A Preview Discussion of 2015 - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum

Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index

Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Football > 
--- A Preview Discussion of 2015

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted:

Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

carney2View user's profile

A few folks have expressed that they are sorry to see it end after Saturday. The Undiestains say that we've had five losing seasons in a row and lose our best player, so how good can we be. I have elsewhere pointed out that we open with W&M, Delaware and Princeton, a virtual murderer's row for us. But then our Bucknell friend, 137, states that both Delaware and Princeton seem to have fallen on hard times and may be beatable.

So, before we go all basketball and then enter the spring and summer doldrums, whaddya think?

Here are some questions to get your juices flowing:

Drew Reed had some injury issues, did not have an experienced or productive set of receivers, and was working behind an offensive line that put his life in danger every time he stepped on the field. Still, he was not the Drew Reed we saw in 2013. Can he find his way back from wherever he's been?

Mrazek looks like a keeper, but beyond that we have nothing but questions at receiver. No one established himself as a deep threat. Will we have to depend on freshmen again or is there an answer or two in house?

Can Brown, Mayfield and that freshman from Arizona who missed the entire season establish a reasonable running game?

Despite their dominating performance on Saturday against a truly bad defense, the offensive line has been pretty much a week in and week out disaster for 5 years. What's the answer?

The defensive line had some injuries, but on its best day did not inspire a lot of confidence. Do we have the bodies in house to upgrade this or will we be combing the recruiting list in February to see if help is on the way?

Gralish and Martin were a year long adventure. It's a good thing we didn't need that field goal and extra point Saturday in the Bronx. We reportedly have a kicker signed from Parkland in the Lehigh Valley. Can we finally achieve some stability in this area?

My basset hound has a definite attitude that the only important dog treat is the next dog treat. Same thing with football - the only important game is the next game.

Your turn.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Tribe4SFView user's profile

So I'll be in Easton on September 5? Can't wait!

Watch out for the Tribe offense next year. We lose Tre McBride but return a lot including nine guys who got starts on the OL this year and Mikal Abdul-Saboor who rushed for 115/game. Defense has some holes to fill up front but returns enough to be pretty solid.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Tribe4SF wrote:

Watch out for the Tribe offense next year. We lose Tre McBride but return a lot including nine guys who got starts on the OL this year and Mikal Abdul-Saboor who rushed for 115/game. Defense has some holes to fill up front but returns enough to be pretty solid.

After Saturday at Yankee Stadium we are all juiced to get going again.  Looking forward to it, but dreading the end of the series.  Will the Tribe have already played a game or two as in past years?

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Newleopardfan2View user's profile

carney2 wrote:
Gralish and Martin were a year long adventure. It's a good thing we didn't need that field goal and extra point Saturday in the Bronx. We reportedly have a kicker signed from Parkland in the Lehigh Valley. Can we finally achieve some stability in this area?

I am only qualified to answer one of these questions. The answer is "no", at least not from the pieces in place or the Parkland addition. On the positive side, I was impressed by RF's improvement this year: no blocked punts, increased ave. distance by 4 y/p (though still next-to-last in PL), and his HT's are quite good. He will be an asset next year, and maybe a weapon by senior year.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 pm

flyfisherView user's profile

Tribe will be better but I don't see them being great. Delaware will also be better. Both those teams are more physical than us.

Our defense should be very good next year and will start out with plenty of depth. The biggest loss on defense wil be Kirkpatrick. The issues will be on offense. I think we will be better at WR. Palumbo can get deep. We are solid at TE and fullback. It all comes down to the o-line opening holes for some good backs and giving Reed or Searfoss time to throw. My oldest saw our first game and knew right away Reed would never make it through the season.

Hawks had issues up front the other day. on D we went with a quicker d line and Hawks could do nothing. I am not sure Lehigh is going to be a lot better. They have not recruited well. Talking with some of their players they changed defenses early in the year and it never clicked.

Something that goes unsaid but Link did a good job scouting Lehigh. They had played two teams that ran our defensive schemes so he had a pretty good idea what they were going to try to run against us. As it turned out, Coen's followed the script perfectly. Hawks had no chance on offense..

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:07 pm

flyfisherView user's profile

Newleopardfan2 wrote:
carney2 wrote:

I am only qualified to answer one of these questions. The answer is "no", at least not from the pieces in place or the Parkland addition. On the positive side, I was impressed by RF's improvement this year: no blocked punts, increased ave. distance by 4 y/p (though still next-to-last in PL), and his HT's are quite good. He will be an asset next year, and maybe a weapon by senior year.

Our net punting average was good. Good hang time and good coverage. I saw so many kickers get away with long kicks that only traveled 25 yards is the air. So many bad kickers kicking that low Squibb kick that we did not field. Lehigh's punter was terrible but we never fielded it because it landed 15 yards in front of our guy.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:32 am

Tribe4SFView user's profile

carney2 wrote:
Tribe4SF wrote:

After Saturday at Yankee Stadium we are all juiced to get going again. Looking forward to it, but dreading the end of the series. Will the Tribe have already played a game or two as in past years?

Haven't seen our schedule yet, but pretty sure this will be our first game.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:24 am

flyfisher wrote:
Our net punting average was good. Good hang time and good coverage. I saw so many kickers get away with long kicks that only traveled 25 yards is the air. So many bad kickers kicking that low Squibb kick that we did not field. Lehigh's punter was terrible but we never fielded it because it landed 15 yards in front of our guy.

Not thrilled with our punt returning.  I may have missed one, but I don't remember Vangelas fielding even one punt at Yankee Stadium.  Roberts, on the other hand, caught every one that came his way.  Easier said than done I guess, but the job of the punt returner is not just to run with the ball, but also to guard field position.  He should not allow the ball to hit and roll for extra yards.  Someone is asleep at the switch - either the special teams coach or the returner - but this should not be happening with this frequency.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:27 am

Pards RuleView user's profile

Tribe4SF wrote:
carney2 wrote:
Tribe4SF wrote:

After Saturday at Yankee Stadium we are all juiced to get going again. Looking forward to it, but dreading the end of the series. Will the Tribe have already played a game or two as in past years?

Haven't seen our schedule yet, but pretty sure this will be our first game.

Look forward to meeting you Tribe!

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:29 am

flyfisher wrote:
Something that goes unsaid but Link did a good job scouting Lehigh. They had played two teams that ran our defensive schemes so he had a pretty good idea what they were going to try to run against us. As it turned out, Coen's followed the script perfectly. Hawks had no chance on offense..

What's the group opinion of the new defensive coordinator?  He was performing with one hand tied behind his back since he didn't really have some of the specialized talent he needed to run his pet defense.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 am

Pards Rule wrote:

You blew it, Doug.  You and the moth eaten Muppet should have joined me in  Williamsburg.  These people know how to tailgate.  They were cooking up filets.  They were roasting whole pigs.  They'll laugh themselves silly in Easton when they see that a tailgate consists of a hoagie and a bag of chips.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:17 am

Pards RuleView user's profile

carney2 wrote:
Pards Rule wrote:

You blew it, Doug. You and the moth eaten Muppet should have joined me in Williamsburg. These people know how to tailgate. They were cooking up filets. They were roasting whole pigs. They'll laugh themselves silly in Easton when they see that a tailgate consists of a hoagie and a bag of chips.

I really truly tried! The fricking bus and train schedules suked!! I want another home and home with Wm & Mary

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 pm

PardsfriendView user's profile

Having observed every home game in person, and Fordham in Bronx a couple of notes come to mind in regard to next year.

As coaches like to say, the games are decided up front.  To this fact, I'm convinced that LC will go as far as their rebuilt offensive line takes them.  I'm confident we will be strong behind center and at wideout(s),plus we have capable replacements for 29.  As the Lehigh game proved, when our big guys up front get a push, and are consistent, we will run the ball very effectively.

We need to develop depth on the defensive line.  But our back seven should be stout.  We have fast and skilled corners.  And I like the scheme Coach Link offers each game.

We must be better in our kicking game to achieve stability on special teams.

Overall, with a good recruiting class, I'm very optimistic that the Pards will compete and play well in 2015.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:08 pm

[quote="flyfisher:44755"]
Newleopardfan2 wrote:

It's all relative. We were 5th out of 7 PL teams in punting net, ahead of BU and GT. To me, it's irrelevant how it looks -- it's an issue of field position and for that, net yards is all that counts. Announcers love high spirals but you don't get points for that. Lots of schools - Lehigh was once one of them - use a running rugby-style punt with surprising effectiveness, despite the fact that it's just plain ugly. Three other stats I follow: blocks, returns past the LOS and returns for scores. Overall, we improved at this position and I think we'll be solid-to-strong moving forward.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:57 am

We can talk about punters, place kickers, D-line depth, etc., etc. from now until September, but the answer is the same for 2015 as it's been for a long time now - offensive line.  Our recruiting has yielded big immobile guys who have a difficult time with the more athletic defensive linemen that we're seeing.  Still, we've got enough talent to be average against Patriot League competition.  And even average would have yielded a lot more wins over the past few years.  What we seem to be missing is not easy to discern and discuss.  It's dedication, commitment, coaching, and who knows what else.  150 showed what can be done against our level of competition when things come together.  Is it a peek at the future or just a bump in our never ending road of mediocrity?  Either way, without significant O-line improvement, 2015 will just be more of the same no matter what else happens.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:53 pm

carney2 wrote:
the answer is the same for 2015 as it's been for a long time now - offensive line... without significant O-line improvement, 2015 will just be more of the same no matter what else happens.

No question. This is a given.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:41 pm

edge29View user's profile

carney2 wrote:
flyfisher wrote:

What's the group opinion of the new defensive coordinator? He was performing with one hand tied behind his back since he didn't really have some of the specialized talent he needed to run his pet defense.

I'd give him a solid B.  He and the scheme were as advertised. The kids definitely played fast and physical. No late calls from the sideline or confusion  from what I could see.

Clearly the defense kept us in most of the games and would have looked even better had the O been somewhat consistent.

Next year?  

The D will be even more solid. The strength of our team when all are healthy.  The question is, with lower roster numbers will inconsistent play become the norm?  Scheduling will become more important then. Our buy before 150 allowed guys to become healthy and made us a completely different team.

Offense
1 - oline! Oline! Oline! Nuff said.
2  - playmaking WR. Mrazek will be good but is he a TD threat every time he touches the ball?  not yet at least.   We dealt with the loss of Mark Ross this year and now we'll have to deal with losing both Ross's. Im guessing they were 90% of our offense over the last 2 years. We had that kid a few years ago (frosh who left??). We need to find another and bet the farm on him.
3 - RB- I think we're solid here. One of them needs to step up and claim that top spot.  We know musical RBs doesnt work.
4- TE. Keller is better than he's given credit for.  the frosh will mature and be a good back up.
5 - QB- no worries here. Whoever is healthy can step in. Would have been nice to see Sunshine get a few more snaps.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:44 pm

edge29 wrote:
Would have been nice to see Sunshine get a few more snaps.

There ya go.  SUNSHINE.  Josh Davis has arrived.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Pard4LifeView user's profile

Sunshine works! Still not as good as "Surfer Dude." Lol

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am

SIDELINERView user's profile

Pard4Life wrote:
Sunshine works! Still not as good as "Surfer Dude." Lol

Yeah, but "Surfer Dude" turned out to be "Surfer Dud!" Gimme me Sunshine. But for now, the healing has to begin for #7 and #9.

I think Mrazek can easily become another Mark Ross. mark didn't have pullaway speed, and after his freshman year, he had 0 catches for 0 yards. Mrazek is far ahead of that curve. Palumbo and Vangelas will bloom, too.

O-line with Keller at TE; Federinko and Zataveski (also Cam Smith) at tackles; Staudle and Hoffman at guards; maybe Lang (??) at center. Center is the biggest questionmark right now.

Bascks: Reed QB; Mayfield or Brown, TB; Dellovade FB.

D-line: Tyrus White and Shane Dorner (both medicals) at end; Rothrock and Mercado at tackles.

LBs: Dodd and Bryant LBs; Brockman at strike.

Secondary: Smalley and Parham CBs; Black and Roberts (both medicals) at safeties.

Keep them all healthy and I'll take that against all comers. And have some pretty decent backups, too.

Think spring!!!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Previous Thread | Next Thread