Kia Damon is the new WBB coach - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Women's Basketball > 
--- Kia Damon is the new WBB coach

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:02 am

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1857


Location: Bethlehem, PA





Ransom Stoddard wrote:
She was nervous, but impressive.  I really liked how she thanked those she had worked with along the way - classy.  A young, hungry new coach is what this program needs.  I am rooting for her to succeed.


Yes - definitely nervous. But she rallied and seemed to pick up steam as time went on. She has a very genuine, likeable quality about her and I think the girls will rally around her.

She isn't the first coach that has promised an up-tempo, aggressive style of play. The current roster isn't exactly built for speed - although conditioning is never a bad thing.

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:31 am

justasoldierView user's profile






Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 35







Andy wrote:
LC Fan wrote:
I'm curious about the process. Was there a committee vetting candidates like was done for the FB coaching job and if so, who was on it? Were there actual team members involved or was this strictly an administration decision. The level of confidence we have in the new FB coach is supported by the process used to pick him. I hope something similar occurred with this position.


Apparently used a private firm, Snodgrass Partners


Snodgrass was used to reduce the 200+ applicants. As usual a "team if faculty members" selected the final applicant.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:14 pm

KpardView user's profile






Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 1261


Location: Bethlehem





Welcome and best of luck Coach D!
_________________
GO PARDS!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 pm

carney2View user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5445


Location: Allentown, PA





Kudos to whoever is calling the shots here.  Is it Bruce?  If so, great.  This hiring process seems to have followed much the same pattern that brought Coach Garrett to Lafayette:  a search firm followed by a vetting process, and finally a hire well outside of what used to be our comfort zone.  A big improvement over what we've been watching for years.  It will take a few years to determine if these are quality hires, but you have to like the way it's begun.  Good luck to Coach Damon.
_________________
New Coach = New Attitude = New Game = HOPE!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5864


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





Ransom Stoddard wrote:
She was nervous, but impressive.  I really liked how she thanked those she had worked with along the way - classy.  A young, hungry new coach is what this program needs.  I am rooting for her to succeed.


Not necessarily "young" but definitely quite impressive. Being not too young is a very good thing IMHO; my guesstimate is Coach Damon is in her early 40s. I get the feeling she has a plan and a strategy to fulfill that plan.

I think Coach Damon is going to be terrific. Just what this moribund program needs.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1857


Location: Bethlehem, PA





carney2 wrote:
Kudos to whoever is calling the shots here.  Is it Bruce?  If so, great.  This hiring process seems to have followed much the same pattern that brought Coach Garrett to Lafayette:  a search firm followed by a vetting process, and finally a hire well outside of what used to be our comfort zone.  A big improvement over what we've been watching for years.  It will take a few years to determine if these are quality hires, but you have to like the way it's begun.  Good luck to Coach Damon.


I agree. We appear to be using a different playbook these days. She's not our traditional hire, and that's a good thing.
_________________
I bleed Maroon

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 pm

leopard88View user's profile






Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 370







[quote="Bogus Megapardus:61665"]
Ransom Stoddard wrote:

Not necessarily "young" but definitely quite impressive. Being not too young is a very good thing IMHO; my guesstimate is Coach Damon is in her early 40s.


She graduated from Millersville in 1997, so that would put her right around 41-42.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5864


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





leopard88 wrote:

She graduated from Millersville in 1997, so that would put her right around 41-42.


Yeah, that seems about right, leopard88.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5864


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





So Coach Damon now has changed her Twitter background to show a nice Lafayette campus vista and has updated her profile pic.







Last edited by Bogus Megapardus on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile






Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 492







After viewing the press conference I want to modify my previous post due to Coach Damon's statements about having rebuilding experience. My sole issue now is the academic climate at Lafayette compared to previous coaching stops.Of course she will get some early concessions on admissions but the Patriot League index is tough and I think Lafayette's interpretation is pretty stringent.
Additionally there is a big difference in the experinces of this new coach and Garrett. Garrett's last stop was Richmond which is a very good academic school one step above Lafayette in football. Damon's experience has been strictly at big time programs which have incredible flexibility with admissions.  Nevertheless I hope she can create a successful tenure and bring home the championships she about which she speaks.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:40 pm

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1857


Location: Bethlehem, PA





I'm now following Paige Saylor on Twitter.  I'm not ready to give up on her. She hasn't announced a different school yet.  
As I alluded to before i don't think we have the athletes to put constant pressure on the basketball and push the tempo on offense although I think we'll be a tad faster this season.  I'm hoping for 8 to 10 wins next season.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6038







Totally agree, Aaron, with your observation re Coach's likeability and genuineness. Significant, too, is the fact that she has repeatedly been recognized as a good recruiter, witness her coordinator position at several schools.

Unfortunately there's the usual mumbo jumbo from our AD: "She is the perfect fit with what we're trying to do with developing women in the program," McCutcheon said. "Basketball isn't the end-all, be-all. Basketball is a vehicle to develop and educate young women to be powerful leaders."

Does this man EVER give an indication that winning is important? He chose a career in athletics. Contrast with Pine at HC:

“I have been consistent and clear since arriving...., I didn’t come to Holy Cross to maintain the status quo in athletics. My commitment to Father Boroughs when I took the job is the same as it is today -- to elevate this athletics program and change the culture of our department, while helping to improve the College as a whole." And:

“Donors are responding like never before, I think in part because they believe in our vision and know that I am committed to improving Holy Cross Athletics."   You mean it's not all the "nurturing?"

http://www.mcall.com/sports/colle...ketball-coach-20170531-story.html

http://www.goholycross.com/ViewAr...OEM_ID=33100&ATCLID=210235999

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:01 am

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1857


Location: Bethlehem, PA





It's funny, I've gotten so used to the school spin I don't even notice anymore. I guess that's why coach Garrett didn't want just good football players - he wants "renaissance men." It sounds like coach Damon did her homework and came to Easton for the interview ready to tell them everything they needed to hear - GOOD FOR HER!

Recruiting is about relationships and she seems to have a lot of them in place and has some ability to connect with people.  While I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a small learning curve in terms of recruiting here vs. the other schools she worked at, I don't think we should limit ourselves to the assistants of the  15 or so schools who have similar profiles as us. I think she'll be fine.

The big thing is patience...We actually lost a couple "key" players (as much as "key" could be on a 4-28 team), a promising recruit and we're behind on recruiting for 2018.  Coach D has wanted to be a coach for almost 30 years - she's going to find out a LOT about it soon!
_________________
I bleed Maroon

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:26 pm

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2071







Paige Saylor: The 5-5 Rebels point guard plans to play college basketball — she is down to deciding among Evansville, Illinois State and Robert Morris

http://www.indystar.com/story/spo...lis-saylor-leap-titles/363622001/

Closer to home

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:48 pm

justasoldierView user's profile






Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 35







The Maroon wrote:
It's funny, I've gotten so used to the school spin I don't even notice anymore. I guess that's why coach Garrett didn't want just good football players - he wants "renaissance men." It sounds like coach Damon did her homework and came to Easton for the interview ready to tell them everything they needed to hear - GOOD FOR HER!

Recruiting is about relationships and she seems to have a lot of them in place and has some ability to connect with people.  While I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a small learning curve in terms of recruiting here vs. the other schools she worked at, I don't think we should limit ourselves to the assistants of the  15 or so schools who have similar profiles as us. I think she'll be fine.

The big thing is patience...We actually lost a couple "key" players (as much as "key" could be on a 4-28 team), a promising recruit and we're behind on recruiting for 2018.  Coach D has wanted to be a coach for almost 30 years - she's going to find out a LOT about it soon!



Who are the "key" players we are losing?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:12 pm

bison137View user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1366







justasoldier wrote:


Who are the "key" players we are losing?



If the LC roster is correct, it appears that not only are the three seniors gone but also Angela Ribarich.     Other than Gumbs and maybe Stipa, I'm not sure there are any "key" players - but the loss of those four has to hurt.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5864


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





bison137 wrote:

justasoldier wrote:

Who are the "key" players we are losing?


If the LC roster is correct, it appears that not only are the three seniors gone but also Angela Ribarich.     Other than Gumbs and maybe Stipa, I'm not sure there are any "key" players - but the loss of those four has to hurt.


My sense is that everyone concedes we're starting from scratch, 137. This feels like a complete rebuild and not just adding a piece here and there. I'm not in disagreement.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:31 pm

The MaroonView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1857


Location: Bethlehem, PA





Paige Sailor won the state title in the long jump with a 19'1 leap.  She HAS to know where she's going in the fall.  Why don't we?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5864


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





The Maroon wrote:
Paige Sailor won the state title in the long jump with a 19'1 leap.  She HAS to know where she's going in the fall.  Why don't we?


Heh. Come to Easton, Ms. Sailor!!! We'll love you to no end for it!!!

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6038







Asst named:

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061517aaa.html

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum