2014 expectations - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Recruiting Thread > 
--- 2014 expectations

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:35 pm

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1194







BillS wrote:
RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.
Red shirting will never happen in the PL !


Probably. Well we can then follow the SUNY Ithaca model and just send our frosh to Carbon County JC or a year. Yup dat's the answer. Wink

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:04 pm

carney2View user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5446


Location: Allentown, PA





RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.


Wrong!!  Redshirting in the Patriot League would seriously slant the playing field in the direction of Fordham and Lehigh.  (Nothing will help Georgetown until they decide to help themselves.)  They are the only League football members with viable graduate programs, and therefore the only ones who could offer an academic advantage to staying for that extra year.

I have never understood the NCAA rules that allow a school like W&M to have 5 classes of athletes on scholarship, but only 4 of them count toward the mandated maximum of 63.  Someone I'm sure can explain it, but it will still smack of rule by chimpanzee.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm

Tribe4SFView user's profile






Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 100


Location: Jamestown, home of the Eagles!





carney2 wrote:
RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.


Wrong!! Redshirting in the Patriot League would seriously slant the playing field in the direction of Fordham and Lehigh. (Nothing will help Georgetown until they decide to help themselves.) They are the only League football members with viable graduate programs, and therefore the only ones who could offer an academic advantage to staying for that extra year.

I have never understood the NCAA rules that allow a school like W&M to have 5 classes of athletes on scholarship, but only 4 of them count toward the mandated maximum of 63. Someone I'm sure can explain it, but it will still smack of rule by chimpanzee.


All five classes count towards the 63. That's why you never see W&M sign more than 15 kids per year. Last year it was 12. This year 14.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5866


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





The quaint, antiquated assumption in the PL is that (a) students go to college for 4 years and then earn a degree; and (b) football players are students.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 pm

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1194







Carney
Only the Ivies avoid the 63 max. No red shirts but some avoid by getting kids to leave school, JC then come back. So basically only PL actually enforces a red shirt rule.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6047







Tribe4SF wrote:
carney2 wrote:
RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.


Wrong!! Redshirting in the Patriot League would seriously slant the playing field in the direction of Fordham and Lehigh. (Nothing will help Georgetown until they decide to help themselves.) They are the only League football members with viable graduate programs, and therefore the only ones who could offer an academic advantage to staying for that extra year.

I have never understood the NCAA rules that allow a school like W&M to have 5 classes of athletes on scholarship, but only 4 of them count toward the mandated maximum of 63. Someone I'm sure can explain it, but it will still smack of rule by chimpanzee.


All five classes count towards the 63. That's why you never see W&M sign more than 15 kids per year. Last year it was 12. This year 14.


Now I'm totally lost. I've tried reading the NCAA Manual, came away with the understanding that aid doesn't "count" until the player actually plays in a game.  I dread re-reading that thing.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Tribe4SFView user's profile






Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 100


Location: Jamestown, home of the Eagles!





Andy wrote:
Tribe4SF wrote:
carney2 wrote:
RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.


Wrong!! Redshirting in the Patriot League would seriously slant the playing field in the direction of Fordham and Lehigh. (Nothing will help Georgetown until they decide to help themselves.) They are the only League football members with viable graduate programs, and therefore the only ones who could offer an academic advantage to staying for that extra year.

I have never understood the NCAA rules that allow a school like W&M to have 5 classes of athletes on scholarship, but only 4 of them count toward the mandated maximum of 63. Someone I'm sure can explain it, but it will still smack of rule by chimpanzee.


All five classes count towards the 63. That's why you never see W&M sign more than 15 kids per year. Last year it was 12. This year 14.


Now I'm totally lost. I've tried reading the NCAA Manual, came away with the understanding that aid doesn't "count" until the player actually plays in a game. I dread re-reading that thing.


As I understand it scholarship players are counters from day 1 when they arrive. If a player is receiving need based aid, or academic scholarship, they count when they play.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6047







Tribe4SF wrote:
Andy wrote:
Tribe4SF wrote:
carney2 wrote:
RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.


Wrong!! Redshirting in the Patriot League would seriously slant the playing field in the direction of Fordham and Lehigh. (Nothing will help Georgetown until they decide to help themselves.) They are the only League football members with viable graduate programs, and therefore the only ones who could offer an academic advantage to staying for that extra year.

I have never understood the NCAA rules that allow a school like W&M to have 5 classes of athletes on scholarship, but only 4 of them count toward the mandated maximum of 63. Someone I'm sure can explain it, but it will still smack of rule by chimpanzee.


All five classes count towards the 63. That's why you never see W&M sign more than 15 kids per year. Last year it was 12. This year 14.


Now I'm totally lost. I've tried reading the NCAA Manual, came away with the understanding that aid doesn't "count" until the player actually plays in a game. I dread re-reading that thing.


As I understand it scholarship players are counters from day 1 when they arrive. If a player is receiving need based aid, or academic scholarship, they count when they play.


So Tribe, do you take advantage of that, bring in need based walk-ons?  They can fill in your roster for practice purposes, and then if deemed worthy, given scholarship money.  It doesnt sound as if you do it that way.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 pm

RichHView user's profile






Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1194







Basically correct Tribe but even need based count if they are recruited players,If I read it correctly Rolling Eyes

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5866


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





Bruce McC. probably knows what W&M does. After all, he's one of them.

My guess at the probable Coach T. attitude on this: "I don't give a flying fandoogle what they do down there. I just want to beat them."

Thankfully, we're here to handle all of the necessary and essential hand-wringing for him. Rolling Eyes

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Tribe4SFView user's profile






Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 100


Location: Jamestown, home of the Eagles!





Andy wrote:
Tribe4SF wrote:
Andy wrote:
Tribe4SF wrote:
carney2 wrote:
RichH wrote:
Red, grey shirting can be abused solely to benefit Fball. Done properly, ie W & M, can enhance both.
PL ban , an Ivy Lite remnant, serves little purpose other than as one of our cost containment rules.


Wrong!! Redshirting in the Patriot League would seriously slant the playing field in the direction of Fordham and Lehigh. (Nothing will help Georgetown until they decide to help themselves.) They are the only League football members with viable graduate programs, and therefore the only ones who could offer an academic advantage to staying for that extra year.

I have never understood the NCAA rules that allow a school like W&M to have 5 classes of athletes on scholarship, but only 4 of them count toward the mandated maximum of 63. Someone I'm sure can explain it, but it will still smack of rule by chimpanzee.


All five classes count towards the 63. That's why you never see W&M sign more than 15 kids per year. Last year it was 12. This year 14.


Now I'm totally lost. I've tried reading the NCAA Manual, came away with the understanding that aid doesn't "count" until the player actually plays in a game. I dread re-reading that thing.


As I understand it scholarship players are counters from day 1 when they arrive. If a player is receiving need based aid, or academic scholarship, they count when they play.


So Tribe, do you take advantage of that, bring in need based walk-ons? They can fill in your roster for practice purposes, and then if deemed worthy, given scholarship money. It doesnt sound as if you do it that way.


We take some, but most of our walk-ons are paying.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5866


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





Lafayette tuition (exclusive of room, board and fees) - $43,580

W&M tuition (in-state; exclusive of room, board and fees) - $10,428

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:05 pm

flyfisherView user's profile






Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 1306







a few of you are dealing with some bad information on redshirting and greyshirting.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:15 am

Tribe4SFView user's profile






Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 100


Location: Jamestown, home of the Eagles!





Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Lafayette tuition (exclusive of room, board and fees) - $43,580

W&M tuition (in-state; exclusive of room, board and fees) - $10,428


Yep. We get a lot of good walk-ons in-state. Lang Campbell - 2004 Walter Payton Award was one.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/col...lues-in-public-colleges/index.php

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:23 am

Tribe4SFView user's profile






Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 100


Location: Jamestown, home of the Eagles!





Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Bruce McC. probably knows what W&M does. After all, he's one of them.

My guess at the probable Coach T. attitude on this: "I don't give a flying fandoogle what they do down there. I just want to beat them."

Thankfully, we're here to handle all of the necessary and essential hand-wringing for him. Rolling Eyes


You're a busy guy for the program. Handling cages, restraints AND hand-wringing!

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Previous Thread | Next Thread 

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum