Oops - make that Gumbs transfers to George Washington - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum

Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index

Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Women's Basketball > 
--- Oops - make that Gumbs transfers to George Washington

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted:

Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm

ed65View user's profile

My apologies.  I still wonder why.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

justasoldierView user's profile

ed65 wrote:
My apologies. †I still wonder why.

New coach, new philosophy.  New up tempo vs deliver ball to low post. You need players that fit the coaches style.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:56 pm

MaroonerView user's profile

Dang. Don't blame her, that's the name of the game these days. If you get a chance to move up (and don't mind sitting a year), you do it. Best of luck to her.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:44 pm

The MaroonView user's profile

Wow....
I was just wondering how things could get worse.
I don't get it. I have a hard time believing the thought of a playing at a faster pace is what scared her off.
We'll be hard-pressed to match our whopping 4 wins without her. She WAS the franchise.
This hurts.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:48 pm

AndyView user's profile

"Basketball isn't the end-all, be-all. Basketball is a vehicle to develop and educate young women to be powerful leaders."

I can't believe a 3* player wouldn't be thrilled to hear that from her AD.  What a disaster.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:48 am

MaroonerView user's profile

Andy wrote:
"Basketball isn't the end-all, be-all. Basketball is a vehicle to develop and educate young women to be powerful leaders."

I can't believe a 3* player wouldn't be thrilled to hear that from her AD. †What a disaster.

I think that your implication is pretty unfair. Student-athletes - particularly basketball players - transfer all the time (such as the 694 men's players this year to date, according to Verbal Commits). It's one of the unavoidable pitfalls of landing a 3* recruit to a program and league comprised mostly of 2* recruits, and it's one of the pitfalls of being a four-win team (not to mention that not all transfers are strictly basketball-related in the first place). If Olivia Gumbs was a key contributor for Patriot League Champion Bucknell or rode the bench for Big Ten Champion Maryland, she could have ended up in exactly the same spot.

There's a valid discussion to be had (and that has been had on this board ad nauseum) about McCutcheon's status as the Director of Athletics and about the College's support of its athletic programs in general. But not everything has to be a part of a narrative. And if the "problem" with Lafayette athletics comes down to opinions like the one conveyed in your quote above, then I'll take that "problem" over some of the other issues with college athletics.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:03 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile

The where is irrelevant. Gumbs was a major building block and this was a big loss to the program. First the recruit then Ribarich and now Gumbs.The program is actually backsliding when it didn't appear it could get any worse.Respectability appears to be  years away. Maybe the new coach can snare a transfer or two herself.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 am

This is a nightmare.   If we had any chance of MEDIOCRITY in the next 2-3 years it began with Gumbs. I really believed we had a chance for 8 to 10 wins next year - albeit a slim one. Now I don't see how we get to the four we got this year.
Welcome to Easton coach Damon!  Shocked

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:47 am

AndyView user's profile

As a non-insider I'm still skeptical about Grentz's firing. The allegation was, apparently, some sort of abuse. Well, ding, dong, the witch is dead. The reign of terror is over. How do the Munchkins celebrate, by taking the yellow brick road out of here. A top recruit, a former all rookie team player and a 3* player whose signing signaled hope for the program. All gone after Grentz, the alleged abuser, left. †Ed's question is valid. Why now?

These are full ride players leaving a top-notch academic college with much to offer. So what's wrong? The athletic dept.  What Laf, Fly and others have called "the culture."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm

carney2View user's profile

Andy wrote:
These are full ride players leaving a top-notch academic college with much to offer. So what's wrong?

2016-17:  4-28
2015-16:  6-23
2014-15:  14-17
2013-14:  14-16
2012-13:  11-19
2011-12:  8-22
2010-11:  11-19
2009-10:  6-23
2008-09:  8-22
2007-08:  14-16

And thatís only the last 10 years.  Itís a toilet that wonít stop flushing.  Even if Coach Damon turns it around, itís unlikely that any of last yearís freshmen will be part of any victory parades.  Someone like Olivia Gumbs is a superior athlete and is used to winning.  Iím sure the people at George Washington think they have a great educational institution too.  Iím betting that she wants to win, and she wants to win now.  It could be as simple as that.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Ransom StoddardView user's profile

Gumbs was wonderfully athletic and aggressive - things we sorely lack as a team and truly need.  But she was poor in the defensive end, did not seem to be able to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble, and, from all accounts, was weak in the "student" portion of student-athlete.  Grentz waxed on about her close relationship with Gumbs - they knew each other for several years before either joined Lafayette, and, thus, Gumbs departure is no big surprise.  I am not convinced it is the disaster some are making it out to be.  Ribarich got screwed over this past year for playing time as Grentz favored "her 4" freshmen.  I am sorry to see her go as I believed she developed well her freshman year and will be a dominant post player.  Saylor is a loss - it will be interesting to see where she winds up - I think she's making a mistake not coming here - she would almost be certain to play a major role here right out of the box.  This year will be tough if we have to go with a short bench.  Let's hope that some of the players who never had much of a chance to play in the Nolan / Grentz years can step up and make an impact.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:27 pm

justasoldierView user's profile

Ransom Stoddard wrote:
Gumbs was wonderfully athletic and aggressive - things we sorely lack as a team and truly need. †But she was poor in the defensive end, did not seem to be able to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble, and, from all accounts, was weak in the "student" portion of student-athlete. †Grentz waxed on about her close relationship with Gumbs - they knew each other for several years before either joined Lafayette, and, thus, Gumbs departure is no big surprise. †I am not convinced it is the disaster some are making it out to be. †Ribarich got screwed over this past year for playing time as Grentz favored "her 4" freshmen. †I am sorry to see her go as I believed she developed well her freshman year and will be a dominant post player. †Saylor is a loss - it will be interesting to see where she winds up - I think she's making a mistake not coming here - she would almost be certain to play a major role here right out of the box. †This year will be tough if we have to go with a short bench. †Let's hope that some of the players who never had much of a chance to play in the Nolan / Grentz years can step up and make an impact.

I think you are spot on. It may take a year or two, but this coach is a players coach, not an ego coach.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:42 pm

justasoldier wrote:
Ransom Stoddard wrote:
Gumbs was wonderfully athletic and aggressive - things we sorely lack as a team and truly need. †But she was poor in the defensive end, did not seem to be able to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble, and, from all accounts, was weak in the "student" portion of student-athlete. †Grentz waxed on about her close relationship with Gumbs - they knew each other for several years before either joined Lafayette, and, thus, Gumbs departure is no big surprise. †I am not convinced it is the disaster some are making it out to be. †Ribarich got screwed over this past year for playing time as Grentz favored "her 4" freshmen. †I am sorry to see her go as I believed she developed well her freshman year and will be a dominant post player. †Saylor is a loss - it will be interesting to see where she winds up - I think she's making a mistake not coming here - she would almost be certain to play a major role here right out of the box. †This year will be tough if we have to go with a short bench. †Let's hope that some of the players who never had much of a chance to play in the Nolan / Grentz years can step up and make an impact.

I think you are spot on. It may take a year or two, but this coach is a players coach, not an ego coach.

Wait so our best player left because she LIKED the evil coach?

And Ribarich left because of what happened this past season despite the fact that the main culprit is gone?

Anybody want to speak for Sailor?  I never knew I could miss someone I never actually met - but this is pretty close.

I realize Gumbs had some weaknesses - I was looking forward to her working through them and developing into an all-league player. Sadly- I don't have time to watch GW in 2018.

I personally thought Gumbs was one of our few players who would benefit from the uptempo style that coach Damon is going to try and bring on (anyone else see a sharp learning curve ahead for our new coach?).

We managed to lose 100 games in four years about a decade ago, we could be revisiting that before too long with scholarships.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 pm

bethlehempardView user's profile

Note to the athletic department:
Don't schedule any "stretch" games this year. If they are already on the books, cancel them.
Coach Damon is, in essence, taking a short-handed, weak D3 program into D1.
Let's not make it any more traumatic than it must be. No Louisville-type games please.

Coach, after about two decades of disaster, the fans are with you.
They may be befuddled by this "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma" that is the athletic program -- I mean could somebody intentionally trying to destroy it do any worse? -- but the fans are with you and the team.

Dazed and confused, yes, but they're behind you.

Really confused.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:38 pm

AndyView user's profile

Let's see, OG was:

A unanimous selection to the All Rookie team

The only first year player in the history of LC WBball to lead the team in scoring and rebounding

One of 3 players in program history to score 300 points and grab 200 rebounds as a rookie (Bayer, Homan)

And:

We're somehow overestimating her loss

Knocking her on the way out

Yes 'm confused.

GW Coach - "Olivia is highly motivated both as an athlete and a student with a drive to succeed that will fit the culture already established in the GW Athletic Department."

A great recruiting job by Coach G and we were looking for more. Thanks to OG for recognizing what LC had to offer and giving it a shot despite the terrible shape the program was in. She obviously believed in Coach G.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am

She averaged 17 and 9 over the last 10 games, 18 and 10 over the last 5...We don't see too many frosh do that in Easton. The issue with fouling was improving - and I looked forward to more improvement.  I don't claim to have any inside knowledge of this team but it wasn't hard to see - OG had everything to be one of our very best.

Bruce said all the right things about TG "changing the culture" of the team - so what happened?

Natalie Kucowski appears to be another top-notch recruit who - to my knowledge - is still joining us in the fall (the roster on the website does not list any freshmen).  Grentz was clearly upgrading the talent - and if that talent was loyal to her I'm lost as to what happened.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

bethlehempardView user's profile

, and, from all accounts, was weak in the "student" portion of student-athlete.

All accounts? Maybe so. I don't know of any, but maybe so. It's hardly unusual for athletes and non-athletes. What accounts?

The accuracy of that statement is not the issue. The issue is, even a poster on an anonymous chat board should show some minimum sense of decorum when discussing a student's private affairs.

This is a backhanded parting slap at somebody who gave her all on the court for Lafayette and made a rational decision to leave. Transferring is not an easy process.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:02 pm

bethlehempard wrote:
, and, from all accounts, was weak in the "student" portion of student-athlete.

All accounts? Maybe so. I don't know of any, but maybe so. It's hardly unusual for athletes and non-athletes. What accounts?

The accuracy of that statement is not the issue. The issue is, even a poster on an anonymous chat board should show some minimum sense of decorum when discussing a student's private affairs.

This is a backhanded parting slap at somebody who gave her all on the court for Lafayette and made a rational decision to leave. Transferring is not an easy process.

Definitely wasn't Ransom's finest hour as he's always been a classy poster. If you follow the trajectory of the posts my guess is he's at the "done with it" period that most parents/friends reach at some point.

I'm trying to understand about this program that makes it the one Bruce seems to care about. We've fired THREE COACHES. Nolan was canned after a 14-win season! At the time we were told that the players didn't like her - that some would have left had she stayed...Thank GOD that didn't happen huh? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Paige Sailor headed to Illinois State...
The hits just keep on coming ...

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 pm

The Maroon wrote:
Paige Sailor headed to Illinois State...
The hits just keep on coming ...

The Redbirds were 8-23 last season.  I realize that's twice our win total but I don't think it was all about winning..

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next
ę Previous Thread | Next Thread Ľ