Everything needs to change..... - Lafayette Sports Fan Forum

Lafayette Sports Fan Forum Forum Index

Lafayette Sports Fan Forum > Football > 
--- Everything needs to change.....

Reply to topic

Must be logged in to watch topics

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 pm

LeopardAlumView user's profile

From the way games are televised to the coaching staff, things need to change.  The only way I can stand to watch a game is to have to tune into the lehigh broadcast becauseLSN uses cameras from 1912.  Ive seen better high school games televised.  Either do it right or dont do it at all.  John leone and gary laubauch cannot get names right...our own players ....who they talk about every week.  And they havent done it right since theyve started.

Coaching staff is a joke.  Not one coach shows fire and passion?  Is it cuz they've given up??  Phil Hallahan is a major coach on this team...he wouldn't even qualify to become an assistant high school coach in the lehigh valley. Mickey Fein.....OVERRATED!!!!  And ever since Clayton joined the coaching staff the oline has sincerely sucked!  

Recruiting is the reason for all of this mess.  Everyone makes excuses for these injuries but if u recruited well enough yr in and yr out than u would have talent with the next man in.  No matter what position.  These kids are suppose to be serious d1 athletes.  Enough of the excuses.  Btw.  U wanna know their recruiting method.  Its this.  Oh lets go out and get kids from Chicago, Kansas, and all these other places.  It will look like Lafayette is nationally known.  We'll look good and we can tell people they were getting looks by bigger colleges but we took em.  When in reality.... Lehigh took a chance on a small school PA stud outta dom bragalone...right outta our backyard.  How do they win this recruiting battle.  We got snuffed just like wen we lost the nate eachus hunt.  Now we are literally gonna watch this kid beat us another 3 yrs.  when was the last time we recruited north jersey?  Hach always made sure they did their due diligence in that area. No. Lets not bother locally as much as we should.  

How much longer are we gonna be satisfied.  The kids on the sidelines watching the game dont give a shit. The coaches don't give a shit.  And what could possibly be the reason Tavani wears a headset? He does nothing.  Not a thing.  He shows no emotion anymore. Has a career losing record. Has all the money in the world.  Car...paid for.  House...lafayette owned.  Kids college to pay off....lafayette did it already.  And banking 6 figures to sit on the sideline with a headset on and looking like hes speaking with an Uber executive.  Cmon man.  

Awesome campus, awesome facilities, great equipment, great donors, shit coaches who recruit wrong for the program. And do u know who suffers??? The kids who are put in positions way over their heads and the alumni who care.  

Amazing how we were more competitive against major  scholarship schools before we had scholarships

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 pm

flyfisherView user's profile

Put down the bottle.  We have some very serious issues but not  much of this is correct,  we are all upset,  disappointed and whatsever else word you want to use.  The program is at a crossroads.  Let's see what happens.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Explain to me whats not correct? Please do so?

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Jpao92View user's profile

I looked at the game stats out of curiousity.  I assumed that they would tilt heavily in Lehigh's direction.  I was wrong.  Other than passing, and not by much, Lafayettw had all the offensive stats in its favor.   How was it so lobsided then?  Some lowlights:

First possession for Lafayette they Frankasaurus into a three and out.  Sure, establish the run.  They did that on the first play and second.  But keep in mind you need to keep the ball and score because if you get off to a slow start, Lehigh's offense would bury you early.   How did we know that.  Anyone who watched Lehigh play Colgate, the league champion, knew that.  

How many penalties can a team with such a low margin of error afford?  Face mask?!?  Personal fouls, taunting and excessive celebration.   Discipline took a holiday, I see.

Lost in the lobsidedness were some questionable decisions.  A 48 yard field goal?   Bet if they knew at that point how effectively they could move the ball, they would have gone for it.   An on sides kick to begin the half, basically telling Lehigh you were desperate while handing them great field position?  

Then there were the usual self-inflicted wounds.  A kick off out of bounds.  A fumble on Lehigh's goal line returned for a TD?  Not like that kid was fumble prone all year.  Or was he?  Hmmm, but I am sure the staff worked with him, or not.  

On the one hand, what could we expect from a 1-9 team.  On the other, I see why they are 1-9, I mean 1-10, and it rests largely on the leadership at the top of the program or lack thereof.

Last edited by Jpao92 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:27 pm

I agree with flyfisher that we are at a crossroads.  But I am afraid the powers that be don't see it that way.  Our challenge as alums who care about the College is to find some way to get said powers to see why it is in their interest to change the way that they view and handle athletics.  I have some ideas but am too tired right now.

I was not mad today about that game. We were 1-9 going in.  What could we expect.  Not mad, until however, I saw an advert featuring our favorite asshat AD and our President.  The gist of the add was that our athletic programs let anyone who can play, play.   No bias, no discrimination.  If you can play, you can play.   This is the tripe our idiotic leadership comes up with.  Earth to them, patting yourself on the back for complying with the law is silly.  Hey, I didn't get smashed and drive a car today.  Can I get a cookie from everyone of you on the forum?  

They have dumbed down the standard for success to comprise complying with the law and making sure everyone graduates.  Way to aim low there Lady and asshat.   Aim for the minimum, achieve the minimum pretend it is excellence.  

That is our challenge.  Upping the College's expectations and giving them a reason why it would support the College's larger mission.  Oh, and getting them to listen.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:07 am

LeopardAlum wrote:

the players do give a shit. You don't have a clue on that. Horrible comment.

We do have some talent. The kids know who can play and who can't. We have some players. We also have some holes. When you are 1-10 that is obvious.

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute. The school is tough. There are issues with the team. It's not a great environment with the team. The school socially is an armpit. The culture of the team is an issue but the culture of the school is a bigger problem.

Some things will change. How many, I don't know. But the older kids know things have to change. No way they/we go through this crap again. The good news is the kids are already talking about what is going to change.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:09 am

BPardView user's profile

Jpao92 wrote:

I was not mad today about that game. We were 1-9 going in.  What could we expect.  Not mad, until however, I saw an advert featuring our favorite asshat AD and our President.  The gist of the add was that our athletic programs let anyone who can play, play.   No bias, no discrimination.  If you can play, you can play.   This is the tripe our idiotic leadership comes up with.  Earth to them, patting yourself on the back for complying with the law is silly.  Hey, I didn't get smashed and drive a car today.  Can I get a cookie from everyone of you on the forum?  

They have dumbed down the standard for success to comprise complying with the law and making sure everyone graduates.  Way to aim low there Lady and asshat.   Aim for the minimum, achieve the minimum pretend it is excellence.  

That is our challenge.  Upping the College's expectations and giving them a reason why it would support the College's larger mission.  Oh, and getting them to listen.

I didn't understand this commercial either so I googled the link. It is a project supporting homosexual athletes to be out and proud.

Quote:
Gay athletes. Straight allies. Teaming up for respect

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:01 am

I think it goes beyond homosexual athletes.  It spoke to non-discrimination based on sexual orientation and race.  Again, that is something that should be unspoken.  The commercial to me was the College giving itself a big pat on the back for doing what it had better be doing under the law.  Thanks for obeying the law, big of them.

Lafayette, if you can play, you can play.  And if you can't coach worth a shit you can coach for life.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:31 am

NE LeopardView user's profile

How about that OLINE performance yesterday? Season high rushing and no sacks allowed. All returning starters are back in 2016, besides depth, that piece of the puzzle is solved.

Now we need some beef on the interior DLINE that can pass rush.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:37 am

Pards RuleView user's profile

NE Leopard wrote:
How about that OLINE performance yesterday? Season high rushing and no sacks allowed. All returning starters are back in 2016, besides depth, that piece of the puzzle is solved.

I agree NE. I was comforted by its keeping Reed clean - no sacks and for the most time he had the time. Defense knew Franks penchant for running so I was pleased we did reasonably well on the ground. Couldn't believe Desean Brown had 146 until I read in the paper this morning. Also D bottled up Bragalone who had a total of 88 yards, exactly half though on that TD run where he got outside and streaked.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:55 am

SixtyEighterView user's profile

Sorry to disagree on Oline- All year yesterday included it failed to block in the crunch time and yesterday gave the ball over to Lehigh early thereby allowing a very good offense to bury us early. The first series was 3 and out and the second was the long field goal into the wind occasioned by failure to continue the drive due to inability to get a first down.By the time they started to block it was 14-0 and we were playing catch up.Further the Lehigh defense was very vulnerable having given up almost as many yards and points to common opponents as we did. They were able to outscore their opponents.The line looked great last year against Lehigh and  our record against everyone else in large part due to offensive line woes was 4-6.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:14 am

bethlehempardView user's profile

Fordham got a bid and will play Chattanooga

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 pm

edge29View user's profile

SixtyEighter wrote:
Sorry to disagree on Oline- All year yesterday included it failed to block in the crunch time and yesterday gave the ball over to Lehigh early thereby allowing a very good offense to bury us early. The first series was 3 and out and the second was the long field goal into the wind occasioned by failure to continue the drive due to inability to get a first down.By the time they started to block it was 14-0 and we were playing catch up.Further the Lehigh defense was very vulnerable having given up almost as many yards and points to common opponents as we did. They were able to outscore their opponents.The line looked great last year against Lehigh and  our record against everyone else in large part due to offensive line woes was 4-6.

Online did a very good job yesterday.  That first 3rd down run you mention was not on the online.  I blame scheme or Brown.  Brown had 7-8 yards to run just to reach the line of scrimmage!  Either he should know that and get on his horses or change the scheme.  NO Oline can keep holes open that long.

Edit: I've repeated this year after year...our  O scheme needs to change. Very predictable with and occasional TE seam down the middle.  WRs are rarely open on the sidelines.  They have to rely acrobatic catches. meanwhile our opponents take advantage of holes in our secondary (the way a passing attack should).   Our running game relies on slow developing ride and decide runs plays. Our QB is not a consistent running threat so why do it?  Downhill running plays go a long way towards helping the rb and online get some momentum. I could go on and on...

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:26 pm

LafalumView user's profile

edge29 wrote:
SixtyEighter wrote:

Online did a very good job yesterday.  That first 3rd down run you mention was not on the online.  I blame scheme or Brown.  Brown had 7-8 yards to run just to reach the line of scrimmage!  Either he should know that and get on his horses or change the scheme.  NO Oline can keep holes open that long.

Edit: I've repeated this year after year...our  O scheme needs to change. Very predictable with and occasional TE seam down the middle.  WRs are rarely open on the sidelines.  They have to rely acrobatic catches. meanwhile our opponents take advantage of holes in our secondary (the way a passing attack should).   Our running game relies on slow developing ride and decide runs plays. Our QB is not a consistent running threat so why do it?  Downhill running plays go a long way towards helping the rb and online get some momentum. I could go on and on...

I agree our running back schemes take too long to develop, especially on short yardage situations. Several times Brown was dancing at the line of scrimmage looking for holes after spending 6 yards getting there. Asking an oline to sustain blocks that long is unrealistic. I would rather see a hole open up as the back gets to the line of scrimmage….the faster the better!!

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:25 pm

NE Leopard wrote:

With the scheme we run on Dline we are not going to get much pressure. They are told to engage the o linemen and stay in lanes and gaps. No spin moves because you can get out of your lane or get caught inside plus you turn your back on the play for a second. DE's can't take an inside rush, unless there is a stunt, because you loose contain. So after a while the lineman knows you are only taking an outside rush, you make yourself predictable and easy to block. All this negates the strength of our DE's. They are a fast group. Let them use their biggest strength. At DT we have no depth. We lost Alford to academics, Chuma filled in well but a 215 lb fullback/lber is going on have a long day at DT. We lost one starting DT for the year to injury. We lost Wright for the year. Fragpane came in as Lber and now plays DT. One of our DE's yesterday had never played the position until this fall. Andy Lubadov is still not  healthy. What do you guys expect?

On top of that we send 4 while the o line typically has 5-6 blockers. We only get pressure when we run a stunt or blitz. Most of our sacks came from the d linemen occupying the o linemen which freed up Bryant to blitz and come in unblocked. That is really the only time we get pressure, however it is effective. Plus with the shotgun and a 3 step drop there is very little time to get there. It would also help if we could cover a little better which forces the QB to hold on to the ball a little longer. When the QB is 7-8 steps deep and getting rid of the ball in under 3 seconds, we are not going to get any sacks.  Reed got sacked a lot and some of that is on the o line but some of it is on the WR not getting open so Reed hangs on to it a little longer.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Austin Peay just finished an 0-11 year for their eighth straight losing season. Maybe there are others.
Lafayette is not the worst but there must be change now.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:30 pm

The title of this thread is correct. I can't discuss specifics but the situation is worse than many of us thought. The program is definitely at a crossroads.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 pm

edge29View user's profile

flyfisher wrote:
The title of this thread is correct. I can't discuss specifics but the situation is worse than many of us thought. The program is definitely at a crossroads.

Tease.  Haha

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Right. Next year's homecoming opponent, Moravian.
The finances behind Lafayette's sports don't make a lot of sense but they don't anywhere in the league.
Putting $300,000 in scholarships on the field per game is an issue especially when a team is 1-10.
We have some good players. We also have several who aren't worth the $250,000 investment. That's not their fault.
We have more than our share of misses in recruiting.
I went over our list of current freshmen with a PL scout last year. He commended a few, said some were in the edge, didn't know about a few. There were three he was amazed by, two he insisted had to have some family or other connection. So far he was accurate.
It's not easy getting the right players but everybody else has done a much better job in the scholarship era.
Enough of this crap.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 8
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »