2017 men's bball recruiting - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Recruiting Thread > 
--- 2017 men's bball recruiting

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted:

Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.













  
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 am

BillSView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1017







bethlehempard wrote:
Using the term "we don't give a shit" is alright?
That is no way to express oneself or present oneself.
All I said was is I worry about his lack of offers...of course we wish every young students athlete all the best! Ultimately every coach is judged by the wins and loses. Tying to keep my faith that things will turn around!
_________________
Talent wins games but teamwork and intelligence wins championships!

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 am

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2081







When's the last time fans were unhappy about a coach leaving?

FB: Harry Gamble, 1970
MBB: VBK 2, 1988 (and Chipman, 1984). There were five coaches in a short stretch, Davis to Leone, and those were still relatively glorious days).
WBB: never. Young and Fisher retired from coaching the sport.

More change is needed.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:57 pm

pardfanView user's profile






Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 401







Andy wrote:
Yankeefan1922 wrote:
Kpard is right in that there are some red flags here. Stephens plays for St. Thomas Aquinas alongside Michael Akuchie who has offers from American, Colgate, Cornell and FIU. The best I can gather, Stephens held no other D1 offers.

The team the duo plays for went 13-10 this season. How does a team with two supposed D1 athletes have such a mediocre record? I saw at least a half dozen 25+ point losses, including a pair of 30+. Why is a team with two supposed D1 athletes not more competitive.

Others have questioned if we are targeting the right players. Recent results indicate that perhaps we are not. I am not trying to trash these young men. It is just that we are not seeing the results that a 250K investment warrants.


The biggest day in this young man's life, he's worked hard on the court and in the classroom, he's chosen to play for US and the reaction he gets is "What D3 schools did we beat out for him?" And we have guys supporting it! What a f'n despicable place this board has become.

A senior FB players tweeted thoughts on us:

"I hope the people on the Lafayette forum know that every football player knows about it. And we don't give a shit what you guys have to say"

There has to be a better way of expressing frustration with LC athletics than trashing HS kids.



That senior FB tweet bothers me on a whole lotta levels. As "change agents," we're trying like crazy to make things better for them and us (fans). If they've really thought this over and that's the conclusion some have reached, then these athletes aren't as smart as advertised.


Last edited by pardfan on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 am

adminView user's profile

Site Admin




Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 44







These are certainly ugly times.

There are definitely some on this board who LOVE us losing. If the news is good they ignore it, if the news is bad they pile it on. It was certainly noteworthy that when we beat AU last week in men's basketball there wasn't a thread until the game was over. Had we been losing by 30 you could be certain one of our "fans" would have been there with a full diatribe - updated as the game went on - listing everything we've done poorly in the past 30 years as well as an update on our Sagarin ratings.

And yeah - when a kid commits to us...You'd think he'd get a LITTLE love from Leopard nation!

None of us want to beat up on kids - at least I don't think anyone does. But the problem is ascertaining where the line is drawn. If I say (this is an example) "our secondary got torched" I'm basically calling out a group of 4 to 6 kids. If I make this same statement after a game where one particular player had a poor game and anyone watching the film knows it - am I guilty of picking on a kid? Hard to say.

I wish there was a way to have a board and keep the kids off of it - because despite what the Tweet says - the kids DO read it and "give a shit." As do the parents, and coaches. I've often wondered if we compound the problem on this board - but I've rarely seen anything inflammatory. I stopped updating the scorecard as I didn't see the point of continuously beating a dead horse. They are doing the study - let's see what happens. There are a few who seem to have joined simply to air their grievances about the current women's basketball coach.  

Even the most cynical comments have some merit and add something to the dialogue. That's the problem. I too want to know where kids have offers from - it's hard to know where to draw the line.

We desperately need an influx of good news.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:31 am

LafalumView user's profile






Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3888







Totally agree with your comments. The problems however are not limited to one sport, or one athlete. It is athletic program wide. People can live with a down year but when every sport, every year can't compete the problems go beyond the scope of a single reason.
That is why there is a study. If there isn't something significant accomplished by this study and changes implemented both organizationally and perhaps fiscally the powers that run our beloved institution deserve our attention and wrath on this board and from our wallets.
I have been encouraged by the developments in football and I believe we will see a vast improvement on the field this fall. Perhaps it will serve as a template for actions to soon come after april!!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:56 am

pardfanView user's profile






Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 401







I think the better question might be: What exactly is owed to the institution in return for these scholarships? What is owed by the coaches?

1.) Winning
2.) 100% effort
3.) Laudable deportment and good grades/ good citizenship
4.) All of the above
5.) None of the above

Seems like we're headed for No. 5--if we're not there already.  No.5 is not a good answer in my book.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 am

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2081







If I "loved" seeing us lose, I'd be thrilled with the programs.
I'm not. I'm a former season-ticket holder in multiple sports and I was there for some of the greatest wins, home and away. I've traveled from Buffalo to Atlanta to see games. I enjoyed those big wins a lot more (Atlanta was a blowout loss and not fun).
Most Lafayette teams, coaches and athletes aren't up to league standards. Perhaps the players would be with the right training and scheme.
The program's inadequacy is self-evident. A few fans might not want to acknowledge that. That's their call. The numbers and the recent history show the reality. I'm a numbers guy. They don't lie.
The problem is, Lafayette requires multiple cataclysms before making a change. In that sense, losing might ultimately move things forward.
There's not much more fun in being just plain bad than there is in being horrible.
There is no fun at all in a death spiral.

We do need some more good news. Garrett's appointment was great news, earth-shaking, and we will see what the Grentz era brings. A long dark walk quest in WBB but there is hope.

All I've ever really wanted and expected was that Lafayette be competitive in its league and now and then step up a class and upset a tougher opponent.

I unapologetically expect something just slightly better than mediocrity.
Not too much to ask in the scholarship era, is it?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 am

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6047







admin wrote:
These are certainly ugly times.

There are definitely some on this board who LOVE us losing. If the news is good they ignore it, if the news is bad they pile it on. It was certainly noteworthy that when we beat AU last week in men's basketball there wasn't a thread until the game was over. Had we been losing by 30 you could be certain one of our "fans" would have been there with a full diatribe - updated as the game went on - listing everything we've done poorly in the past 30 years as well as an update on our Sagarin ratings.

And yeah - when a kid commits to us...You'd think he'd get a LITTLE love from Leopard nation!

None of us want to beat up on kids - at least I don't think anyone does. But the problem is ascertaining where the line is drawn. If I say (this is an example) "our secondary got torched" I'm basically calling out a group of 4 to 6 kids. If I make this same statement after a game where one particular player had a poor game and anyone watching the film knows it - am I guilty of picking on a kid? Hard to say.

I wish there was a way to have a board and keep the kids off of it - because despite what the Tweet says - the kids DO read it and "give a shit." As do the parents, and coaches. I've often wondered if we compound the problem on this board - but I've rarely seen anything inflammatory. I stopped updating the scorecard as I didn't see the point of continuously beating a dead horse. They are doing the study - let's see what happens. There are a few who seem to have joined simply to air their grievances about the current women's basketball coach.

Even the most cynical comments have some merit and add something to the dialogue. That's the problem. I too want to know where kids have offers from - it's hard to know where to draw the line.

We desperately need an influx of good news.


Discussing game play is totally different, fans focus on the games, the strategy, the performances. That's sports.

Doing a research project when a kid signs to announce that he's subpar cause we're "change agents" is just wrong. It's unbelievable to me that an adult wouldn't see that that's offensive especially to the athletes and that the "we dont give a shit" would follow.

Aaron we've been here 20 years, admit it, this is pathetic.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

pardfanView user's profile






Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 401







As a parent of two recent grads and an old grad looking on in horror over the rapid decline in the major sports of the last few yrs....This is the bottom line:

The PL/LC  experience is total.  It isn't/wasn't just classroom stuff (although that's a major part). It's clubs, living groups, intramurals, interactions with teachers, AND ROOTING FOR THE VARSITY TEAM IN A BIG GAME CONFIDENT THE TEAM HAS A CHANCE OF WINNING.  That last part doesn't exist anymore and, as a result, recent grads are being cheated.  (They expect us to lose. We're handing over a legacy of losing to the next generation of grads that is sure to impact the bottom line at some point.) I won't have that on my conscience.  Not without a fight.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am

adminView user's profile

Site Admin




Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 44







Andy wrote:
admin wrote:
These are certainly ugly times.

There are definitely some on this board who LOVE us losing. If the news is good they ignore it, if the news is bad they pile it on. It was certainly noteworthy that when we beat AU last week in men's basketball there wasn't a thread until the game was over. Had we been losing by 30 you could be certain one of our "fans" would have been there with a full diatribe - updated as the game went on - listing everything we've done poorly in the past 30 years as well as an update on our Sagarin ratings.

And yeah - when a kid commits to us...You'd think he'd get a LITTLE love from Leopard nation!

None of us want to beat up on kids - at least I don't think anyone does. But the problem is ascertaining where the line is drawn. If I say (this is an example) "our secondary got torched" I'm basically calling out a group of 4 to 6 kids. If I make this same statement after a game where one particular player had a poor game and anyone watching the film knows it - am I guilty of picking on a kid? Hard to say.

I wish there was a way to have a board and keep the kids off of it - because despite what the Tweet says - the kids DO read it and "give a shit." As do the parents, and coaches. I've often wondered if we compound the problem on this board - but I've rarely seen anything inflammatory. I stopped updating the scorecard as I didn't see the point of continuously beating a dead horse. They are doing the study - let's see what happens. There are a few who seem to have joined simply to air their grievances about the current women's basketball coach.

Even the most cynical comments have some merit and add something to the dialogue. That's the problem. I too want to know where kids have offers from - it's hard to know where to draw the line.

We desperately need an influx of good news.


Discussing game play is totally different, fans focus on the games, the strategy, the performances. That's sports.

Doing a research project when a kid signs to announce that he's subpar cause we're "change agents" is just wrong. It's unbelievable to me that an adult wouldn't see that that's offensive especially to the athletes and that the "we dont give a shit" would follow.

Aaron we've been here 20 years, admit it, this is pathetic.


I remember when we signed Jared Mintz who was lighting up the Toronto Jewish League. I mocked those credentials pretty hard! He turned out pretty OK to say the least - and my concern that he would somehow be "soft" because of the competition proved laughable...

I like to think that was my last time questioning a recruit.  

We can definitely do better. I'll give you that.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6047







admin wrote:


I remember when we signed Jared Mintz who was lighting up the Toronto Jewish League. I mocked those credentials pretty hard! He turned out pretty OK to say the least - and my concern that he would somehow be "soft" because of the competition proved laughable...

I like to think that was my last time questioning a recruit.

We can definitely do better. I'll give you that.


IMO nothing wrong with mentioning a kid's offers or lack of same. It's usually prominently displayed on the player's recruiting pages. We do it at our peril - how many offers did Andy Romans have, Curley, Seth, Tony?
But don't compare that to a kid's signing announcement being greeted with a "what D-3 did we steal him from" or a research project of his team to justify your desired negative conclusion. If the "fight" includes disparaging a kid on his signing day, something is wrong.

Yeah, there's the daily Sagarin update, like we didn't know a team with 1 senior and 3 freshmen playing major mins wouldn't be too competitive. A lot has happened since the championship in 2015. Not much good. But, the dramatic "no hope." Please. The development of guys like Mintz, Tony, Trist, Klenewski over their careers speaks for itself, let's see how these freshmen progress. I love the history lessons, too. Quote Fran's record but don't dare blame an administration that had him playing for YEARS w/out scholarships in a scholarship league. Things like that and Weiss' budget cuts do immediate and long term damage. HS coaches take notice and form opinions.  A program isn't instantly "on par" when scholarships are instituted finally or a budget restored.

All of us would like the recruiting to improve especially in the area of more African Americans. (not that I have any idea how difficult it might be to attract players to the Hill). Maybe down the road instead of paying a HC 350k, make it 250k and pay some quality, experienced AA assistants. Wage the fight but I'm not going to stand by while our "fans" knock kids on their signing day as if that's ok. Actually have at it cause I'm done.


Last edited by Andy on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 am

BillSView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1017







Andy wrote:
admin wrote:


I remember when we signed Jared Mintz who was lighting up the Toronto Jewish League. I mocked those credentials pretty hard! He turned out pretty OK to say the least - and my concern that he would somehow be "soft" because of the competition proved laughable...

I like to think that was my last time questioning a recruit.

We can definitely do better. I'll give you that.


IMO nothing wrong with mentioning a kid's offers or lack of same. It's usually prominently displayed on the player's recruiting pages. We do it at our peril - how many offers did Andy Romans have, Curley, Seth, Tony?
But don't compare that to a kid's signing announcement being greeted with a "what D-3 did we steal him from" or a research project of his team to justify your desired negative conclusion. If the "fight" includes disparaging a kid on his signing day, something is wrong.

Yeah, there's the daily Sagarin update, like we didn't know a team with 1 senior and 3 freshmen playing major mins wouldn't be too competitive. A lot has happened since the championship in 2015. Not much good. But, the dramatic "no hope." Please. The development of guys like Mintz, Tony, Trist, Klenewski over their careers speaks for itself, let's see how these freshmen progress. I love the history lessons, too. Quote Fran's record but don't dare blame an administration that had him playing for YEARS w/out scholarships in a scholarship league.

All of us would like the recruiting to improve especially in the area of more African Americans. (not that I have any idea how difficult it might be to attract players to the Hill). Maybe down the road instead of paying a HC 350k, make it 250k and pay some quality, experienced AA assistants. Wage the fight but I'm not going to stand by while our "fans" knock kids on their signing day as if that's ok. Actually have at it cause I'm done.
I agree Andy sorry if my words sound a little negative at times.
_________________
Talent wins games but teamwork and intelligence wins championships!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 pm

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2081







Prep Hoops lists this comment from Stotts last year:

I know a lot of these schools want that 6-foot-5 type shooting guard and combo guard, and they may overlook me because Im 6-foot-3. Belmont and Lipscomb and Morehead are all just waiting to see if they get the players they want, and if not, I think theyll fall back on me, said Stotts.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

LC Local FanView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 209







Alexander Petrie '17 finished his illustrious career with 2,017 points!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 am

KpardView user's profile






Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 1262


Location: Bethlehem





LC Local Fan wrote:
Alexander Petrie '17 finished his illustrious career with 2,017 points!


Impressive. Congrats to him.
_________________
GO PARDS!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 pm

adcs2View user's profile






Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 272







Pards offer '17 PG Justin Jaworski from Perk Valley

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 am

adcs2View user's profile






Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 272







Also offered '18 F Ryan Young from Bethlehem Catholic

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:31 pm

bison137View user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1367







adcs2 wrote:
Pards offer '17 PG Justin Jaworski from Perk Valley



Jaworski committed to LC today.   Also had an offer from American.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6047







Although not mentioned in the article, may have had some interest for football, too. On Coach JG's following list. WR.

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.c..._article/show/775902?referrer_id=

So, up to 12 scholarships on roster for 2018.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 492







Jaworski is a question mark. Although he had amazing statistics- Averaged 22+ ppg and had a lot of three's - besides American all his other offers were DII.

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 6 of 7
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum