Frank Tavani, who made this monster? - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum



Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index


Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Football > 
--- Frank Tavani, who made this monster?

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted:

Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.













  
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Franks TanksView user's profile






Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 3278







Andy wrote:
zenator wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
RichH wrote:
At Lehigh athlete can drop out for a semester. Some do. This past year Jones.Menendez(WBB) and Alston (MBB) dropped out more for rehab necessity and mobility. LU not easy to navigate on crutches. Others Holba and Sedore did not.From what Im told some families pay for extra semester. The school will pick up the cost in most situations.
These are all undergrad situations tho. Under PL grad school is not an academic reason for a redshirt.


LC does not pay for that extra semester like LC. that is why some go ahead and graduate and play in grad school.


Agree. The hardship, medical waiver (properly understood) is a gift from the coaches to selected players to enable them to have a leg up on admission to a top graduate school.


Crazy. If a football player in the PL or any league gets hurt before 30% of his schedule is complete and a doctor says he can't compete, and he does not return, he earns a medical hardship from the NCAA. No gift from a coach.  To play his 4th year of eligibility in the PL (Which would have him beyond the normal/expected 4 year track), he asks the PL to "waive" the league rule.  If, say, Pujals could have returned to action but was held out by Gilmore so that he could compete next year, then I guess it's a gift, and a fraud.

 Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Franks TanksView user's profile






Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 3278







Andy wrote:
zenator wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
RichH wrote:
At Lehigh athlete can drop out for a semester. Some do. This past year Jones.Menendez(WBB) and Alston (MBB) dropped out more for rehab necessity and mobility. LU not easy to navigate on crutches. Others Holba and Sedore did not.From what Im told some families pay for extra semester. The school will pick up the cost in most situations.
These are all undergrad situations tho. Under PL grad school is not an academic reason for a redshirt.


LC does not pay for that extra semester like LC. that is why some go ahead and graduate and play in grad school.


Agree. The hardship, medical waiver (properly understood) is a gift from the coaches to selected players to enable them to have a leg up on admission to a top graduate school.


Crazy. If a football player in the PL or any league gets hurt before 30% of his schedule is complete and a doctor says he can't compete, and he does not return, he earns a medical hardship from the NCAA. No gift from a coach.  To play his 4th year of eligibility in the PL (Which would have him beyond the normal/expected 4 year track), he asks the PL to "waive" the league rule.  If, say, Pujals could have returned to action but was held out by Gilmore so that he could compete next year, then I guess it's a gift, and a fraud.


The league seems to almost always approve the 5th year.

I believe the NCAA is only involved on the medical waiver when the athlete plays in games, and they have to approve the amount of participation. If an athlete gets hurt before the season there is no NCAA waiver as it is just a typical play 4 in 5 situation.

The other situation is the graduate transfer rule.. Graduate, and a player can transfer to any school they want with no penalty.  The player is supposed to transfer for academic purposes, but well you know.  This is for one year and you have to graduate and have a year to play.  Russell Wilson is I suppose the most famous example of this.  But some pretty high profile players have used the graduate transfer rule in recent years.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 pm

AndyView user's profile






Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 6146







This is the PL rule to play your medical redshirt as a graduate student in the school from which you obtained your undergrad degree:

6. Post Baccalaureate Eligibility due to Hardship. The Patriot League is committed to its
founding principle of providing intercollegiate athletics competitive opportunities for
undergraduate students. However, under special circumstances, the Policy Committee may grant
a waiver enabling a student to compete as a graduate student in their first year after earning the
first baccalaureate degree. In order to apply for such a waiver, a student must:
1. Have eligibility remaining due to reasons of hardship;
2. Choose to pursue a graduate degree at the League institution from which he/she
graduated;
3. Present sound academic rationale or documentation related to enrollment in a post
baccalaureate degree program; and
4. Attain the written approval of the institution’s President/Superintendent supporting
the additional year of eligibility.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:46 pm

adcs2View user's profile






Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 275







"Graduate, and a player can transfer to any school they want with no penalty."

Close.  The player use their final year of eligibility at another institution without sitting out a year as long as they graduate and enroll in a post-grad program not offered by their current school.  

The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 pm

bethlehempardView user's profile






Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 2124







http://articles.dailypress.com/20...ycock-delaware-blue-hen-transfers

Shawn Johnson, Duke to Delaware. He made sure his degree was from Duke.

***Shawn Johnson was a first-team All-ACC defensive end at Duke last season and transferred for his final year. He told the Wilmington (Del.) News Journal that he decided to leave because he wanted to win. The Blue Devils went 2-32 in his first three years.***

I understand it but in such cases it's a perversion of college sports. He took somebody's spot and helped UD beat teams that were more representative of 1AA.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Franks TanksView user's profile






Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 3278







adcs2 wrote:
"Graduate, and a player can transfer to any school they want with no penalty."

Close.  The player use their final year of eligibility at another institution without sitting out a year as long as they graduate and enroll in a post-grad program not offered by their current school.  

The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.


Understand, but that is a farce as many of these grad transfers care little of school, and find some random major to get around the requirement.  In other words nobody seems to be denied.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 am

pardfanView user's profile






Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 404







Let's say Frank didn't talk about how much money the College owed him after the LU game, is he still coach?

I say "yes."  In order to get the axe, he had to put Bruce the Political and Alison in a very uncomfortable position.  They would rather have not done it or waited until after the consultants finished their work.  I'm not inventing the wheel here because many have said the above.  But it connects to my main question.

Were the decisions of FT in his final season further evidence, as I maintain, of a guy who had never been very smart-- a guy who constantly reverted to instinct when pressed (I want that check or let's go for it on 4th down from the two yard line in the first quarter with the game scoreless or go for one when the math dictates clearly that you go for two)?

I think that FT expected to stay but got nervous as the season unfolded.  He made a critical error in judgement and went for wins--an error that oddly speaks to his selfishness and lack of a plan.  Who on this board would have finished the season like this as coach without an underclassman qb getting at least half a game of action going into next year?  No one.  He thought he needed wins and figured that Drew could deliver and save his job.  Some will say, "He was safe.  This is Lafayette College, after all."  But, in the final analysis, he panicked. Even after 17 years, he feared that the College wouldn't do the inevitable wrong thing (keep him as HC). Dumb.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 am

PardDad71View user's profile






Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Posts: 166







Yes I believe he backed them into a corner.    I probably give him too much credit, but the corner he backed them into was either extend me again, or get rid of me.  Being a lame duck coach would be worse than either of the first 2 scenarios.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:46 am

Pards RuleView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1902


Location: Cherry Hill, NJ





PardDad71 wrote:
Yes I believe he backed them into a corner.    I probably give him too much credit, but the corner he backed them into was either extend me again, or get rid of me.  Being a lame duck coach would be worse than either of the first 2 scenarios.


Yeah why hit the road etc recruiting and know it is for naught. He wanted an answer. I guess my economic question is when was the drop dead date for the extension? Day after Lehigh? The Monday after or earlier or what? Why let that date slip along with the money if you know you are going to term him?

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Bogus MegapardusView user's profile






Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 5878


Location: The Psphere of Pardsvillian Punditry





Pards Rule wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
Yes I believe he backed them into a corner.    I probably give him too much credit, but the corner he backed them into was either extend me again, or get rid of me.  Being a lame duck coach would be worse than either of the first 2 scenarios.


Yeah why hit the road etc recruiting and know it is for naught. He wanted an answer. I guess my economic question is when was the drop dead date for the extension? Day after Lehigh? The Monday after or earlier or what? Why let that date slip along with the money if you know you are going to term him?


According to the article in The Lafayette, Tavani's contract required one year advance notice of termination.  So my guess is the notice of termination is being given now and the contract will expire in one year.  Tavani will be paid but his "duties" under the contract, for the next year, won't include coaching football.  This is just an assumption based on how these things usually work in the business world.

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 am

LeopardBall10View user's profile






Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 291







Bogus Megapardus wrote:
This is just an assumption based on how these things usually work in the business world.


Because we all know that Lafayette College always uses best business practices  Rolling Eyes
_________________
"Pride, Purpose, Passion!"

Reply with quote
  
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:31 am

Pards RuleView user's profile






Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1902


Location: Cherry Hill, NJ





Bogus Megapardus wrote:
Pards Rule wrote:
PardDad71 wrote:
Yes I believe he backed them into a corner.    I probably give him too much credit, but the corner he backed them into was either extend me again, or get rid of me.  Being a lame duck coach would be worse than either of the first 2 scenarios.


Yeah why hit the road etc recruiting and know it is for naught. He wanted an answer. I guess my economic question is when was the drop dead date for the extension? Day after Lehigh? The Monday after or earlier or what? Why let that date slip along with the money if you know you are going to term him?


According to the article in The Lafayette, Tavani's contract required one year advance notice of termination.  So my guess is the notice of termination is being given now and the contract will expire in one year.  Tavani will be paid but his "duties" under the contract, for the next year, won't include coaching football.  This is just an assumption based on how these things usually work in the business world.


So, are they having Frank recruit then? would seem most odd!!

Reply with quote
  
Reply to topic Page 10 of 10
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

The time now is Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:13 am

phpvBB - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum - Top - MODs

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Visit Justinsanity.net for all your phpvBB needs.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum