Weiss at Met - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Whatever else > 
--- Weiss at Met

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:51 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 506







For anyone interested there is a full page article in yesterday's Wall Street Jurnal about how Weiss plans to save the Met.No mention of Lafayette - Haverford is mentioned a couple of times.

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 am

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2136







Weiss is taking over the Met, as CEO and president.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/0...l?referer=https://www.google.com/

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 506







Too bad for the MET.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:49 am

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2136







I think he will do well. The Met is a great international institution, and a focus on stability should work there over the promotion of expensive short-term shows. The collection is already spectacular.
Weiss will have to deal with the Breuer; I suspect it won't last as a Met adjunct. The Cloisters is a gem. The Breuer is worth a visit and has a good restaurant and bar, but it's not high on my list as a museum destination.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:56 am

MaroonerView user's profile






Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Posts: 154


Location: Allentown





Another venture to support what we all suspected... there's nothing wrong with President Weiss, but he was a terrible fit for a school with Division I athletics.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:26 pm

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1878


Location: Bethlehem, PA





Marooner wrote:
Another venture to support what we all suspected... there's nothing wrong with President Weiss, but he was a terrible fit for a school with Division I athletics.


Given how long he lasted at Haverford I'm not sure he was a good fit for the position of college president.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5880


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





The NYT piece touts Dan's (less than two year) tenure at Haverford over his much longer (and arguably more productive) reign in Easton. But isn't Lafayette really the better known (and more prestigious) college at this point? Perhaps Met regulars think not. But I'll bet if you poll a hundred typical NYT readers, a plurality would consider Lafayette the stronger institution.

Should the New York Times ask its readers, "where would you rather send your son or daughter?" - the answer might surprise. Rolling Eyes

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:15 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 506







It's pretty obvious I am no fan of Weiss's but Haverford is a college Lafayette aspires to emulate academically. Haverford is generally regarded as a top 5 small college along with Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore and  Harvey Mudd or Claremont-McKenna.Lafayette is generally regarded as in the top 50 but no more than in the 30's nationally.All of Haverford's peers are DIII and neither Haverford nor Swarthmore has a football team, both having decided football was too much of a drain on academics even at DIII level.Nevertheless I don't think Weiss left too many friends at Haverford after his precipitous departure to go to the MET.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:23 am

LafalumView user's profile






Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3916







SixtyEighter wrote:
It's pretty obvious I am no fan of Weiss's but Haverford is a college Lafayette aspires to emulate academically. Haverford is generally regarded as a top 5 small college along with Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore and Harvey Mudd or Claremont-McKenna.Lafayette is generally regarded as in the top 50 but no more than in the 30's nationally.All of Haverford's peers are DIII and neither Haverford nor Swarthmore has a football team, both having decided football was too much of a drain on academics even at DIII level.Nevertheless I don't think Weiss left too many friends at Haverford after his precipitous departure to go to the MET.


Don't forget he hung around Lafayette  for a year after accepting his position at Haverford to collect his bonus at Lafayette then screwed Haverford.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 am

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1878


Location: Bethlehem, PA





Bogus Megapardus wrote:
The NYT piece touts Dan's (less than two year) tenure at Haverford over his much longer (and arguably more productive) reign in Easton. But isn't Lafayette really the better known (and more prestigious) college at this point? Perhaps Met regulars think not. But I'll bet if you poll a hundred typical NYT readers, a plurality would consider Lafayette the stronger institution.

Should the New York Times ask its readers, "where would you rather send your son or daughter?" - the answer might surprise. Rolling Eyes


Except for the young woman I know who is going to Easton in August after being wait-listed at Haverford. We were her safety school.

That's not the school I want to get into a "whose is bigger" contest.

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:37 pm

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum