OK, let's hear it -
"I like this group."
"Great class."
etc., etc.

As we keep going 5-6.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Pard4LifeView user's profile

It's the coaching c2...

Still, it is concerning that we have only 1 WR... though more still to come.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:58 pm

edge29View user's profile

Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

I believe we have 2...Amil and Chenowith (not yet annouced but confirmed).  Both are arguably a step above the last 2 year's WR recruits, IMO.

I think the coaches did a really good job creating depth in spots that were a concern.  The only signees that leave me scratching my head are the TEs.  I think there are now 6 on the roster.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Pards RuleView user's profile

edge29 wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

I believe we have 2...Amil and Chenowith (not yet annouced but confirmed). Both are arguably a step above the last 2 year's WR recruits, IMO.

I think the coaches did a really good job creating depth in spots that were a concern. The only signees that leave me scratching my head are the TEs. I think there are now 6 on the roster.

Yes - Chenowith!! A grab from Cornell! Im going to the first THREE games - Tribe, Delaware and Princeton, de minimus! And I still have to hit Georgetown and that would only leave Fordham on my list of PL stadiums to see a game.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Pards RuleView user's profile

edge29 wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

I believe we have 2...Amil and Chenowith (not yet annouced but confirmed). Both are arguably a step above the last 2 year's WR recruits, IMO.

I think the coaches did a really good job creating depth in spots that were a concern. The only signees that leave me scratching my head are the TEs. I think there are now 6 on the roster.

And Edge, Mrazek's no slouch?!?! I saw him make some fricking fine catches at Andy Kerr and then that last TD pass at Yankee.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:04 pm

carney2View user's profile

Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

No argument here about the coaching.  Other concerns:

Those 3 OL recruits average 305.  Are these yet more of those nailed to the ground behemoths that Stan Clayton seems to love?  You know, the ones who are left grabbing at air as the ever more agile DEs juke, jive and spin around them?  Our OL problems need to be solved - NOW!

Our QB recruit does not seem to be ranked by anyone.  Other PL schools are signing 3-star QB recruits.  I think Lehigh has 2.  I realize that we may have 3 good ones already on the roster, but...

Did we get any of those hybrid defenders that are so necessary to run a 4-2-5?

Do we have any difference makers in this group?  I don't see him.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

AndyView user's profile

edge29 wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

True, but 2 seniors and one of the new guys is a walk-on. And we use 2 TEs a lot.  I'd like to see another DL.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:24 pm

AndyView user's profile

carney2 wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

No argument here about the coaching. Other concerns:

Those 3 OL recruits average 305. Are these yet more of those nailed to the ground behemoths that Stan Clayton seems to love? You know, the ones who are left grabbing at air as the ever more agile DEs juke, jive and spin around them? Our OL problems need to be solved - NOW!

Our QB recruit does not seem to be ranked by anyone. Other PL schools are signing 3-star QB recruits. I think Lehigh has 2. I realize that we may have 3 good ones already on the roster, but...

Did we get any of those hybrid defenders that are so necessary to run a 4-2-5?

Do we have any difference makers in this group? I don't see him.

Sure. Listen, agreed, it's not the "sexiest" class because no stud QB or high profile types, but the difference makers are there IMO in upgrade in quality OLmen, athleticism in the defensive secondary, legit threats at the slot, and, importantly, if you heard Coach Link, pass rushing DEs. And a super kicker which hurt us this year.

BTW, Gary blew by it, but Bruce mentioned Cornell and Navy as upcoming opponents.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Pards Rule wrote:
edge29 wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:
It's the coaching c2...

And Edge, Mrazek's no slouch?!?! I saw him make some fricking fine catches at Andy Kerr and then that last TD pass at Yankee.

No doubt!   I didn't mean to imply that.  I just think these 2 are a step ahead in athleticism.  Mrazek (and all the others for that matter) are "go get the ball" types of kids.  Now we have some speed and moves to compliment him.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:49 pm

AndyView user's profile

edge29 wrote:
No doubt! I didn't mean to imply that. I just think these 2 are a step ahead in athleticism. Mrazek (and all the others for that matter) are "go get the ball" types of kids. Now we have some speed and moves to compliment him.

You are right there in your opinion, edge, with what Mickey said - needed speed guys to compliment the long guys we have out wide.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Pard4LifeView user's profile

Andy is clearly our recruiting and talent expert, so I will defer to his judgement. Getting star guys I guess is nice but it's much better that we have meat and potatoes guys that fill our needs. The QB will be next year. As long as we have speed on the roster and OL who are agile and athletic, we will be fine... until the Frankosaurus. Still, two WRs... if they are anywhere near Mazerk, that's a homerun. They need to be ready by week one.

So who are the top three "studs" of this class?

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 pm

AndyView user's profile

Pard4Life wrote:
Andy is clearly our recruiting and talent expert, so I will defer to his judgement. Getting star guys I guess is nice but it's much better that we have meat and potatoes guys that fill our needs. The QB will be next year. As long as we have speed on the roster and OL who are agile and athletic, we will be fine... until the Frankosaurus. Still, two WRs... if they are anywhere near Mazerk, that's a homerun. They need to be ready by week one.

Well put, and I agree with everything you said except for the part about me. Smile  Several guys know more, Edge, FTanks, Fly and others.  Need opinions on the class, please, from fly and Tanks!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 pm

KpardView user's profile

Andy wrote:
edge29 wrote:
No doubt! I didn't mean to imply that. I just think these 2 are a step ahead in athleticism. Mrazek (and all the others for that matter) are "go get the ball" types of kids. Now we have some speed and moves to compliment him.

You are right there in your opinion, edge, with what Mickey said - needed speed guys to compliment the long guys we have out wide.

Our frosh from last year are good possession types, we need a deep threat to compliment them.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Pard4Life wrote:

I can't pick 3!   So I'll go with West, Ramsey, Powe, Greiser, Chenowith, and Amil in no particular order.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:24 pm

AndyView user's profile

Ah, the former DB recognizing the quality player Powe. Wink

I'll go with the 3 whom I think will make the earliest impact - Tanner, Logan and CJ. Make it 4, add the kicker. (Coaches gaga over this kid).

Oh, crap, it's too difficult. Come to think of it, the DEs may play some right away, too.

Help me out with returning DEs - Albeshardt, Bo and......? I'd like to see Sparks out there, too. Dude is rather large.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Franks TanksView user's profile

Andy wrote:
Pard4Life wrote:

Well put, and I agree with everything you said except for the part about me. Smile Several guys know more, Edge, FTanks, Fly and others. Need opinions on the class, please, from fly and Tanks!!!

You give me too much credit.

CJ- Elite speed and quickness

Greiser (and Kern)- I like both very much.  Gresier is probably higher rated, but both are athletic .. I like these guys.

Ramsey- I don't recall ever having a DE with his size and athletic ability.  Could be a true difference maker.

Dante Leonardo, who I've see is person, has long arms and a big frame.  He can get put on a lot more weight and be a total stud as well.  Powe looks really good as well.  

I criticize the staff's scheme a times, but these guys can recruit.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:13 pm

PardsfriendView user's profile

The DE from Texas jumps out on film with size and edge speed....

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17 pm

carney2View user's profile

Frank was asked at halftime of the Bucknell basketball game who he thinks will have immediate impact.  Without hesitation he named Bissell the kicker from Parkland High School.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Newleopardfan2View user's profile

carney2 wrote:
Frank was asked at halftime of the Bucknell basketball game who he thinks will have immediate impact. Without hesitation he named Bissell the kicker from Parkland High School.

His youtube is impressive. He has very solid mechanics for a kid his age -- clearly well-coached. He does KOs and punts as well. I think I'm agreeing with Frank on this one.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:53 pm

flyfisherView user's profile

I feel good about the class and here are my reasons. I felt like we got some speed. Absolutely no substitute.

I like our o linemen, especially Kern and Greiser. Much more athletic than in the past. I like o linemen that played AAU basketball. Their film showed a nasty, almost dirty streak and they have great feet.

Pleased with the De's. Kid from Texas is a pure speed rusher. Really like him. Local kid more strong side and a run stopper as well as able to get off the ball.

Recruited some good sized safeties. Not sure how we did at corner. I couldn't tell but then I don't coach.

Not surprised at all that CJ is slotted for the slot. Look at his film. He is great in space but not so much between the tackles. Personally I thought that was obvious. Great off tackle, has speed as well as wiggle and can make the first guy miss.

Obviously we needed a reliable kicker. Last year was difficult on everyone. You have obligations to your teammates as well as yourself and the school.

We should have a good stable"of running backs now. Kid from virginia was a pleasant surprise.

In summary, scholarships definitely make a difference. We are recruiting better athletes. There is only one place we fall short and that isn't going to change. We, and the rest of the PL, have a hard time landing difference makers if they dont have top grades. Schools typically rate athletes in 3 groups when looking at their grades. Each administration only allows so many in the C group. These are kids that do not qualify for the university if they were not athletes. Simply put, LC doesn't have many of these at all. Nor do other PL schools.  Virtually no exceptions. That is the difference between us and the Colonial or the Socon. Trust me, I've lived it and seen it. Kids in the PL really are students first. There are simply no exceptions. May hurt some feelings but for this reason I don't see PL teams being able to consistently beat Colonial or Socon teams. You can find good athletes with good grades. It's really tough to find great athletes with good grades.

What I do see though is us signing more kids that can play at the top level of FCS. That is an improvement. the down side is all our direct competitors are doing the same. What's that saying, a rising tide floats all boats. Question becomes, how do we separate ourselves? I don't know if CJ had a Kentucky offer or not but I believe he had a offer from Youngstown State.. That's improvement. Getting a kid away from Marshall is improvement.

I also see an increased focus on kids understanding the value of education. Kids coming through now have been pushed in school, pushed with SAT prep. They understand the importance. I am actually seeing some Ivies land kids with FBS offers. An all ACC freshman of the year just transferred from NC State to Yale. Lead the team in receptions. Kids are starting to understand that the life of a pro athlete is not what it was and education will take you much farther. Average span of a pro career just dropped below 3 years. And with concussions and injuries, who needs it?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 10
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Previous Thread | Next Thread