2018 Football Recruiting - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Recruiting Thread > 
--- 2018 Football Recruiting

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted:

Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.













  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 am

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Early signing period is a reality. Wow!:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-f...aa-early-signing-period-date-2017

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1211







I wonder how NSD mania in Feb will be now. New SD period only 72 hrs. Should be fun. Do PL schools have 2 media days for announcements?
Most of PL's verbals were in well before the end of Dec.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

MaroonerView user's profile






Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Posts: 154


Location: Allentown





A coach (not at Lafayette, but similar level) once told me that he hates early recruiting because "every player thinks Nick Saban is about to call." A December signing period could alleviate some of that and, by the time we get to the traditional February signing day, high school players will have a more realistic picture of what their options are.

On the other hand, depending on how many bigger schools embrace the December signing period, the PL and similar conferences might see a decrease in the number of "stretch" recruits they get... that is, guys who could probably contribute at a slightly higher level but land in our league.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:00 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 506







What prevents de-committing and poaching in the interim period ?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1211







Well the NLI signed in Dec same as that signed in Feb. Neither actually legally enfofceable but as a practical matter it does work to severely limit other choices that the kid might have if he doesnt get a release from that school.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:34 am

MaroonerView user's profile






Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Posts: 154


Location: Allentown





SixtyEighter wrote:
What prevents de-committing and poaching in the interim period ?

This might be an oversimplified (or incomplete) definition, but in the context of your question, basically the NLI is like being drafted by that team. You can refuse to play after you sign, but you also can't play anywhere else without that team's permission for a certain period of time (typically one season unless it's a special circumstance like another team in the same conference).

Won't be offended if those with more insight want to add/correct... that's just the explanation that has always worked for me.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:25 am

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1211







Not quite that cut and dried but similar to the situation for a decommit. May be true as to other conference teams. Usually the school will release the kid figuring why waste a spot on a recruit who wants to go elsewhere.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:33 am

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Yeah, S/A would have to seek a release or take a one year hold and eligibility loss. An admissions denial frees you up, might be more of an issue now with everything moved up.

Coaches on the road. Saw an offer by Coach Luke. Only 43 behind Holy Cross! Shocked  Doesn't worry me with JG in charge, there is a plan.  We are even in the win column though.

Offer:

Will Anderson C 6-2 280 Delbarton  others inc. FBS

Source: 247 sports

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm

PardDad71View user's profile






Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 166







As usual the National Communists Against Athletes continues to kow-tow to the power programs and run rampant over the student athletes it pretends to protect.

I am against the ES period, really for 3 reasons.  First, I believe it will lead to power programs making even more verbal offers, but then failing to provide an early NLI to kids it knows it doesn't want.   They will do this to prevent the athletes from small programs or who may not have been noticed by Rivals etc from slipping through the cracks and signing with a smaller school.  So the offer a kid they want to walk on.   Tell the kid he will get an NLI for the Feb date.   Then tell him they want him to walk on....the imfamous "Preferred Walk On".   Second, it will lead to schools gaming the system, NLI a kid who has academic issues and know you can cut him lose "for not gaining admissions" later.   Third schools will delay firing coaches until after the early NLI period, hoping to snag a couple commits.

The one benefit is allowing Officials in Apr-Jun of Junior year.   Of course I think it is stupid the kids are limited to 5 officials.  This made sense 30 years ago when a non athlete would apply to 3-5 schools.  Now non athletes apply to a dozen schools.   Why not give the kids at least 7, especially since the period is longer now.

As usual, they will never address the absurdity of making any verbal offers prior to a kids Junior year.

But I am sure the NCAA will continue to make sure its athletes are its primary concern

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Unofficial and incomplete, posted as we find published confirmation:

2018 Verbal Commitments:

1) Chandler Harvin WR 6-1 180 Bartram Trail Jacksonville, FL 9/12/16
Wyoming Seminary for 2017



2018 Published Offers:

1) Will Anderson C 6-2 280 Delbarton others inc. FBS

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4067104/will-andersen

Source: 247 sports (Note: on 5/9 Anderson was removed from LC "offer" list. His profile still reflects an LC offer)

2) Grayson Crozier LB 6-0 195 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4417190/grayson-crozier

Source: twitter 5/9

3) Cole Caterbone WR 6-0 175 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5280278/cole-caterbone

Source: twitter 5/9

4) Ryan Rhoden DB 6-2 170 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5025767/ryan-rhoden

Source: twitter 5/9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Last edited by Andy on Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 am

PardsfriendView user's profile






Joined: 06 Oct 2014
Posts: 121







PardDad71 wrote:
As usual the National Communists Against Athletes continues to kow-tow to the power programs and run rampant over the student athletes it pretends to protect.

I am against the ES period, really for 3 reasons. First, I believe it will lead to power programs making even more verbal offers, but then failing to provide an early NLI to kids it knows it doesn't want. They will do this to prevent the athletes from small programs or who may not have been noticed by Rivals etc from slipping through the cracks and signing with a smaller school. So the offer a kid they want to walk on. Tell the kid he will get an NLI for the Feb date. Then tell him they want him to walk on....the imfamous "Preferred Walk On". Second, it will lead to schools gaming the system, NLI a kid who has academic issues and know you can cut him lose "for not gaining admissions" later. Third schools will delay firing coaches until after the early NLI period, hoping to snag a couple commits.

The one benefit is allowing Officials in Apr-Jun of Junior year. Of course I think it is stupid the kids are limited to 5 officials. This made sense 30 years ago when a non athlete would apply to 3-5 schools. Now non athletes apply to a dozen schools. Why not give the kids at least 7, especially since the period is longer now.

As usual, they will never address the absurdity of making any verbal offers prior to a kids Junior year.

But I am sure the NCAA will continue to make sure its athletes are its primary concern


 There is a very important reason why the NCAA limits official visits.
And that is because under NCAA rules, the cost of bearing an official visit is at the expense of the host institution.  Depending on the size of the program, especially in football, (in other sports as well),the expenses can be significant to the school and program.   That's the reason for limiting 'official' visits. That doesn't stop any recruit from taking an unofficial visit where he, or she bears the cost.  And by the way, schools and coaches notice these visit (s).

Imho, you find out a lot about a school when you visit on your own terms.

My kid took an unofficial visit to Lafayette in the summer as a rising senior, was offered in November and signed his NLI in February of his senior year.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:17 pm

PardDad71View user's profile






Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 166







Pardsfriend wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
As usual the National Communists Against Athletes continues to kow-tow to the power programs and run rampant over the student athletes it pretends to protect.

I am against the ES period, really for 3 reasons. First, I believe it will lead to power programs making even more verbal offers, but then failing to provide an early NLI to kids it knows it doesn't want. They will do this to prevent the athletes from small programs or who may not have been noticed by Rivals etc from slipping through the cracks and signing with a smaller school. So the offer a kid they want to walk on. Tell the kid he will get an NLI for the Feb date. Then tell him they want him to walk on....the imfamous "Preferred Walk On". Second, it will lead to schools gaming the system, NLI a kid who has academic issues and know you can cut him lose "for not gaining admissions" later. Third schools will delay firing coaches until after the early NLI period, hoping to snag a couple commits.

The one benefit is allowing Officials in Apr-Jun of Junior year. Of course I think it is stupid the kids are limited to 5 officials. This made sense 30 years ago when a non athlete would apply to 3-5 schools. Now non athletes apply to a dozen schools. Why not give the kids at least 7, especially since the period is longer now.

As usual, they will never address the absurdity of making any verbal offers prior to a kids Junior year.

But I am sure the NCAA will continue to make sure its athletes are its primary concern


There is a very important reason why the NCAA limits official visits.
And that is because under NCAA rules, the cost of bearing an official visit is at the expense of the host institution. Depending on the size of the program, especially in football, (in other sports as well),the expenses can be significant to the school and program. That's the reason for limiting 'official' visits. That doesn't stop any recruit from taking an unofficial visit where he, or she bears the cost. And by the way, schools and coaches notice these visit (s).

Imho, you find out a lot about a school when you visit on your own terms.

My kid took an unofficial visit to Lafayette in the summer as a rising senior, was offered in November and signed his NLI in February of his senior year.



Not sure I understand the cost argument.   You are still only allowed one per school.   so no one institution would be burdened by more cost.  And I would argue, the NCAA has more than enough money to subsidize programs for paying for these official visits.  Additionally it unfairly limits lower income kids from visiting schools further away

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 pm

PardsfriendView user's profile






Joined: 06 Oct 2014
Posts: 121







PardDad71 wrote:
Pardsfriend wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
As usual the National Communists Against Athletes continues to kow-tow to the power programs and run rampant over the student athletes it pretends to protect.

I am against the ES period, really for 3 reasons. First, I believe it will lead to power programs making even more verbal offers, but then failing to provide an early NLI to kids it knows it doesn't want. They will do this to prevent the athletes from small programs or who may not have been noticed by Rivals etc from slipping through the cracks and signing with a smaller school. So the offer a kid they want to walk on. Tell the kid he will get an NLI for the Feb date. Then tell him they want him to walk on....the imfamous "Preferred Walk On". Second, it will lead to schools gaming the system, NLI a kid who has academic issues and know you can cut him lose "for not gaining admissions" later. Third schools will delay firing coaches until after the early NLI period, hoping to snag a couple commits.

The one benefit is allowing Officials in Apr-Jun of Junior year. Of course I think it is stupid the kids are limited to 5 officials. This made sense 30 years ago when a non athlete would apply to 3-5 schools. Now non athletes apply to a dozen schools. Why not give the kids at least 7, especially since the period is longer now.

As usual, they will never address the absurdity of making any verbal offers prior to a kids Junior year.

But I am sure the NCAA will continue to make sure its athletes are its primary concern


There is a very important reason why the NCAA limits official visits.
And that is because under NCAA rules, the cost of bearing an official visit is at the expense of the host institution. Depending on the size of the program, especially in football, (in other sports as well),the expenses can be significant to the school and program. That's the reason for limiting 'official' visits. That doesn't stop any recruit from taking an unofficial visit where he, or she bears the cost. And by the way, schools and coaches notice these visit (s).

Imho, you find out a lot about a school when you visit on your own terms.

My kid took an unofficial visit to Lafayette in the summer as a rising senior, was offered in November and signed his NLI in February of his senior year.



Not sure I understand the cost argument. You are still only allowed one per school. so no one institution would be burdened by more cost. And I would argue, the NCAA has more than enough money to subsidize programs for paying for these official visits. Additionally it unfairly limits lower income kids from visiting schools further away


  I didn't say it was fair, but cost is a factor in the overall recruiting budget on visits.

 But with unofficial visits, a kid can visit one school multiple times.

Imho,bathe system makes programs focus upon kids whom they are serious about recruiting, since the school (program) is paying for the official visits.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:57 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Unofficial and incomplete, posted as we find published confirmation:

2018 Verbal Commitments:

1) Chandler Harvin WR 6-1 180 Bartram Trail Jacksonville, FL 9/12/16
Wyoming Seminary for 2017



2018 Published Offers:

1) Will Anderson C 6-2 280 Delbarton others inc. FBS

Source: 247 sports (Note: on 5/9 Anderson was removed from LC "offer" list. His profile still reflects an LC offer)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4067104/will-andersen

2) Grayson Crozier LB 6-0 195 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4417190/grayson-crozier

Source: twitter 5/9

3) Cole Caterbone WR 6-0 175 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5280278/cole-caterbone

Source: twitter 5/9

4) Ryan Rhoden DB 6-2 170 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5025767/ryan-rhoden

Source: twitter 5/9

5) Neil Azar OL 6-4 285 Granby HS VA

Source: twitter 5/30 (also FAU)

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5390373/5830a844c124de2ef4a1fc9a

http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/757football/ivy-league-nike-opening-neal-azar/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had inserted a beautiful pic of campus here from LC website in my original post. Apparently this didn't sit well with someone for some reason. The pic has been made private. Wouldn't want an alum using it to show off the campus to prospective footballers. Let's see what they do with this one, apparently snapped when field was being stripped for new turf:



http://www.tailgatershandbook.com/Images/L%20Images/Lafayette/laf1.jpg

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:12 am

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Our first 1-day camp this Saturday, LF&G on Sunday. Maybe a few offers next week. The staff is taking a contrarian approach.

Offers:

HC -         94 (breezy, thanks)
Colgate -   44  (63, thanks)
Lehigh -     23  (thanks, Rich)

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:08 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 506







Azar ? Anyway to find out if offeree related to George Azar who was a football and wrestling  standout at Michigan State and coached at Lafayette on Harry Gamble's staff and served later with Gamble in an administrative capacity with the Eagles during the Braman ownership era ?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5880


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





Andy wrote:

Our first 1-day camp this Saturday, LF&G on Sunday.


God Bless and never-ending prayers for Lauren Loose. She's about 20 years old now, I believe.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:58 am

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Unofficial and incomplete, posted as we find published confirmation:

2018 Verbal Commitments:

1) Chandler Harvin WR 6-1 180 Bartram Trail Jacksonville, FL 9/12/16
Wyoming Seminary for 2017



2018 Published Offers:

1) Will Anderson C 6-2 280 Delbarton others inc. FBS

Source: 247 sports (Note: on 5/9 Anderson was removed from LC "offer" list. His profile still reflects an LC offer)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4067104/will-andersen

2) Grayson Crozier LB 6-0 195 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4417190/grayson-crozier

Source: twitter 5/9

3) Cole Caterbone WR 6-0 175 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5280278/cole-caterbone

Source: twitter 5/9

4) Ryan Rhoden DB 6-2 170 St. Thomas Aquinas FL

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5025767/ryan-rhoden

Source: twitter 5/9

5) Neil Azar OL 6-4 285 Granby HS VA

Source: twitter 5/30 (also FAU)

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5390373/5830a844c124de2ef4a1fc9a

http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/757football/ivy-league-nike-opening-neal-azar/

6) Trevor Storm DE/OT 6-7 225 EASTON, PA

Source: twitter 6/5 (7th D-1 offer claimed: Army, Brown, Bryant, Jackson State, Lafayette College, Monmouth and Robert Morris)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2815495/trevor-storm



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




http://www.tailgatershandbook.com/Images/L%20Images/Lafayette/laf1.jpg

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:14 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Offer: Dan Fedor OL 6-7 275 Elmira

Source: self tweet


http://www.hudl.com/profile/3097829/dan-fedor/about

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6162







Looks like Coach Nudel will be tweeting all the offers.  I guess I'll maintain a list here. It's all twitter all the time anyway, it's not like there was much satisfaction in a "find" left in the endeavor.

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 1 of 7
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:41 pm

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum