Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
Lafalum

What should the study say to satisfy you?

I know many of you have stopped giving or limited your giving while waiting to see whether the study committee produces something of substance. What would you like to see as a conclusion published in April? I have a list for me. Feel free to add or subtract to my list:

1. Affirm that winning is an objective for the athletic program and identify those programs that will receive 100 pct support where a positive
win loss record is expected as a result.
2. Have the AD report to the President
3. To those sports considered "sports of emphasis," there should be 100 pct fully funded scholarships, a fully funded coaching staff to the level permitted by the NCAA, and if a scholarship player drops out of the sport his money is replaced for use the following semester.
4. To the extent possible, athletes should be able to participate in the the life of the college. That should include membership in social organizations. However, commitment to the team and practices and training  comes first.
5. Codify that the money raised by the friends groups is supplemental  money and an addition to that provided to the teams by the school.
6. Every Friends group should be represented on the Board of the Maroon Club. The leadership should be elected by the Board of the Maroon Club.
7. The athletic director should prepare an annual report to all members of the Maroon Club and should include an assessment of all results, on the field and fiscally.
8 New hiring committees should include at least one member of the relevant friends group
leopard88

Re: What should the study say to satisfy you?

Lafalum wrote:

4. To the extent possible, athletes should be able to participate in the the life of the college. That should include membership in social organizations. However, commitment to the team and practices and training  comes first.


I get where you're going with this one, but I disagree with the language.  At the end of the day, student-athletes are competitive people and will prioritize their time in this manner anyway.  However, I think it sends the wrong message to state formally that college life comes second . . . even if our ultimate goal is a successful athletic program.
Lafalum

Re: What should the study say to satisfy you?

leopard88 wrote:
Lafalum wrote:

4. To the extent possible, athletes should be able to participate in the the life of the college. That should include membership in social organizations. However, commitment to the team and practices and training  comes first.


I get where you're going with this one, but I disagree with the language.  At the end of the day, student-athletes are competitive people and will prioritize their time in this manner anyway.  However, I think it sends the wrong message to state formally that college life comes second . . . even if our ultimate goal is a successful athletic program.


I suppose what I was trying to convey was if you have a scholarship you have to consider that responsibility first, but no one should be barred from joining a frat or sorority. Perhaps you can't be in the choir or the band and play a sport...just not possible.
Marooner

Re: What should the study say to satisfy you?

Over the years, I've gathered that many of you are much more "in the know" than I am. But here's my two cents on the points above that I feel educated enough to comment on.

Lafalum wrote:
1. Affirm that winning is an objective for the athletic program and identify those programs that will receive 100 pct support where a positive win loss record is expected as a result.


To me, this is a given for a Division I (or any) athletic department. But I agree that if it isn't explicitly stated, then all other objectives shall be taken with a rather large grain of salt.

Lafalum wrote:
3. To those sports considered "sports of emphasis," there should be 100 pct fully funded scholarships, a fully funded coaching staff to the level permitted by the NCAA, and if a scholarship player drops out of the sport his money is replaced for use the following semester.


I might say that sports of emphasis should be supported "to an extent at least equal to that of our peer institutions." If you want to get specific, our funding/scholarships should at least be above average compared to the other Patriot League schools for that sport (excluding Army & Navy).

Maybe that does mean "fully funded" as you meant it above, but maybe not in some sports.

Lafalum wrote:
4. To the extent possible, athletes should be able to participate in the the life of the college. That should include membership in social organizations. However, commitment to the team and practices and training  comes first.


As has already been addressed, the language here gets tricky. But I think we're all on the same page that student-athletes should be allowed to be "regular students" so long as they are fulfilling academic and athletic obligations.

Lafalum wrote:
8 New hiring committees should include at least one member of the relevant friends group


This is a tricky one for me. I don't know any specific donors/board members/higher-ups/etc. the way that some of you do, so I'm going to speak in generalities, and you're going to have to trust me that I'm not referring to any of the Lafayette "friends groups" of specific "friends" in particular. Here goes...

If accountability is what we're after, then the Athletic Director (and occasionally some folks higher on the food chain) need to be ultimately responsible. For every "friend" that would be an asset in this role, there is likely one that would be a liability, be it for reasons of nepotism or selfishness or just being way out of their league as a part of the hiring process. The folks who are accountable need to be the ones making the decision.
adcs2

Every reference to AD should say NEW AD

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Whatever else
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum