know about this place but will have to deviate to see it. Is Moms really called Moms so I can find it? And where is this Hillbilly House? Also will be up in this area too as Saxbys Coffee (where I am Director of Real Estate Development www.saxbyscoffee.com) just took over the lease of the now closed House of Coffee at Peddlers Village near New Hope, PA. We will be renovating that and reopening around Nov. 1 2014.
Bogus Megapardus

Pards Rule wrote:
Is Moms really called Moms so I can find it? And where is this Hillbilly House?


(1)  Yes:



(2)  "Hillbilly Hall" is in the middle of the woods, on the road from Hopewell to Wertsville, variously named "N. Greenwood Rd.," "Rileyville Rd." or "Hopewell-Wertsville Rd.," depending on where you are.  It'll be the place with all the Harleys and pickup trucks out front.



I'll save the story about how Hillbilly Hall got its name for another day.
Pards Rule

Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Pards Rule wrote:
Is Moms really called Moms so I can find it? And where is this Hillbilly House?


(1)  Yes:



(2)  "Hillbilly Hall" is in the middle of the woods, on the road from Hopewell to Wertsville, variously named "N. Greenwood Rd.," "Rileyville Rd." or "Hopewell-Wertsville Rd.," depending on where you are.  It'll be the place with all the Harleys and pickup trucks out front.



I'll save the story about how Hillbilly Hall got its name for another day.


Thanks Bogus! Better question yet: how did I NOT see a Hillbilly Hall sign in the rock room of Chi Phi when I was touring it the other weekend at Reunion? At the end of the walk-through, I joked with the other people I was with: "Please deposit a few dollars in the donation jar so we can keep this museum open!!"

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum