Archive for Lafayette Sports Fan Forum This forum is not affiliated in any way with Lafayette College, Lafayette College Athletics, The Maroon Club or any other official organization. Please be respectful of other posters as well as the athletes, coaches and administrators.
 


       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
NewXbo

Women win another

Despite a short bench, only 9 players dressed, they held off Penn in an evenly played game, 60-57. Emily Homan led all scorers with a 29 point output.  The five starters played 167 of the 200 minutes. Freshman Ashley Lutz, sealed the game with 2 foul shots with just seconds left.
bison137

The PL on the women's side ranks #17 in the nation (Sagarin), which I think would be its highest ranking ever.   Unlike many other sports, the addition of Loyola and Boston U actually has hurt the ranking and the league would be at least 14th with the original eight teams.  Five of those eight are in the top 133 at the moment:

73  American              
75  Army              
100  Lehigh          
124  Bucknell    
133  Lafayette      

Holy Cross is off to a bad start but they have had a number of key injuries and may be able to challenge the above group of five.   Army remains the favorite.
Kpard

Re: Women win another

NewXbo wrote:
Despite a short bench, only 9 players dressed, they held off Penn in an evenly played game, 60-57. Emily Homan led all scorers with a 29 point output.  The five starters played 167 of the 200 minutes. Freshman Ashley Lutz, sealed the game with 2 foul shots with just seconds left.


I missed why there was only 9 available?
whatthefrank?

Curious as why only 9 as well??  Also why don't they play both Homan and Soulsby at the same time?  I saw them on the floor at the same time briefly and it caused a huge mismatch for one or the other.  Twin Towers of Lafayette!!!
NewXbo

whatthefrank? wrote:
Curious as why only 9 as well??  Also why don't they play both Homan and Soulsby at the same time?  I saw them on the floor at the same time briefly and it caused a huge mismatch for one or the other.  Twin Towers of Lafayette!!!


who would you take off the floor?
ed65

With all due respect to Soulsby, she is really thin and gets pushed around by stronger women.

Always good to see a win over Penn even though this one was really close.  Maybe this group is learning how to win.  Three road games coming up - a good test.
pardfan

So many good, important seniors.  What happens next yr?
(Peabody, Macklin, Freeland, Homan--gone.)  Lutz a huge surprise. She saw less time last yr. than almost anyone on the team.  Penn was Ivy Champ last yr.  Nice win.  Defense noticeably better than last yr.  New approach?  Homan is the best, most complete player in the League.  Army look out.
bison137

pardfan wrote:
 Penn was Ivy Champ last yr.  Nice win.  Defense noticeably better than last yr.  New approach?  Homan is the best, most complete player in the League.  Army look out.



1.  One bit of trivia about Penn. The center who led them in scoring and rebounding in the LC game, Sydney Stipanovich, is the niece of former All-American Steve Stipanovich.   Iirc he was taken #2 in the NBA draft but unfortunately is best remembered for accidentally shooting himself and then clumsily blaming it on a mythical masked burglar who supposedly had broken into his house.


2.  I think Homan is a really good player.  But as long as Army's Kelsey Minato remains in school, Homan will not be the best player in the league. In fact,  Minato, who is now a junior, has a shot to end her career as the second-best PL player ever.  She also has a very good shot to be only the second player in league history to be named POY three times, and she has a very high probability (barring injury) of being the second player to make 1st team All-PL four times.

       Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum