morning call - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Whatever else > 
--- morning call

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Pards RuleView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1897


Location: Cherry Hill, NJ





OK what if Sigma Nu or whatever it is called now is preserved, college moves Mojo into that and then starts the next building housing the bookstore and Campus Pizza? Im assuming the street that comes off of the LC entrance over to Cattell Ave (what is name?) is erased in this plan? So that way, I submit you have Campus Pizza at March, and going toward the downtown, the bookstore and cleaners (if they want to be there) and then the reprised Sigma Nu serving as the Mojo Coffehouse overlooking downtown (clear out a few trees for better view on the hill).

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 am

Pards RuleView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1897


Location: Cherry Hill, NJ





Im really intrigued with the idea of what I proposed.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:59 am

NewXboView user's profile






Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 815







Pards Rule wrote:
Im really intrigued with the idea of what I proposed.


Yeah, all you have to do now is send that big check.
_________________
Social Media - A toxic crucible of negativity

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Pards RuleView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1897


Location: Cherry Hill, NJ





NewXbo wrote:
Pards Rule wrote:
Im really intrigued with the idea of what I proposed.


Yeah, all you have to do now is send that big check.


Yeah as if they dont have enough of that already. Maybe I can mine my charitable foundation for it!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:59 pm

flyfisherView user's profile






Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 1306







So for the past few weeks I have read these articles and looked at the buildings downtown and around Campus Pizza. I don't know all you guys know about LC and Easton but in my opinion, this looks like the best move the college has made since I started caring about LC. Even the elevator/tram makes sense to me, especially with 80 admin/overhead jobs of LC moving downtown. And the the Williams building and planned future growth, it makes sense to me. The tram could actually be a cool feature kinda like the tram in Pittsburgh going from the parks up to the restaurants overlooking Pittsburgh.

I now also see what matters to Byerly and the BOT, and it probably should. This is the future and the growth of the College. The current state of Football and athletics is just a fly in the soup. It only really matters if and when it would slow down alumni donations.

Gotta admit, the growth and future of the college is the most important issue. The College is almost landlocked and this gives them an avenue to expand.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 pm

LafalumView user's profile






Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3889







flyfisher wrote:
So for the past few weeks I have read these articles and looked at the buildings downtown and around Campus Pizza. I don't know all you guys know about LC and Easton but in my opinion, this looks like the best move the college has made since I started caring about LC. Even the elevator/tram makes sense to me, especially with 80 admin/overhead jobs of LC moving downtown. And the the Williams building and planned future growth, it makes sense to me. The tram could actually be a cool feature kinda like the tram in Pittsburgh going from the parks up to the restaurants overlooking Pittsburgh.

I now also see what matters to Byerly and the BOT, and it probably should. This is the future and the growth of the College. The current state of Football and athletics is just a fly in the soup. It only really matters if and when it would slow down alumni donations.

Gotta admit, the growth and future of the college is the most important issue. The College is almost landlocked and this gives them an avenue to expand.


The Mayor disagrees and calls it a waste of money. The staff is all the way by the circle, they will not be using the elevator. A shuttle is a more economic solution. The ten million could be used elsewhere as a lump sum or as income to apply to hiring decent coaches and assistants. A robust athletic department is far better asset to Easton and the College.
The college still owns significant property east of the campus and out near Metzgar to house staff or maybe for a graduate campus.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:28 pm

ed65View user's profile






Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 856


Location: New York City





Totally agree with Lafalum on this one.  The funicular is a terrible idea when shuttle buses make so much sense.  I also agree with fly's suggestion that Byerly is about the future of the College.  I'm not sure athletics is a "fly" on that.  I truly think she can be turned around on athletics especially if it positively benefits fund raising.  She is a reasonable person IMHO.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:41 pm

flyfisherView user's profile






Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 1306







i saw the mayor was against it. not sure his opinion really matters. The College appears to be a driving force for the town. Personally I like it. Employees may not use it but students will.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:58 pm

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2082







I'm for the elevator. I walk up those steps a couple times per year but that's not why. It will bring activity to an overlooked part of the campus and provide a link to town. The mayor's opposition may be sincere, may be for public consumption (tax dollars are at stake) or may be a ploy.
He can't stop it from happening but maybe he can get something out of the college.
It's not as though every new dollar comes down to sports vs. something else. There is a lot going on, on The Hill and downtown.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:44 am

BPardView user's profile






Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Posts: 208







My understanding with the elevator is that it will connect Buck Hall to the rest of campus so it is focused for students and the Arts Campus - not the admin jobs moving downtown.

The mayor thinks it is a waste of money (but Easton's money so he doesn't really care) because he thinks the College should have the city seize the Bushkill Drive private property, build that up to a new 8 story building, and then create a skyway across to connect with the rest of the campus.

That certainly is a big vision, but it relies on a lot more money, the city seizing private property to turn it over to the College, and a much bigger construction project. Thumbs down to Mr. Mayor on this one.

Also, its not going to be $10m in College money because the state is kicking in half.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 am

leopard88View user's profile






Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 370







flyfisher wrote:
i saw the mayor was against it. not sure his opinion really matters. The College appears to be a driving force for the town. Personally I like it. Employees may not use it but students will.


Agreed.

One other thing to consider --
The elevator would certainly be a memorable landmark for the public and prospective students. I believe that carries intangible value.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:08 am

LafalumView user's profile






Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3889







leopard88 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
i saw the mayor was against it. not sure his opinion really matters. The College appears to be a driving force for the town. Personally I like it. Employees may not use it but students will.


Agreed.

One other thing to consider --
The elevator would certainly be a memorable landmark for the public and prospective students. I believe that carries intangible value.


Having been a generous donor over the years, I still think it is a boondoggle and waste of money that could be used for more important projects. Is this really the best use of money, even if "only" 5 mio?? It does make me less likely to donate to the general fund rather than a specific endowment.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 am

2012PardView user's profile






Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 189







leopard88 wrote:

One other thing to consider --
The elevator would certainly be a memorable landmark for the public and prospective students. I believe that carries intangible value.


I, on the other hand, anticipate that the Great Glass Elevator will quickly become an embarrassing eyesore.  My fearless prediction:

-Within one month of opening, the elevator will reek of urine.

-Within three months of opening, graffiti of an offensive nature will be prominently displayed in or on the elevator.

-By the end of the elevator's first winter, its exterior will be filthy.  The college will clean its exterior once per year, over the summer, leaving it as a filthy eyesore for the entire spring semester.

-Several times per year, one or more windows in the elevator will be broken.  The College will take several months to replace the window on each occasion, leaving the elevator unavailable for use more often than not.  After several cycles of this, President Byerly will send a "This is why we can't have nice things" email to the college community, and the elevator will be abandoned, left prominently displayed on the hillside as a constant reminder of the administration's poor decisions.

-The abandoned elevator's structure becomes a popular destination for inebriated students to climb upon.  Somebody gets themselves killed, college finally removes the structure.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 am

NewXboView user's profile






Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 815







2012Pard wrote:
leopard88 wrote:

One other thing to consider --
The elevator would certainly be a memorable landmark for the public and prospective students. I believe that carries intangible value.


I, on the other hand, anticipate that the Great Glass Elevator will quickly become an embarrassing eyesore. My fearless prediction:

-Within one month of opening, the elevator will reek of urine.

-Within three months of opening, graffiti of an offensive nature will be prominently displayed in or on the elevator.

-By the end of the elevator's first winter, its exterior will be filthy. The college will clean its exterior once per year, over the summer, leaving it as a filthy eyesore for the entire spring semester.

-Several times per year, one or more windows in the elevator will be broken. The College will take several months to replace the window on each occasion, leaving the elevator unavailable for use more often than not. After several cycles of this, President Byerly will send a "This is why we can't have nice things" email to the college community, and the elevator will be abandoned, left prominently displayed on the hillside as a constant reminder of the administration's poor decisions.

-The abandoned elevator's structure becomes a popular destination for inebriated students to climb upon. Somebody gets themselves killed, college finally removes the structure.



Yup

They already have a bus that goes to Metzger and the Mall, just expand it to downtown Easton.
_________________
Social Media - A toxic crucible of negativity

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm

LafalumView user's profile






Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3889







NewXbo wrote:
2012Pard wrote:
leopard88 wrote:

One other thing to consider --
The elevator would certainly be a memorable landmark for the public and prospective students. I believe that carries intangible value.


I, on the other hand, anticipate that the Great Glass Elevator will quickly become an embarrassing eyesore. My fearless prediction:

-Within one month of opening, the elevator will reek of urine.

-Within three months of opening, graffiti of an offensive nature will be prominently displayed in or on the elevator.

-By the end of the elevator's first winter, its exterior will be filthy. The college will clean its exterior once per year, over the summer, leaving it as a filthy eyesore for the entire spring semester.

-Several times per year, one or more windows in the elevator will be broken. The College will take several months to replace the window on each occasion, leaving the elevator unavailable for use more often than not. After several cycles of this, President Byerly will send a "This is why we can't have nice things" email to the college community, and the elevator will be abandoned, left prominently displayed on the hillside as a constant reminder of the administration's poor decisions.

-The abandoned elevator's structure becomes a popular destination for inebriated students to climb upon. Somebody gets themselves killed, college finally removes the structure.



Yup

They already have a bus that goes to Metzger and the Mall, just expand it to downtown Easton.


Add to the above maintenance issues during the winter, stuck and frozen machinery. To me it's simple, what is the best use of funds, an elevator or......? You fill in the blanks. The arts center was not fully paid for. I do know of one donor who has not paid their pledge for the past two years!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:38 pm

leopard88View user's profile






Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 370







Perhaps my years of watching every autumn leaf on campus disappear before 9:00 a.m. has engendered too much trust in the ability of the college to keep the elevator in good working order.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 pm

WVPardView user's profile






Joined: 06 Oct 2016
Posts: 48


Location: The Mountain State





Will new prospective students flock to LC because of an elevator/incline?

The facilities have improved so much since my time on the Hill in the late 80's that I've almost forgotten how crappy many of the facilities actually were.  The Wombats did a great job maintaining everything and keeping the campus beautiful, but for the most part, the buildings were just dated during that time period.

It all looks and feels way nicer now.  So, imagine the $10 large continuing those improvements, and purchasing a couple of nice eco-friendly buses to shuttle kids around (like basically every other school with a larger footprint).
That just seems to make more sense.

As for Sal Jr., he is just happy that the school is finally taking up some commercial space in the downtown.
_________________
Let's rock some dome!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:43 pm

ed65View user's profile






Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 856


Location: New York City





2012Pard wrote:
leopard88 wrote:

One other thing to consider --
The elevator would certainly be a memorable landmark for the public and prospective students. I believe that carries intangible value.


I, on the other hand, anticipate that the Great Glass Elevator will quickly become an embarrassing eyesore. My fearless prediction:

-Within one month of opening, the elevator will reek of urine.

-Within three months of opening, graffiti of an offensive nature will be prominently displayed in or on the elevator.

-By the end of the elevator's first winter, its exterior will be filthy. The college will clean its exterior once per year, over the summer, leaving it as a filthy eyesore for the entire spring semester.

-Several times per year, one or more windows in the elevator will be broken. The College will take several months to replace the window on each occasion, leaving the elevator unavailable for use more often than not. After several cycles of this, President Byerly will send a "This is why we can't have nice things" email to the college community, and the elevator will be abandoned, left prominently displayed on the hillside as a constant reminder of the administration's poor decisions.

-The abandoned elevator's structure becomes a popular destination for inebriated students to climb upon. Somebody gets themselves killed, college finally removes the structure.


LOL!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:41 am

flyfisherView user's profile






Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 1306







Pards Rule wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Pards Rule - it looks as if eminent domain will not be necessary. Apparently the college already owns all the buildings (including Campus Pizza) that are going to be razed.

Click here for a look at the proposed layout.

I know nothing about it, but it seems to me that Campus Pizza would remain where it is, except it will be in a new building ("Building 2") with student housing in the upper floors.

Also I recall that the original Dan Weiss master plan calls for underground parking in the footprint where Watson Courts now sit (SW corner of McCartney Street and Clinton Terrace). No big loss there - IMHO Watson Courts are the very worst of Lafayette's housing inventory.


Agreed but back in my day (1980-84) they were the bomb and everyone wanted to live there! Shows you what 35 years will do to a place. Anyways, I dont see a diner speced out? If so, I would propose it to be on the parcel where the Gulf station sat across from Wawa. Thats the ONLY reasonable place. It looks like they are retaining some of the buildings that exist (maybe LC doesnt own those?) which is nice in an incorporation aspect to integrate the new with the old. I think it will look sterile to say the least coming in there and bulldozing and putting up the equivalent of a New Urbanism complex. That would defeat the purpose and tradition I submit. I would like to see the bookstore incorporated in the Building 2 with Campus Pizza - I can see an adjoining layout and then incorporating a Mojo coffee shop in there also. I recall the parking garage concept for Watson Courts area. Do I see in this plan where Sigma Nu will be demolished? Does the admin read these suggestions?


Just a note on Watson Courts, you now have to sign a waiver to live there that says you will not sue the college due to the asbestos in the buildings. What does that tell you?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:45 am

flyfisherView user's profile






Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 1306







Pards Rule wrote:
Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Pards Rule - it looks as if eminent domain will not be necessary. Apparently the college already owns all the buildings (including Campus Pizza) that are going to be razed.

Click here for a look at the proposed layout.

I know nothing about it, but it seems to me that Campus Pizza would remain where it is, except it will be in a new building ("Building 2") with student housing in the upper floors.

Also I recall that the original Dan Weiss master plan calls for underground parking in the footprint where Watson Courts now sit (SW corner of McCartney Street and Clinton Terrace). No big loss there - IMHO Watson Courts are the very worst of Lafayette's housing inventory.


Agreed but back in my day (1980-84) they were the bomb and everyone wanted to live there! Shows you what 35 years will do to a place. Anyways, I dont see a diner speced out? If so, I would propose it to be on the parcel where the Gulf station sat across from Wawa. Thats the ONLY reasonable place. It looks like they are retaining some of the buildings that exist (maybe LC doesnt own those?) which is nice in an incorporation aspect to integrate the new with the old. I think it will look sterile to say the least coming in there and bulldozing and putting up the equivalent of a New Urbanism complex. That would defeat the purpose and tradition I submit. I would like to see the bookstore incorporated in the Building 2 with Campus Pizza - I can see an adjoining layout and then incorporating a Mojo coffee shop in there also. I recall the parking garage concept for Watson Courts area. Do I see in this plan where Sigma Nu will be demolished? Does the admin read these suggestions?


Just a note on Watson Courts, you now have to sign a waiver to live there that says you will not sue the college due to the asbestos in the buildings. What does that tell you?

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum